“Not for parents (60+)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SIXTY LES

Save Saved
You added SIXTY LES to your Saves list
SIXTY LES
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   190 Allen Street, Lower East Side, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #128 of 454 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Not for parents (60+)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently booked my parents into the Thompson LES for 4 nights. I think the hotel might have been a bit too edgy for them without the same service levels they're used to, and unfortunately they weren't impressed. My impression of visiting them at the hotel was good though (they asked me to write this review though about some of the things they think could use improvement).

While the hotel is in a great location and is 'hip' with a young crowd in the lobby bar/music lounges downstairs, there were service issues with staying. First, the most unpleasant surprise on arrival was that the bathroom hadn't been cleaned - there was actually residue from a previous occupants party or something all over the walls. My impression of the bathroom, not staying there or having seen what they saw on arrival given the hotel immediately cleaned the bathroom after being alerted, was that the bathroom/shower were large, modern and very cool.

The next complaint had to do with the buildings fire alarm going off at 7.30am their first morning (they think maybe someone had been smoking in the halls given a strong cigarette smell). While unpleasant, it at least kept them from oversleeping and being late for a meeting.

Also, when having a pre-dinner drink in the lounge on the 1st floor (one floor up from entry), the hot drinks that were ordered were actually cold.

The last complaint was that the TV wasn't getting clear reception with lots of distortion and low def programming that came in and out.

All in all, I think after the initial surprises they had a decent stay at the hotel even though I don't think they'd ever ask to stay there again. The hotel was helpful and quick to take care of the serious issues that they experienced, but for a higher ranking the hotel shouldn't have had these problems in the first place. I think a younger crowd (35 and under) would enjoy the 'coolness' of a stay here though...just not for everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Hello, Ian –

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your parent’s recent experience with us. Your open and honest feedback is certainly appreciated. We are all very sorry for the troubles they experienced.

Ensuring the satisfaction of all our guests is our top priority here, and I’m glad to see that their concerns were addressed appropriately as they were reported to us.

Should they wish to give us another try, I would love to welcome them back personally. Please feel free to reach out to me directly anytime for assistance with making a reservation, and I will ensure they have a great Thompson experience.

Joe

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was recommended to this hotel by a family member and it was a great choice for me and my friends. Not only is it in a great location, but the rooms are very modern and clean. The front desk was also extremely helpful and accommodating. The best part of the room was definitely the view from our balcony (we saw the entire new york city skyline).
If you're young and looking for a trendy place to stay in the city, i would definitely recommend the Thompson LES hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hi Veronica,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your experience, and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Joe

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Fabulous location, great room with an amazing view uptown and downtown. Concierge(s) were extremely helpful for restaurants, salons etc.
Neighborhood is excellent - so much within walking distance.
Will definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Do not get a room above the club - I read this tip on TripAdvisor before booking and it paid off whe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hi Stephanie,

Thank you so much for the great feedback! We’re so glad you enjoyed your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

because when you realize around 10pm that you are above a raging nightclub you will not get any sleep. I called the front desk repeatedly and they kept saying they would ask security to ask the bar to turn down the music. It never happened, They claimed they could not change my room even after repeated requests. When I called at one point I told the night supervisor to send security up to my room so they could hear how loud it was and he said he did not need to do that as he knew I was right above the bar and they were aware of loud noisy it gets. What? Why would they even "rent" these rooms to people? There are way too many great hotels in NY. There is no point in staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hello, NYMTS T

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. We are very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations; however, your experience is certainly not a typical one at Thompson LES. We have many great rooms that are not affected by the noise from Above Allen. Next time your plans bring you to our area, please reach out to me directly, and I will personally ensure you have a wonderful experience.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The Thompson LES has a lot of positives; a location in an interesting area of New York (LES), the reputation of the Thompson brand, and a decent level of design. Unfortunately, those are outweighed by the negatives as below.

First, the staff at the property were unimpressive. They were generally unfriendly, and not particularly helpful. For example, on arriving I asked for directions to a noted nearby restaurant (WD~50 with one Michelin star) and the receptionist, after saying she had no idea about the local area, could not figure out how to even provide directions using Google Maps. There was nobody to open my cab door anytime I pulled up outside the hotel and generally the staff seemed uninterested. There were one or two exceptions, but their general demeanour was sour.

Second, the hotel does have a tired feel. While there are some solid design elements, the bathrooms for example, the standard room I stayed in had many nicks on the furniture with a thin wood veneer that did not look high quality. It was also quite small at this price point, even by New York standards. The upgraded room I received later on (read below) was spacious enough to feel like you were receiving value for what you paid.

Third, and this would be the critical factor for my stay, was the fact I was in a room which was directly above their night club. I was never informed about this, but quickly realized the fact when I woke up to a highly interruptive bass beat at 3 AM on a Saturday. I understand New York is noisy, but this was ridiculous. The manager offered to upgrade me at that point, which I did, but that was the least they could do. It was not particularly convenient to change rooms at 3 AM and no other compensation or acknowledgement was provided. Beware and always ask if your room is near Above Allen!

Overall, the Thompson seems to float more by its name and reputation than the quality on offer for a boutique at this price point. I could understand a 3.5 star with a minimum level of service like this, smaller rooms, and less than inspired furnishings, but hardly this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the night club on the 7th floor An upgrade to a Studio Suite is well worth...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel has a very good location at the lower east side, around one can find many shops and restaurants and be a little away from the crowd of times square area. The staff was nice, check-in and check-out were fast and easy. The room was good and spacious, and even being on the same floor as the bar I couldn´t hear a thing. Two things I didn´t like: the blackout let some light in that was right into my eyes in bed; and the air conditioning that didn´t provide a steady temperature, but it was blowing air once in a while, again hitting me in the face while in bed, which caused me to feel unconfortable with the wind and feel hot and cold throughout the night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

A very NY style hotel.
We stay one week in agoust 2011, a couple with 3 years old boy.
We love the location,lower east side,no turistic place.
Walk distance from cool boutiques ,restaurant and bars.
There is a small pool on terrace.
We don't like the breakfast and generally the food,but it's pleanty of small and nice restaurant on the street.
At the end We enjoy our stay at the hotel and We reccomand ,if you want a different place in a nice area.

Room Tip: A suite in higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to SIXTY LES? Share your experiences!