“"Great Service"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SIXTY LES

Save Saved
You added SIXTY LES to your Saves list
SIXTY LES
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   190 Allen Street, Lower East Side, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #132 of 453 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Maryland
“"Great Service"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at the Thompson LES for a night while in town for business. Overall, I thought the hotel was very nice. The room was clean (I appreciate hardwood floors) and well appointed and the location was pretty good too if you're planning on being downtown. The best part of my experience was the service. Right when I arrived, I was greeted warmly outside the hotel by one of the staff. He offered to take my bag (which is always nice even though it was unnecessary), waited while I checked in, and radioed someone else to hold the elevator for me as I walked from the desk to the elevator banks. When I came back downstairs to leave for my meeting, the same man was in the lobby and he ran out to hail a cab for me. That's what I call service!!! The rest of the staff was just as warm and friendly and even though I was there for less than 24 hours, I certainly appreciated the hospitality. I'll definitely give the hotel another try during my next visit.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor to avoid the street noise and construction noise.
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Wow, what a great review!

Everyone here was so excited to read your review. We’re all really passionate about creating wonderful experiences and memories and it is so nice to see we were able to do so for you.

We all hope you had a safe trip home, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

good location, trendy looking bar area. Downsides , the rooms are starting to look tatty.The corridors look like those in a gruby hostel. The room i was in had issues with pipes and i was up all night.

There is a lot of design over substance.

The reception staff were frankly rude.Wont be staying here again. For 500 us a night i can do better.

Room Tip: i didnt have a quiet room.
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hello, DogDuckCow-

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. We always welcome constructive criticism and yours is no exception. I’m very sorry that our design wasn’t completely to your liking. We do tend to receive a good number of positive comments regarding our property, and I’m sure the design of our hallways and rooms will be well received by most travelers.

Our reception staff does pride themselves on being one of the most welcoming and friendly in the city with them often having fun “competitions” to see who can get the most positive comments from our guests, so I’m very sorry to see that we missed on exceeding your expectations. Whatever happened was surely a one-off, and I am confident that, given a second opportunity, you would have a wonderful experience at Thompson LES.

We believe that no guest should leave here unsatisfied, so I will be reaching out to you via a private message to see if I can assist you further.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently booked my parents into the Thompson LES for 4 nights. I think the hotel might have been a bit too edgy for them without the same service levels they're used to, and unfortunately they weren't impressed. My impression of visiting them at the hotel was good though (they asked me to write this review though about some of the things they think could use improvement).

While the hotel is in a great location and is 'hip' with a young crowd in the lobby bar/music lounges downstairs, there were service issues with staying. First, the most unpleasant surprise on arrival was that the bathroom hadn't been cleaned - there was actually residue from a previous occupants party or something all over the walls. My impression of the bathroom, not staying there or having seen what they saw on arrival given the hotel immediately cleaned the bathroom after being alerted, was that the bathroom/shower were large, modern and very cool.

The next complaint had to do with the buildings fire alarm going off at 7.30am their first morning (they think maybe someone had been smoking in the halls given a strong cigarette smell). While unpleasant, it at least kept them from oversleeping and being late for a meeting.

Also, when having a pre-dinner drink in the lounge on the 1st floor (one floor up from entry), the hot drinks that were ordered were actually cold.

The last complaint was that the TV wasn't getting clear reception with lots of distortion and low def programming that came in and out.

All in all, I think after the initial surprises they had a decent stay at the hotel even though I don't think they'd ever ask to stay there again. The hotel was helpful and quick to take care of the serious issues that they experienced, but for a higher ranking the hotel shouldn't have had these problems in the first place. I think a younger crowd (35 and under) would enjoy the 'coolness' of a stay here though...just not for everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Hello, Ian –

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your parent’s recent experience with us. Your open and honest feedback is certainly appreciated. We are all very sorry for the troubles they experienced.

Ensuring the satisfaction of all our guests is our top priority here, and I’m glad to see that their concerns were addressed appropriately as they were reported to us.

Should they wish to give us another try, I would love to welcome them back personally. Please feel free to reach out to me directly anytime for assistance with making a reservation, and I will ensure they have a great Thompson experience.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was recommended to this hotel by a family member and it was a great choice for me and my friends. Not only is it in a great location, but the rooms are very modern and clean. The front desk was also extremely helpful and accommodating. The best part of the room was definitely the view from our balcony (we saw the entire new york city skyline).
If you're young and looking for a trendy place to stay in the city, i would definitely recommend the Thompson LES hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hi Veronica,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your experience, and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Fabulous location, great room with an amazing view uptown and downtown. Concierge(s) were extremely helpful for restaurants, salons etc.
Neighborhood is excellent - so much within walking distance.
Will definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Do not get a room above the club - I read this tip on TripAdvisor before booking and it paid off whe...
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hi Stephanie,

Thank you so much for the great feedback! We’re so glad you enjoyed your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

because when you realize around 10pm that you are above a raging nightclub you will not get any sleep. I called the front desk repeatedly and they kept saying they would ask security to ask the bar to turn down the music. It never happened, They claimed they could not change my room even after repeated requests. When I called at one point I told the night supervisor to send security up to my room so they could hear how loud it was and he said he did not need to do that as he knew I was right above the bar and they were aware of loud noisy it gets. What? Why would they even "rent" these rooms to people? There are way too many great hotels in NY. There is no point in staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hello, NYMTS T

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. We are very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations; however, your experience is certainly not a typical one at Thompson LES. We have many great rooms that are not affected by the noise from Above Allen. Next time your plans bring you to our area, please reach out to me directly, and I will personally ensure you have a wonderful experience.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The Thompson LES has a lot of positives; a location in an interesting area of New York (LES), the reputation of the Thompson brand, and a decent level of design. Unfortunately, those are outweighed by the negatives as below.

First, the staff at the property were unimpressive. They were generally unfriendly, and not particularly helpful. For example, on arriving I asked for directions to a noted nearby restaurant (WD~50 with one Michelin star) and the receptionist, after saying she had no idea about the local area, could not figure out how to even provide directions using Google Maps. There was nobody to open my cab door anytime I pulled up outside the hotel and generally the staff seemed uninterested. There were one or two exceptions, but their general demeanour was sour.

Second, the hotel does have a tired feel. While there are some solid design elements, the bathrooms for example, the standard room I stayed in had many nicks on the furniture with a thin wood veneer that did not look high quality. It was also quite small at this price point, even by New York standards. The upgraded room I received later on (read below) was spacious enough to feel like you were receiving value for what you paid.

Third, and this would be the critical factor for my stay, was the fact I was in a room which was directly above their night club. I was never informed about this, but quickly realized the fact when I woke up to a highly interruptive bass beat at 3 AM on a Saturday. I understand New York is noisy, but this was ridiculous. The manager offered to upgrade me at that point, which I did, but that was the least they could do. It was not particularly convenient to change rooms at 3 AM and no other compensation or acknowledgement was provided. Beware and always ask if your room is near Above Allen!

Overall, the Thompson seems to float more by its name and reputation than the quality on offer for a boutique at this price point. I could understand a 3.5 star with a minimum level of service like this, smaller rooms, and less than inspired furnishings, but hardly this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the night club on the 7th floor An upgrade to a Studio Suite is well worth...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to SIXTY LES? Share your experiences!