“Loved the Fitzpatrick!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fitzpatrick Manhattan

Save Saved
You added Fitzpatrick Manhattan to your Saves list
Fitzpatrick Manhattan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   687 Lexington Avenue, between 56th & 57th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #59 of 451 hotels in New York City
Brooklyn, New York
“Loved the Fitzpatrick!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Loved this place. An important caveat that might cloud my glowing review: my employer picked up the tab and I found myself upgraded to a suite. If I wasn't traveling on someone else's dime, it's unlikely that I would have been in this hotel. Nonetheless, I loved it and thoroughly recommend it.

Hurricane Sandy was bearing down on New York and my nearby employer put many of us at a nearby hotel.

It is an elegant hotel, in good shape. Room was modern and luxurious. Bed was extremely comfortable and the suite I was in was absolutely amazing. Just wish that I was staying with a wife or girlfriend, instead of solo for work.

Great location at Lex and 57th which is perfect as a base for anyone visiting New York City. Plenty of Irish accents, both on the part of the highly efficient staff and hotel guests.

Really a nice property and couldn't ask for anything more.

Perfect place for business or out of town visitors, provided it meets the budget.

Room Tip: Try to Avoid Rooms on Lexington Avenue; It's Loud, Even on a Higher Floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Shane C, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Manhattan, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Frqflier,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I appreciate you doing so.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you found our stay to be helpful and friendly. I know that they will be thrilled to learn of your kind words.

Once again thank you for staying with us and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to one of the Fitzpatrick family hotels in the future.

573 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We arrived the morning after Sandy had hit the city to Fitzpatrick Manhattan to a wonderful welcome. That is what makes the difference with this hotel - the people who work there - from the front desk to the bar/restaurant staff to housekeeping. All extremely chatty and cheerful - they took a genuine interest in our trip and couldn't have being more courteous. Room was extremely quite and all facilities were to hand - wanted for nothing. Being able to use the computer in the lobby was fantastic as we we able to rebook flights easily. A big thank you to Shane and his wonderful team - we will be back. E & D.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear E M,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post your review and I certainly appreciate you doing so.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and in particular found the team to be both helpful and friendly. I know that they will be thrilled to learn of your positive review.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Being Irish, I heard a lot about Fitzpatricks so was looking forward to staying there. Unfortunately the experience didn't live up to my expectations. The lobby was very small and the rooms were very shabby. We got room service and the food was obviously not freshly cooked. On second floor, had to be the noisiest room I've ever stayed in. Ordered porridge with berries for breakfast by the time the berries arrived after asking 3 different people, the porridge was stodgy and cold. Overall, a big expensive let down.

Stayed November 2012
Dear Suzannesher,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Manhattan and for taking the time to post your review on the hotel.

I would like to apologise for the issues you encountered during your stay and eack of them will be addressed with the team members concerned. I do hope you will contact me directly so that I may fully address the issues personally with you. My email address is scookman@fitzpatrickhotels.com.

Once again thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Manhattan.

Bedminster, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Fitzpatrick Manhattan for a friend's wedding in August 2012. We had nothing but problems with this hotel from the beginning. We thought the whole process would be easier, as everything was prearranged by the bride, and all we had to was book the room through their wedding block. We booked the room immediately, several months before the wedding. When we called a few weeks before the wedding to make sure everything was all set, they couldn't find our reservation. We were also given misinformation when we originally booked the room. We initially booked the room for two nights, as we weren't sure where the rehearsal dinner would be. We were told, if we needed to, at a later time, we could adjust the reservation (with no problems or penalties.) When we called to cancel the Friday night and only keep the Saturday night reservation, they told us we would have to make a new reservation and would have to pay the full price for the room (instead of the wedding block rate.) We told the receptionist (who wasn't being helpful in any way) that we would have to call them back after checking with the bride. When we called the bride, she said that we were listed on her master list, but our name was spelled wrong, which is why they couldn't find our reservation (even though we gave them our first and last names, THEY initially recorded them, and then when trying to find the "lost" reservation, they still couldn't locate it under the bride's name.) After calling the bride, she said we weren't the only ones who had had issues with the hotel and gave us a direct number to someone who we could contact to iron it out. Fine. We fixed it. The hotel is fine. There are certainly many other better priced hotels in NY for you stay at. We were just happy to have everything worked out. When we went to check out, my husband noticed that we had been billed incorrectly and needed to have them fix that as well. Overall, it was a horrible mess, and would NEVER stay there again. The people were snooty and rude EVERY time we tried to work out an issue on the phone. If it weren't so close to the wedding date, and we weren't a part of the bridal party, we could have happily canceled our reservation and brought our business elsewhere.

