“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

Save Saved
You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #321 of 449 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
UK
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

The W Hotel is a fantastic hotel and I really could not fault our stay there.
The location is brilliant, the hotel is stylish and calm which is great after a day walking round Manhattan. The rooms are faultless to with amazingly comfy beds and the view of Lexington Avenue was brilliant (especially as it was my first time to NYC!).

We also spent New Year's Eve there on another trip to NY, as our own hotel (Hudson) had closed all of the bars for a private party, leaving guests either with nowhere to drink or having to pay £180 for the priviledge of entrance. On this occasion, W Hotel made us feel very welcome, giving everyone free champagne and certainly weren't out to rip anyone off.

When I next return to NY I will not hesitate to stay at the W.

• Stayed June 2002

2,704 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2006

I had reserved a non-smoking room with a Queen bed. I got to the hotel late (around 11:30pm) and checked in. Right before I headed up to the room I asked if it was a non-smoking room, and to my surprise, they had slipped me into a smoking room with two beds! What infuriated me was they did not tell me they had done this, and then insisted that there were "no more rooms available" at the hotel, even though at least ten people checked in while I waited.

I finally insisted that the manager show up, who "tried" to help and I was finally too tired and caved in and took the room. It had been "freshened" up with air freshner, that obviously did not help anything.

Net-net - I wouldn't trust these "reservations" that these hotel chains try to confuse you with, especially these "swank" hotels like the W. I think it could have been that I had reserved with a special rate, and they probably just figured that they would give me the cheapest/useless room that they had for that price.

Buyer beware!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2006

Stayed at the W on Saturday 4/22. We were in NYC to attend a wedding at a much pricier hotel. Our room at the W was small, very small, but also efficiently equipped with all that we needed for an overnight stay. The lobby bars were hopping with beautiful people, a very hip younger crowd with big martinis. The hotel was booked full. Amazingly, our room was sound proof and we were not once interruped by hallway noise. In response to a prior review I can report that our room was very clean and the bathroom stocked with Bliss products. Subway was 2 blocks away and walking distance to all of the best shopping on Fifth Ave. Room may be too small for some couples, and may be too small if you have more than one suitcase. Overall, it was the perfect location for us with very good service.

Floyds Knobs, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

Sometimes I have to wonder what these people are used to that write such horrible reviews! Our four night visit was everything I would want it to be. The room IS nice. Very trendy and aesthetically pleasing. After reading all the reviews, I expected to walk into the tiniest room in the world. It really was not that small. Not large but it contained a queen size bed, that had unbelievably great pillows and comforter, a wrap around desk with chair, tv and wetbar stand, and a chair in the corner. The bathroom was shower only, which I prefer. When was the last time you took a bath in a hotel?! The Bliss products were blissful and restocked everyday. The towels were plush. Bathrobes provided were comfy. Snacks in mini-bar were unique. Room Service food was WAY too expensive, but with cafes everywhere open all night or late, room service was unnecessary. The staff went above and beyond. Very courteous and helpful. I saw some minor signs of wear and tear. Nothing that I didn't witness in every other building in New York. Our room was always clean. I will go back and stay with the W hotel. I do recommend it to others wanting to visit. I have to ask who really requires a massive suite when they travel to a place like New York anyway? The location is perfect.

NSW AUSTRALIA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2006

We spent four days at The W when in New York and were disappointed in the standard of cleanliness and maintenance for a hotel of this rating.
Our room was less than cosy - scarcely room to move around if we were both standing - and furnishings and bathroom were really rather shabby.
The downstairs bar attracted a huge crowd each evening, but as we did not join the noisy throng, we cannot comment on it.
The location was good, however, but we could not recommend this hotel to other travellers seeking a comfortable and quiet room in New York City.

• Stayed February 2006
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

Very hip, "Sex in the City" youngish, professional 30-50 crowd. Room was EXCELLENT, right down to special features like nice robes and FREE luxury bath products from the BLISS spa (on site). If you plan to visit the spa, plan ahead and make reservations as they were very busy, as BLISS is one of the best spas in town, known to NYC locals as well. Rooms were small (very little closet space). Plan to use your suitcase a a dresser, and hang up suits or dresses in the small closet, as we had no drawers for storage, but that was okay as the room was EXCELLENT. Nice desk with internet, CD player, DVD, TV, etc. The bed, is in fact, HEAVENLY, as the advertising suggests. Nice mood, throughout the hotel. Excellent, large work-out facility, with personal training available, as well as a BLISS spa on-site (no pool). Food was excellent. Drinks were good, but pricey at $12-15 per cocktail, but well worth it for the atmosphere and people watching GREAT location, on Lexington at 49th. Five minute walk to Grand Central or Rockefeller Center. Very active lobby with free "enegry juice shots" in the lobby every day - the mango was excellent! Helpful and cheerful front desk and concierge desk. Enjoy your stay at this EXCELLENT hotel! We will return.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

I have never stayed in such an awful hotel. We changed rooms three times as each one was filthy. The blinds were torn in every room, lumps of dust fell down from the bedstead, crumbs of food were all over the bed side table and the tiles were falling off the bath. I wiped the bathroom wall with a white towel and it turned black! Tha cord for the blind was so dirty I would not even touch it. Grime was moulded in the cracks.
I have photos to prove the state of the hotel. Even the manager , Darren, at the time stated that the 'hotel was in desperate need of refurbishment!' and he could not offer a better room. The manager of housekeeping could nto say anything when i wiped my finger around the bed, and an inch of dust fell off!! What a disgrace.
I have been in contact with W International, the vice president of operations and she still has not replied to a letter of complaint dated the 26th january. It is now April.
Every time i was in the hotel lobby i over heard someone complaining about something.
This hotel is a complete sham. The W website misrepresents this hotel, calling it a boutique hotel where guests can relax in a luxurious and outstanding hotel room. Honestly, what a lie!!!!!

• Stayed December 2005

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!