“Great location and very hip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SIXTY LES

You added SIXTY LES to your Saves list
SIXTY LES
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   190 Allen Street, Lower East Side, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #138 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Great location and very hip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

This is a very friendly hotel and right in the Lower East side.You can walk to Katz's deli and the not to be missed The Meatball Shop restaurant around the cornwer.It is open till the wee hours and the food is delicious and cheapThe hotel restaurant ia faboulous too.

Room Tip: ask for and upgrade which they give if available
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear birdie819,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we love hearing from our guests. We’re pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the Lower East Side neighborhood of New York to be enjoyable too. As well, we appreciate your comments about our friendly staff -we pride ourselves on offering great customer service. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Thompson Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Thompson LES would be a good choice for you if:
--You'd rather stay downtown than midtown
--You'd rather stay someplace a little more stylish than the norm
--You're either out late partying on the weekends or can sleep through the sounds of other people out late partying on the weekends
--You can figure out how to work the bath and lighting fixtures without having a snit

This is one of my favorite places to stay in the city, but I can definitely see why it wouldn't be appropriate for some people. Basically, if you're a yuppie or hipster or young tourist, you're probably going to like it. If you're older or on a family trip or looking for a calm, well-lighted place to return to at the end of a long day of tourism, you're probably better off staying in one of the larger places in midtown.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear Denizen,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we love hearing from our guests. We appreciate your great review and we’re glad to know that we’re one of your favorite hotels in New York. We appreciate your patronage and we look forward to serving you in the future.

New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Just stayed at the Thompson LES with my husband and young daughter in the Studio King Suite, a few days before Memorial Day (Wed night-Saturday morning). Here's a breakdown of our stay:

Good:
1) The staff at the hotel were super friendly, quick and very helpful when asked for extra services (i.e. making up the sofa bed for my daughter, extra pillows, water service at the pool, giving directions to a good local bagel shop). I read previous reviews about arrogant staff but we very fortunate and never encountered a rude staff member. With a young child (our daughter is 4.5 years old), we were happy to work with many hotel staff members that were friendly and helpful. We were on the 8th floor away from the elevator and never heard the street sounds of NYC, loud guests or the nightclubs nearby.
2) Location was great for walking to Little Italy, Chinatown, East Village, NYU, etc. and tons of nightlife.

Mixed (Good with Bad)
1) Outdoor pool was perfect for 80+ degree weather in NYC the week we were there. The pool staff members were great, the chaise lounges were comfortable for soaking up the sun but the size of the pool and surrounding area were small. Seats were limited and they filled up quickly with guests. During our stay, the pool was not available to use on Friday until 12:30 PM because there was no lifeguard on duty. The staff informed us that the guests were not allowed into the pool until a lifeguard was on duty. The news was very disappointing to my daughter who had to wait an hour until the pool was cleaned and the lifeguard was officially on duty. The pool staff did their best to accommodate my family and the other guests that were waiting to get into the pool (it was a challenge in 80+ degree weather). Thankfully, the pool was available early on Saturday when we returned to the pool the next morning.
2) Our room was huge (for NYC standards) and decor was modern but the room was extremely dark due to the black wood floors. The king sized bed was comfortable with soft bedding. The sofa bed was comfortable too. The A/C was working and effective cooling down the room for sleeping. The shower was stocked with Kiehl's toiletries and supplied good water pressure. With the black tiles, the bathroom was very dark. My parents are older and had trouble finding things when they came to visit the hotel room. Our room had a view of the pool which was nice for people-watching. Our daughter loved it.

Bad:
1) The elevator situation was terrible. You had to use your key to get to any floor. Great for security but if you did not put the key in right or did not wait for the green light before pushing the appropriate button for your floor in time, you were taken to another floor. Very frustrating. I've stayed at many hotels with similar elevator systems and the Thompson's Hotel system needs some work or adjustments to make things easier for guests.
2) $15 for wireless internet service. We didn't try to use a cable to see if internet was complimentary in that format but it was confusing since our hotel reservations stated: complimentary internet access. Annoying.

