“Missed Opportunity” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SIXTY LES

Save Saved
You added SIXTY LES to your Saves list
SIXTY LES
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   190 Allen Street, Lower East Side, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #130 of 453 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Missed Opportunity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The Thompson LES has a lot of positives; a location in an interesting area of New York (LES), the reputation of the Thompson brand, and a decent level of design. Unfortunately, those are outweighed by the negatives as below.

First, the staff at the property were unimpressive. They were generally unfriendly, and not particularly helpful. For example, on arriving I asked for directions to a noted nearby restaurant (WD~50 with one Michelin star) and the receptionist, after saying she had no idea about the local area, could not figure out how to even provide directions using Google Maps. There was nobody to open my cab door anytime I pulled up outside the hotel and generally the staff seemed uninterested. There were one or two exceptions, but their general demeanour was sour.

Second, the hotel does have a tired feel. While there are some solid design elements, the bathrooms for example, the standard room I stayed in had many nicks on the furniture with a thin wood veneer that did not look high quality. It was also quite small at this price point, even by New York standards. The upgraded room I received later on (read below) was spacious enough to feel like you were receiving value for what you paid.

Third, and this would be the critical factor for my stay, was the fact I was in a room which was directly above their night club. I was never informed about this, but quickly realized the fact when I woke up to a highly interruptive bass beat at 3 AM on a Saturday. I understand New York is noisy, but this was ridiculous. The manager offered to upgrade me at that point, which I did, but that was the least they could do. It was not particularly convenient to change rooms at 3 AM and no other compensation or acknowledgement was provided. Beware and always ask if your room is near Above Allen!

Overall, the Thompson seems to float more by its name and reputation than the quality on offer for a boutique at this price point. I could understand a 3.5 star with a minimum level of service like this, smaller rooms, and less than inspired furnishings, but hardly this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the night club on the 7th floor An upgrade to a Studio Suite is well worth...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel has a very good location at the lower east side, around one can find many shops and restaurants and be a little away from the crowd of times square area. The staff was nice, check-in and check-out were fast and easy. The room was good and spacious, and even being on the same floor as the bar I couldn´t hear a thing. Two things I didn´t like: the blackout let some light in that was right into my eyes in bed; and the air conditioning that didn´t provide a steady temperature, but it was blowing air once in a while, again hitting me in the face while in bed, which caused me to feel unconfortable with the wind and feel hot and cold throughout the night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

A very NY style hotel.
We stay one week in agoust 2011, a couple with 3 years old boy.
We love the location,lower east side,no turistic place.
Walk distance from cool boutiques ,restaurant and bars.
There is a small pool on terrace.
We don't like the breakfast and generally the food,but it's pleanty of small and nice restaurant on the street.
At the end We enjoy our stay at the hotel and We reccomand ,if you want a different place in a nice area.

Room Tip: A suite in higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Thompson during fashion week and I feel in love with the hotel and the surrounding area. I usually stay in midtown and I had a great time exploring the lower east side. There a tons of great boutiques and restaurants.

I loved my room - it had a small balcony and a giant soaking tub. In fact, the bathroom was excellent - I love when the shower and toilet are separated. The bed and linens were relaxing. I would say my only complaint was not having coffee in the hotel. But I did enjoy getting out and exploring the little local coffee shops (a cute little one on the corner).

I'm looking forward to my next trip to the Thompson.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I can't say that I have tremendous experience with hotel stays during natural disasters, but the level of professionalism, ingenuity and sheer kindness that the staff at Thompson LES showed during Hurricane Sandy was truly awe-inspiring.

We had already been there several days before the storm hit, and they were always very communicative about being prepared in all manner of scenarios.

When the power went out on Monday night, a very calm voice explained over the PA system exactly what was going on, what services will be available and how best to connect with the staff. We were also invited down to the second floor bar, where it seemed much of the guests congregated, and played card games and drank by candle light. And they even left a bottle of Makers Mark for us as the crowd began to ween.

The next morning, we headed back down to the second floor (there was one elevator working, thank heavens) where the gregarious chef was greeting people and directing them to the complimentary breakfast that they had waiting for everyone. They even had soy milk, which this particular lactose intolerant soul very much appreciated. The staff also ran a long extension cord to their limited generator power to run a TV set in the lounge so everyone could stay informed.

Disasters are a great test of one's true colors, and the staff at the Thompson LES pass with, and I hate cliches, flying colors. They remained ever-calm, ever-courteous and ever-helpful. They may not have been able to control the weather or the power, but they made this traveller feel as home as one could possibly imagine.

And for that, I will be forever grateful.

See you soon, I'm sure.

• Stayed October 2012
Roswell, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The location is absolutely great: the subway is across the street, taxis are easily grabbed. It is located in a trendy area that it is full of cafe, little restaurants and clubs.
Rooms have a good size. The breakfast is outrageously expensive like all the food at the "Ribbon", which is the restaurant of the hotel. For example, you will pay $ 6 for each little slice of sashimi (meaning $ 60 for 10 pieces of fish. The Internet connection is $ 15 a day, which is a robbery.
The service is very good.

Room Tip: Do not book rooms on the entrance side: they are very noisy, because the hotel is built right over a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on October 25th for a business trip (was not paying out of my pocket) and was staying on the 9th floor. Came bak to the room at 11:30pm to a blaring nightclub under my room and a stain on the sheets. Needless to say I will book elsewhere next time.

• Stayed October 2012
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

It is true that we have a lively bar located inside the hotel, and I’m very sorry that you were disturbed. We do offer many wonderful rooms that are away from the bar noise. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us in advance to request a room in a quiet area, as we will be happy to accommodate anyone.

Regarding the stain on your sheet - no excuses. This certainly should have been caught by our laundry company or when the bed was being made. I assure you that this is not a typical occurrence for our guests and you can rest assured knowing that we make all the beds with fresh clean sheets for all our guests.

We do hope that you'll give us another try so that you may enjoy a true Thompson hotel's experience.

All the best,

Joe Kavanagh
Director of Rooms
jkavanagh@thompsonhotels.com

Been to SIXTY LES? Share your experiences!