The only positive note was the bridal brunch was hosted at the restaurant at The Fitzpatrick Grand Central (the other NY Fitzpatrick Hotel) the next day. Unlike anything/everything with our hotel stay, that experience was excellent. The food and service, during that event, was fantastic.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Carpediem29,

Thank you for staying at Fitzpatrick Manhattan and for taking the time to post your review on the hotel.

I would like to apologise for the issues you encountered in making and altering your reservations. I do hope you will contact me directly so that I may fully address the issues personally with you. My email address is scookman@fitzpatrickhotels.com.

San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stumbled on the Fitzpatrick in the days following Hurricane Sandy. We needed a hotel, and nearly every place in Manhattan was booked and/or hiking their prices sky high, so we felt lucky to find this hotel and manage to secure a room.

I would love to give the Fitzpatrick a higher score, because it has some real positives, and no glaring negatives. It's a perfectly decent hotel -- just very overpriced for what you get.

First, the positives...

Very nice staff. Almost every staff member we met was incredibly friendly and helpful.
Convenient midtown location, close to Grand Central, Rockefeller Center, Bloomies, etc.
Cheerful, tastefully furnished hallways and guestrooms.
Fairly quiet, especially for such a bustling neighborhood (make sure to get an inside room).
Comfy beds -- absolutely heavenly!!

As for the negatives, The Fitzgerald typifies a lot of older NYC hotels. Which is to say, it's just ok, and suffers from all the classic problems; tiny rooms, old plumbing, lack of temperature control, etc. etc.

Our Standard (Queen) room was postage-sized (and smaller than the room we were shown earlier, when we asked to view a room). I've stayed in lots of tiny NYC hotel rooms, but this was one of the very smallest. If the room had been even a little bigger, it would have made a huge difference, because otherwise, it was a nicely appointed room.

The bathroom was also small, and there was no tub (none of the Standard rooms have tubs).
When you flushed the toilet, the noise was so loud and lasted so long -- it sounded like the plumbing was from 1890 -- we had to call a repairman to fix it. And sometimes, it was hard to get enough hot water for the shower.

There was also no way to control the temperature. Whenever our room got too warm, we were forced to prop open the VERY heavy, small bathroom window, to get some cool air (if we opened the main windows, it would get much too noisy). Having AC - or the ability to lower the heat - would have really helped.

As I said, the room was relatively quiet, provided we kept the windows closed. But we also heard lots of talking from the nearby housekeepers' supply room. And there was some annoying, intermittent mysterious rumbling that may have come from the elevator down the hall
(unless it was the Lexington subway...could that be possible from the 6th floor??).

Bottom line: if we had paid $200 -$250 a night for this hotel, we probably would have thought it was an absolute find. But for $399 (!) a night, we felt slightly fleeced.

And so, the search for an affordable/quiet/nice NYC hotel goes on...

Room Tip: Standard rooms are tiny. Make sure to get a room that faces off the street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shane C, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Manhattan, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Boopboopadoop,

I am glad to read that you found the staff excellent and that you did enjoy certain aspects of the hotel.

We do offer suites, if one is looking for a larger room unfortunately due to the storm these were not available as we were trying to accommodate as main families as possible.

Once again, thank you for staying at the hotel and I hope that on your next visit to New York that you will contact me in advance of your stay. My email is scookman@fitzpatrickhotels.com

Area Manager/General Manager
Kells, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I spent the week leading up to Hurricane Sandy staying at the hotel. I have nothing but admiration for the hotel and its staff as they quietly and efficiently set about the task of realigning their services and accommodation in advance of the hurricane with customer comfort and safety their priority.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mike H,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and you found our staff helpful. Indeed I appreciate you mentioning that the team had guest safety as our priority.

I look forward to welcoming you back to a Fitzpatrick family hotel in the future.

Area Manager/General Manager
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Heard a lot about place but overall disappointing, Small and a little dingy with a pokey bar, certainly not somewere impressive. Not in centre of Manhattan,no real buzz around hotel,would not recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Geoff M,

I am very sorry that the hotel did not live up to your expectations and that you found the location not to be in the centre of Manhattan. Certainbly when it comes to Times Square we are about 20 minutes walk from this area, however as you know we are only minutes away from the shopping areas and 5 minutes walk away from Central Park.

I would like to extend my sincere apology to you and I do hope you will contact me directly so that I may fully address your review personally. My email is scookman@fitzpatrickhotels.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel

Been to Fitzpatrick Manhattan? Share your experiences!