Overall, this is a very trendy hotel. According to my husband, lots of hipsters, Europeans and young people. Not exactly a family hotel but as a family staying there, we enjoyed the amenities and overall experience at the hotel. We've stayed at Le Parker Meridien (great burger joint in hotel and near central park), Millenium Hilton (great indoor pool and large rooms) and other hotels in NYC and the Thompson LES definitely had the trendiest vibe to it.

P.S. Rocky's Pizzeria on 2nd Avenue, across the street from AMC Loews Theaters (movies) had great slices (if you like sweet pizza sauce).

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Floor 3 is where pool is located (busy)
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Fun2Travel13,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we love hearing from our guests. We appreciate your wonderful comments regarding our staff -we strive to provide superior customer service and we're grateful to know that our service was exceptional during your stay. As well, we're glad you were able to take advantage of the rooftop pool, yet we apologize for the delay that you experienced during the Friday of your stay, but we hope that this did not detract from the quality of your stay at Thompson LES. In addition, we apologize for the elevator situation and we're passing you feedback along -we take all of our guests input very seriously and will address the concerns stated in your review.

Again, thank you for your time and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Having stayed at the Thompson LES a few times I have been continually surprised and disappointed by the pretentious and arrogant attitude of some (not all) of the staff. Mostly it's the reception staff that just have too much attitude which makes an unpleasant stay overall.

Concierge have always been super nice.

There are too many other great hotels nearby the want to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear outbackmatt,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we love hearing from our guests. We sincerely apologize for the poor service you’ve received while staying at Thompson LES, but we guarantee you that this is not the standard at Thompson LES or any Thompson property. We strive to provide and exhibit superior customer service throughout course of your stay from every staff member and we regret to hear that your experience was anything less than exceptional. We are confident that we can provide you with a remarkable stay in the future.

We would like to invite you to contact us -please send a message to ThompsonHotels or contact the hotel directly. We look forward to speaking with you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I found the hotel to be way to noisy! We stayed from Fri-Mon and every night we were either interrupted by drunken people getting home at 3-4 in the morning or the fire alarm (which went off 2 of the 3 nights we were there!). Nobody bothered announcing it was a false alarm so everyone ended up evacuating the hotel in the middle of the night.

The decor was nice. Very modern with a minimalistic decor but I think they need to take better care of this place. You can see the floors were starting to chip (as it was wooden)and the walls of the shower were getting moldy in the corners.

I've stayed at 60 Thompson and I can say that one is much better!

• Stayed May 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

My fiancé and I were blown away by the service provided to us at the Thompson LES! Shivali, Megan and Noah helped my fiancé to plan the most romantic and surprising proposal. They went above and beyond the call of duty, and we can’t thank them enough! I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a cool neighborhood to hang out, shop and eat in.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

I checked into the Thompson LES on April 21st. I was informed that my credit card would be charged in full at check in for the entire stay plus $150/night security deposit (I was staying 3 nights). This was unusual and my credit card was declined for the entire balance. I asked if I could put it on two cards and was told a very curt "No, we do not do that at the Thompson". I then asked if the gentleman checking me in had any other suggestions and he told me I could pay for the first night/deposit in cash. BUT that I would 'need to come down first thing tomorrow morning and make arrangements for the rest of my stay and that my access key would be shut off" At this point I was not feeling particularly welcome which seems odd as it's a hotel.
A few minutes after entering my room a housekeeper was sent up to completely empty the minibar (despite my cash deposit). Not only feeling unwelcome, but insulted, I called my credit card company to see what the problem was and they informed me that there was already a $1500 hold on my credit card by the Thompson Hotel and an attempt for an additional $1500 charge which the credit card company denied (as it looked fradulent).
Basically the gentleman checking me in had put the hold on, neglected to inform me and then had me go through the indignity of paying cash and emptying out the minibar.
I then went back downstairs to explain this and the woman at the front desk was very helpful and apologized and offered to refund my cash. At this point I had spent close to 2 hours dealing with this check in issue. For the rates and reputation that this and the other Thompson hotels I've stayed at, I was not only unimpressed but incredibly insulted.
I realize that human errors happen all the time, but this entire experience left a very bad impression on me. The Thompson Hotel LES should review their check in procedures and inform their staff that guests should still be made to feel like welcome guests even when there is a problem.....since sometimes it's not the guests problem, but the hotels.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to SIXTY LES? Share your experiences!