“Snooty, not sassy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fitzpatrick Manhattan

You added Fitzpatrick Manhattan to your Saves list
Fitzpatrick Manhattan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   687 Lexington Avenue, between 56th & 57th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #83 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Bedminster, New Jersey
“Snooty, not sassy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Fitzpatrick Manhattan for a friend's wedding in August 2012. We had nothing but problems with this hotel from the beginning. We thought the whole process would be easier, as everything was prearranged by the bride, and all we had to was book the room through their wedding block. We booked the room immediately, several months before the wedding. When we called a few weeks before the wedding to make sure everything was all set, they couldn't find our reservation. We were also given misinformation when we originally booked the room. We initially booked the room for two nights, as we weren't sure where the rehearsal dinner would be. We were told, if we needed to, at a later time, we could adjust the reservation (with no problems or penalties.) When we called to cancel the Friday night and only keep the Saturday night reservation, they told us we would have to make a new reservation and would have to pay the full price for the room (instead of the wedding block rate.) We told the receptionist (who wasn't being helpful in any way) that we would have to call them back after checking with the bride. When we called the bride, she said that we were listed on her master list, but our name was spelled wrong, which is why they couldn't find our reservation (even though we gave them our first and last names, THEY initially recorded them, and then when trying to find the "lost" reservation, they still couldn't locate it under the bride's name.) After calling the bride, she said we weren't the only ones who had had issues with the hotel and gave us a direct number to someone who we could contact to iron it out. Fine. We fixed it. The hotel is fine. There are certainly many other better priced hotels in NY for you stay at. We were just happy to have everything worked out. When we went to check out, my husband noticed that we had been billed incorrectly and needed to have them fix that as well. Overall, it was a horrible mess, and would NEVER stay there again. The people were snooty and rude EVERY time we tried to work out an issue on the phone. If it weren't so close to the wedding date, and we weren't a part of the bridal party, we could have happily canceled our reservation and brought our business elsewhere.

The only positive note was the bridal brunch was hosted at the restaurant at The Fitzpatrick Grand Central (the other NY Fitzpatrick Hotel) the next day. Unlike anything/everything with our hotel stay, that experience was excellent. The food and service, during that event, was fantastic.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Shane C, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Manhattan, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Carpediem29,

Thank you for staying at Fitzpatrick Manhattan and for taking the time to post your review on the hotel.

I would like to apologise for the issues you encountered in making and altering your reservations. I do hope you will contact me directly so that I may fully address the issues personally with you. My email address is scookman@fitzpatrickhotels.com.

Area Manager / General Manager
Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stumbled on the Fitzpatrick in the days following Hurricane Sandy. We needed a hotel, and nearly every place in Manhattan was booked and/or hiking their prices sky high, so we felt lucky to find this hotel and manage to secure a room.

I would love to give the Fitzpatrick a higher score, because it has some real positives, and no glaring negatives. It's a perfectly decent hotel -- just very overpriced for what you get.

First, the positives...

Very nice staff. Almost every staff member we met was incredibly friendly and helpful.
Convenient midtown location, close to Grand Central, Rockefeller Center, Bloomies, etc.
Cheerful, tastefully furnished hallways and guestrooms.
Fairly quiet, especially for such a bustling neighborhood (make sure to get an inside room).
Comfy beds -- absolutely heavenly!!

As for the negatives, The Fitzgerald typifies a lot of older NYC hotels. Which is to say, it's just ok, and suffers from all the classic problems; tiny rooms, old plumbing, lack of temperature control, etc. etc.

Our Standard (Queen) room was postage-sized (and smaller than the room we were shown earlier, when we asked to view a room). I've stayed in lots of tiny NYC hotel rooms, but this was one of the very smallest. If the room had been even a little bigger, it would have made a huge difference, because otherwise, it was a nicely appointed room.

The bathroom was also small, and there was no tub (none of the Standard rooms have tubs).
When you flushed the toilet, the noise was so loud and lasted so long -- it sounded like the plumbing was from 1890 -- we had to call a repairman to fix it. And sometimes, it was hard to get enough hot water for the shower.

There was also no way to control the temperature. Whenever our room got too warm, we were forced to prop open the VERY heavy, small bathroom window, to get some cool air (if we opened the main windows, it would get much too noisy). Having AC - or the ability to lower the heat - would have really helped.

As I said, the room was relatively quiet, provided we kept the windows closed. But we also heard lots of talking from the nearby housekeepers' supply room. And there was some annoying, intermittent mysterious rumbling that may have come from the elevator down the hall
(unless it was the Lexington subway...could that be possible from the 6th floor??).

Bottom line: if we had paid $200 -$250 a night for this hotel, we probably would have thought it was an absolute find. But for $399 (!) a night, we felt slightly fleeced.

And so, the search for an affordable/quiet/nice NYC hotel goes on...

Room Tip: Standard rooms are tiny. Make sure to get a room that faces off the street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shane C, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Manhattan, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Boopboopadoop,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I appreciate you doing so.

I am glad to read that you found the staff excellent and that you did enjoy certain aspects of the hotel.

We do offer suites, if one is looking for a larger room unfortunately due to the storm these were not available as we were trying to accommodate as main families as possible.

Once again, thank you for staying at the hotel and I hope that on your next visit to New York that you will contact me in advance of your stay. My email is scookman@fitzpatrickhotels.com

Kells, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I spent the week leading up to Hurricane Sandy staying at the hotel. I have nothing but admiration for the hotel and its staff as they quietly and efficiently set about the task of realigning their services and accommodation in advance of the hurricane with customer comfort and safety their priority.

