“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #329 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I took my sister to New York as her 21st birthday present. We spent part of the visit at the W and part staying with family and friends. The W was our first stop and we were impressed from the moment we arrived. The hotel is modern and luxurious from the moment you step out of the cab. Check in was smooth and we were told that our room was on the small side and as a result we were offered free wifi which is always impressive to a 21 year old! I visit New York regularly and I know that rooms can be on the small side - who cares when you have such a fantastic city on your doorstep! Having said that, we did have 3 friends come to meet us one morning - hotel staff showed them to our room and there was plenty of room for us all to have a chat and plan our day. The staff and facilities are great. There was a good mini bar selection. I will return.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hello LCW14,
Thank you for taking the time to send a review, and we are thrilled that you and your sister had a wonderful W experience. It always nice to receive a positive guest review and we will be sure to share your comments with our entire team. We hope that you will consider us again, and look forward to seeing you and your sister in the very near future. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are next returning to W New York. Thanks again for your post.
Anna M.,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The good-if you want to access things in midtown east, this is a good spot. The lobby and bar are very nice. The Bliss toiletries were a nice touch.
The bad-Yes, many hotels in NYC have small rooms. But, some are laid out better than others. In this case, one has to duck under a corner mounted flat screen TV to reach the far side of the bed. The electrical outlet was covered by the top of the desk and was inaccessible for charging phone, etc. The shower cubicle has one of those half doors, with a small panel that flips open. I ran into it twice. The rainforest shower didn't have much pressure, despite trying all of the settings. Overall, this is a pretty standard hotel for the city.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hello Gumby 54,
Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, and that you had a chance to experience our vibrant city. I’m very sorry to hear about your disappointment with your stay. I apologize that the room did not exceed your expectations, and I am sincerely sorry that you could not rest comfortably in our stay. We do have other rooms that are available in our hotel, and I hope you will consider giving us another chance at welcoming you back. If you decide to return, please reach out to me directly at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so I can help ensure that you are in a comfortable room. Thank you again for your post. We hope to see you again.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The hotel is well located for me as it is situated in an area that I move around in. What makes the differnce are the people; in this case it is David Nicholls the W Insider who is kind, friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and very authentic. I love his suggestions and always follow his advice. The rooms in the hotel are NY style small but I Iike them.

Room Tip: Great W Insider
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Hello Carole,

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback with us! I truly appreciate the kind words about David and our team. Our goal is to create memorable experiences for our guests, and I am excited to share your comments with them as a reminder of what we do best! You are always welcome at W New York. Please come visit again soon. Feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next trip if you need any assistance. Thank you again for your gracious review. We hope to see you again.

Colts Neck, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

we spent the extra money for a suite assuming that in between doctor appts we could go back to the room and in comfort watch tv. well no, the couch chair, I don't know what to call them are absolutely horrible. I wouldn't put them in a childs playroom. this is not the same as the W union square. The hotel is fine, but don't spend the extra money for a suite you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: do not get a suite!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Hello IrisG,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear about your disappointment with your stay. I apologize that the suite did not exceed your expectations, and I am sincerely sorry that you could not rest comfortably during your visit. We do have other suites that are available in our hotel, and I hope you will consider giving us another chance at welcoming you back. If you decide to return, please reach out to me directly at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so I can help ensure that you are in a comfortable room. Thank you again for your post. We hope to see you again.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Lovely hotel but lacking in the basics like an electric jug or percolator to make coffee. $US5 for a cup of coffee in the lounge. The charges were over the top.
The rooms were small, but very clean.
As we were out and about everyday we used the very expensive room for sleeping.

Room Tip: Have a fat wallet
Green Features: As with most hotels consideration to the environment was important.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello SydneyAvidTraveller,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent trip and taking the time to post a review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and were satisfied with the cleanliness of your guestroom. I apologize, however, for your disappointment with our offerings and amenities. We do offer complimentary coffee in the morning in our Living Room and deliver complimentary coffee makers upon request. I am sorry if you were not informed of this during your stay. I hope that you will consider giving us another chance and stay again the next time you are in New York. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your visit so I can oversee your reservation. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you again.

Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was my first stay at the W New York Hotel. Mere blocks from Grand Central, the W was super convenient to everything. I was able to check-in early after a little hiccup (my reservation for some reason was under my first name, instead of my last name & they couldn’t find it.) But the woman at the desk was very nice & we figured it out!

My room was on the 5th floor. It was a small room, but that is common for NYC. Very modern décor, but in need of a bit of updating. For example, went to hang a towel and the towel rack fell right off the wall! It was also very dark. Despite turning on all the lights, it was very hard for me to see enough to put on my makeup. The rooms could probably use at least one more overhead light or more light in the bathroom. That being said, the room was clean with ample closet space. No free Wi-Fi, which is a bummer, but they always had fresh apples and flavored water down in the lobby. And at night, they had someone checking room keys, so that no unauthorized people could sneak up to the rooms, which was nice.

My favorite part of this hotel was the amenities. Bliss Spa shower products, what a treat! I even requested more lotion when I requested an extra towel (2 towels for 2 people, I needed more than that), and they brought me a whole other set of the Bliss lemon & sage shower products. The mini bar was also stocked with fantastic products, but I didn’t indulge.

There is a bar in the lobby, as well as a restaurant and a bar/club connected to the hotel. I didn’t visit any of them, but if you wanted fun, you didn’t have to go far. Check out was a breeze, and we were able to store our bags while we walked around the city for a while. The gentleman dealing with bag check was delightful. Super friendly, polite, and with a big smile on his face. I wish I remembered his name to give him a shoutout. I even saw him deal with a rude guest, who was clearly in the wrong, and he never lost his calm friendly manner. Kudos for having such a wonderful staff member!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Hello Allynator2096,

Thanks so much for giving W New York a chance during your recent trip. I appreciate you sharing your feedback! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and were satisfied with your interactions with our talent! I am looking forward to sharing your comments with them. I do apologize for the inconveinces you experience in your guestroom with the towel and lighting. Would you kindly write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com with your reservation details? I want to make sure our Engineering team takes a look at these issues in the room you stayed in. Thank you again for your kind words. I look forward to hearing from you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the W in Midtown East this past week, and I lurved every moment of it. The first thing one notices is the decor - sleek and comforting. The staff are all professional and very helpful. I don't know how many times I called room service, but I always got what I requested. While the space was small - Cozy Queen, I did not feel suffocated. The hotel is also very convenient to other must-see places - Times Square, Rockefeller Center, MOMA, Central Park, and Saks Fifth Avenue. Whenever I return to NYC, W will be my first choice.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hello NaijaDiva,

Wow! I always enjoy reading about our guests’ great experiences! Thank you so much for sharing. I am happy to hear that you were comfortable in the hotel and found our talent to be friendly and helpful. We would be honored to serve as your home away from home when you visit New York, and we hope you will stay with us again soon. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you have planned another trip. Thanks again for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Anna M.,

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!