“people: stop kvetching already” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #329 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Canada, Kentucky
“people: stop kvetching already”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2006

There is nothing wrong with this hotel! All the staff I dealt with were quite friendly, the room was decently sized and compares favorably with anything less than a five star hotel in Manhattan, and the place was clean and stylish. People seem intent on comparing it to a motel room that you would find in the "fly-over" states of the USA, where everything (including many people) comes super-sized.

For a $160 internet bid (through one of those sites where you name your own price) this place offered fine value.

The only flaw that I experience was that the towels had a strange smell, like vinegar.

To get a room across from the Waldorf Astoria, the Benjamin, and the Barclay - Intercontinental, at half their rates seems like a great deal to me.

Stayed January 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2006

The W New York is a fine hotel. Expensive, but fine. The rooms are really, really small, but most huge city hotels are. The room we had was in excellent condition, very clean, and the beds were very comfortable. As some have mentioned, the staff is a bit curt and stilted, but certainly shy of outright rude. The room, although tinny, provided everything we needed; really, if you’re in a city like New York, how much do you see of your room—there is so much to do and see outside of your room! And it has a fantastic midtown location!

There are probably nicer hotels in the area, and some may offer better rates, so shop around. If you can get a deal on this place though, it is really a great hotel, in a great location and I would stay here again.

london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2006

Dimly lit narrow corridors that lead to poorly designed cells that lack space, style and sanitation. This is not a business hotel, it is a Delano wanna be road side motel. The pay tv did not work, the a/c made more noise than a city bus and the staff were basic. do not waste your money and spare urself the trouble, avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2006

I had already booked a room here before I read the negative reviews, so I was panicked that the mother/daughter bonding weekend I'd planned for my mom's birthday/retirement would be ruined. I'm happy to report that we had a fantastic time. I would guess that the outraged reviews might have something to do with cost-related expectations. Through the Starwood Preferred Guest program, I got a Wonderful NonSmoking room with 2 single beds for a rate of $199 a night. A steal for virtually any hotel in NYC. This same room is often priced much higher, and I admit that if I had paid $299 (or more) I might have been a bit underwhelmed. And like others have mentioned, we did have a problem with the heating/cooling system--the thermostat wouldn't go below 80 degrees. Okay, not the hallmark of a 5-star hotel. But within two minutes of informing the front desk, they sent someone straightaway to check on it. He confirmed that it was broken, and we were immediately offered another slightly larger room with a better view. (Both rooms, for the record, weren't nearly as small as I thought they would be, very clean and well-appointed.) From that point on, we had no problems, and what's more, any requests (i.e., for a foam pillow because I'm allergic to down pillows, or to stow our luggage for six hours after check out ) were handled quickly and courteously. Anyone who complains about "attitude" or that the hotel is overrun by the beautiful snobs have no idea what that pretentious hipster scene is really like. My mom--who is 59 and from the NJ suburbs--felt totally at ease and really appreciated "the organic vibe" of the place. To her, W was a glamorous oasis in the city, one that she would return to in a heartbeat. (Incidentally, Heartbeat, like many hotel restaruants, a bit on the pricy side. But it's tasty and holds a certain ambient appeal.)

• Stayed January 2006
Gloucestershire UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2006

We stayed in this hotel from Christmas day this year up to the 30th. All we can say is "what is all the moaning about". We had very good service from ALL staff members who were courteous at all times. The rooms were comfortable and clean with very nice decor and excellent soft furnishings. Yes, the paintwork in some (small) areas was slightly chipped but that certainly did not ruin our holiday! Only one small problem was that that Air Con was slightly noisey.
The communal areas were also very nice with a good hotel bar and "Whiskey Blue" both adjoining the foyet. I would stay in this hotel again as it is in an excellent location and would recommend it to others.

Orange County, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

***DO NOT STAY HERE!!! I THOUGHT THE OTHER REVIEWERS WERE EXAGGERATING, BUT TI'S ALL TRUE** My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights this New Year's weekend. The relaxing, hip, luxurious lobby is VERY deceiving compared to what the hotel rooms look like. Let me just say from the moment we checked in to this Motel it was nothing but problems. The beds are NOT heavenly, the AC knocks every 2 seconds to remind you its on, the walls are peeling, the carpet is beyond repair, and so on... The size of the rooms are beyond tiny (there are tons of NY hotel rooms that are standard sized.. you dont have to sacrifice... try the Sofitel) If I took the time to list out all of my complaints of this hotel and its staff, it would take me all day. They are totally not worth my time. This Motel is a disgrace to the Westin/W/Starwood name. And the attitude of the staff is comparable to any low quality greasy spoon hamburger stand. To pay nearly $400 a night for this is robbery. Again, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

I stayed at the W New York for 4 nights after Christmas 2005. The hotel itself (or what I saw of it) was pretty nice, I thought. Not super hip, but definitely nice and comfy. The trouble is that place is just not managed properly. I booked a king bed room online, but when I showed up they gave me a queen. (Call and confirm!) I had to go to the trouble of printing out my reservation ($4.50 to use their computers!) to straighten it out, which I had no time to do for 2 days. Meantime, my girlfriend got bedbug bites from the queen they gave us! They did eventually compensate us for all that, though -- $100 towards the restaurant and room service. (Though even that was sort of a pain to get out of them.) The king room we finally got was excellent -- spacious, and with a proper tub. (I recommend the king rooms over the queens at all costs.) The place could be terrific if it were managed properly.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!