Dear Mike H,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and you found our staff helpful. Indeed I appreciate you mentioning that the team had guest safety as our priority.

I look forward to welcoming you back to a Fitzpatrick family hotel in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Heard a lot about place but overall disappointing, Small and a little dingy with a pokey bar, certainly not somewere impressive. Not in centre of Manhattan,no real buzz around hotel,would not recommend.

Dear Geoff M,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Manhattan and for taking the time to post your review on the hotel.

I am very sorry that the hotel did not live up to your expectations and that you found the location not to be in the centre of Manhattan. Certainbly when it comes to Times Square we are about 20 minutes walk from this area, however as you know we are only minutes away from the shopping areas and 5 minutes walk away from Central Park.

I would like to extend my sincere apology to you and I do hope you will contact me directly so that I may fully address your review personally. My email is scookman@fitzpatrickhotels.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Area Manager / General Manager
Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed in a suite at the Fitzpatrick for one night in early October. I was looking forward to staying there after reading many positive reviews here. I thought that the hotel was OK but wouldn't stay there again. The lobby was cramped with a tiny seating area. The elevator was old and slow. I was disappointed that my bedroom and living room looked out onto a huge wall with no view of anything else. The room was dark and dreary. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was spacious, however. The toiletries in the bathroom were very limited, and there was just a small shelf area in the bedroom to put my clothes.

The hotel was freezing because the heat hadn't been turned on yet. I was wearing a warm sweater with a shirt underneath and was so cold that I had to put a blanket around me to keep me warm when I wasn't in bed.

The front desk staff was uneven. The person that checked me in was friendly and helpful, but another staff person at a different time of day was cool and unfriendly.

The midtown East Side location of the hotel is great, but other than that it doesn't have much to recommend it. I'm not crazy about spending a decent amount of money to be freezing in my room in October.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not facing a wall.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Wanderingafar,

I am delighted that you found the hotel to be in a good location. I note your comments in relation to the room and hope that you might contact me in person, my email is scookman@fitzpatrickhotels.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Malmö
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This was my 5th hotel during a 2 weeks travel in the States. The other ones was high quality hotels (TAJ, Trump, The James) so Fitz had a hard time since I compared it with my last nights stays. Even though is Fitz not a good hotel. My hotel before was the James who is a chic boutique hotel so I wanted soething different. I chosed Fitz because I thought it was genuine english style when its as it best. The website gave that promise but reality was not fun. Quite worn and with lack of style and finesse. I really dislike when hotels try to pretend something they are not.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is one of the few times that I don't think the reviewers at TripAdvisor got correct. I suppose part of any experience is the expectations you set, and between the reviews on TA, and the hotel's website, my expectations were higher than I should have allowed them to be.

I should say up front that the staff was nice and professional, and I could see how many others have had a great experience - I'm sure if you're not semi-local as I am, and would need tips and pointers and assistance, that they would be excellent at helping out.

This property is stuck in-between the position of quaint, luxury hotel and run-of-the-mill average property. It has some great attributes, especially when you consider room size. I stayed in a suite on the 10th floor, which consisted of an oversized living/common room, a "kitchen" for lack of a better term (it was clearly a bathroom that had been converted to a space to hold food, but you can't prep anything there), the bedroom (same sized room as the living room) and a bathroom.

It's clear that some money and effort has been placed on upgrading this hotel, but it's also clearly a surface-only job. The carpets throughout were stained and dingy, and the towels were lower-quality than I expected (there were also only two, a pet peeve of mine).

The biggest issue I had was the windows. In the bathroom, the window had black duct-type tape sealing it shut around the entire edge (not exactly "luxury"). The windows in the bedroom were my biggest issue. They didn't shut properly, and therefore didn't seal out street noise. I wanted to cool the room off a bit as it was a little hot, so I turned on the A/C, set it to "Cold" and turned the fan on to "High" - though there was air moving, it wasn't cold, if anything, it was warmer than the room air - which forced me to open the window to cool the room off. The street noise then kept me from sleeping - it's surprising the number of trucks that seem to relentlessly drive past in the middle of the night - squeaky brakes, sirens, garbage trucks, etc. I felt like I was woken up every 5 minutes. The funny thing is, even if the A/C worked, I suspect I would have had the same problem - I had to push extremely hard on the window to close it, and the latch barely engaged, meaning the window would slowly slip open over a period of 5 minutes even if I were to get it fully closed. If anything, I'm happy I wasn't staying in this room in the dead of winter, otherwise it would have been a situation where I'd have the heat blasting because of the cold air that would have been leaking in.

I wanted desperately to like this hotel - great price, location was ideal for what I was doing (and hotels in that area are generally bad), and the room size sounded great - but considering I was barely able to sleep, I probably won't return.

I have stayed at about 3 other hotels in a 5-block radius from this one, and I'd have to say that you get what you pay for - so unless this hotel is really cheap, and you don't care about the noise, HVAC issues, or dingy carpets - book somewhere else. Sorry! I really wanted to like it!

Room Tip: Perhaps a higher floor would yield less street noise through the windows...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Shane C, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Manhattan, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear NewYorkStrider,

Thank you for staing at the Fiztparick Manhattan and for taking the time to post your review on the hotel.

I would like to apologise for the issues you encountered during your stay and each of them will be addressed forthwith. I am delighted to read that you found the staff to be helpful. I do hope you will contact me directly so that i may fully address the issues personally with you. My email address is scookman@fitzpatrickhotels.com.

Once again thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Manhattan.

Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel

Been to Fitzpatrick Manhattan? Share your experiences!