“Omg don't bother” 1 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #330 of 458 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Omg don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed one night in a room smaller than my wardrobe!! There was nothing at all wonderful about the "Wonderful" room we stayed in at all. You could not believe the size of this room. We looked onto a brick wall. The check-in staff member was rude. No one helped us with our bags. Breakfast was actually very nice. Hated this part of New York and only stayed there because we were attending the tree lighting at Rockefeller Center. It cost over $700 it was a joke.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

First of all, I have no bad comment to the staff or the service. Their concieges are very informative and very helpful. However, I have problem with their rooms. I've checked into other W and this reminds me so much of a Japenese hourly rate love hotel and the rooms are tiny. I will not go back as the value of the hotel is really not there. You can get a bigger room in other chain and with less money.

Room Tip: If hotel with hourly rate is your thing. Think that and remember they charge you by the day.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

If you want first class service at an affordable price in NYC, stay at the W New York. You will find the staff friendly and courteous, the location unbeatable, the room cozy and the bed very comfortable. Nick, the assistant manager went out of his way to accommodate me when he realized that the airline had lost my suitcase. He upgraded us to a better room and the staff checked with me every day to make sure I had what I needed. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have stayed here a couple of times, and every time I do I say I will never stay here again. I guess its close to where I need to be in NYC and really not too expensive, but seriously this is a pretty poor hotel. Some thoughts:
- Get rid of the purple..that was cool maybe 10 years ago..
- Reduce the volume of the music in the elevators
- Update the rooms - They are cramped and pretty dated. Add more power sockets
- The bathrooms are a joke..very dated + very small
- Give the people who work here a reality check...you do not work at a night club, you work at a hotel..lighten up and stop trying to act like you are someone special who has access to some super cool night club.

Now for the good
- The bar is pretty convenient
- Nice location

Again, all the above are reasons that this place does not work for me, but every time I go there the hotel is packed, so I guess there is a market for this kind of place (single leisure travelers, young couples, people who are into purple and bright neon lights etc.)

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Great location, good bar, functional gym, reasonably priced breakfast and pleasant staff. However, the room is small, bed hard and not very comfortable, noisy outside and some of the other guests were loud on our floor during the night. A coffee machine in the room would be a good addition but coffee can be bought in the lobby.

Room Tip: Get away from the street!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was in New York for the weekend with my daughter to celebrate her 9th birthday and take her to the New York City Ballet's performance of the Nutcracker. I lived in New York in the past and have travelled extensively and therefore I feel I have enough experience to recognize and truly appreciate a great experience. From the maintenance personnel, concierge, room service and the front desk, everyone was very pleasant and helpful. The staff took it upon themselves to make sure my daughters birthday weekend was one to remember.

I look forward to my next visit to New York and staying at the W.

Room Tip: Let the front desk know your specific likes or needs
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello Scosan,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We were honored to be a part of your daughter’s birthday celebrations, and WOW – I couldn’t be happier to learn about your great experience with us! Our goal is to provide our guests with an enjoyable visit from start to finish, and I’m delighted that my team helped make this an unforgettable weekend! I am looking forward to sharing your comments with them as a reminder of what we do best! You and your family are welcome at W New York anytime. Please reach out to me directly at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you need any assistance with future visits. Thanks again for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

All the best,
Anna M.,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Lovely hotel in a great location with walking distance to pretty much everywhere we needed to go. The room was small but didn't bother us at all, bathroom was lovely although shower tended to spray everywhere! Amenity kit was great. Cleaning staff were so friendly as were the doormen, always there to help with bags, hailing taxis, holding umbrellas, they were great!

The concierge too were absolutely brilliant, always had great places to suggest and booked us into all the restaurants, every suggestion was super!

The lobby area is lovely, albeit very busy with several bars in the lobby area and comfy seating as well as the separate bar attached to the hotel which was lovely of an evening, great cocktails and not too pricey. The reception staff were perhaps the least friendly and helpful of all the staff and could perhaps have been a bit more welcoming. We felt we were trying to be upsold a bigger room, however, it did not detract from a great stay. I also experienced the spa and had a beauty treatment which was great.

I would definitely stay here again, I love the W chain and even though this is one of the originals, it still has that W spark to it that all the hotels in the chain I have had the pleasure of visiting have. Those complaining about it being pricey - we got a great deal and I didn't think it was expensive at all.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking Lexington, although noisy, it was nice to look down on the hustle and bust...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello CGrindlay,

Thanks for choosing us to help you celebrate your Thanksgiving holiday. I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit overall; however, I must apologize for the maintenance challenges you encountered with your showerhead and the unfriendly service you received from the Welcome Office. This is not the experience we want to provide our guests, and I’m sorry that this happened to you. I will be sharing your comments with my management team for immediate follow-up. I appreciate you noting your kind regards for our Style, Door Ambassador, and Concierge teams as well. We’d love to see you back again—you are welcome anytime! Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next trip. Thanks again for your review. We look forward to having you back!

All the best,
Anna M.,

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!