“Not sure why I stay here” 2 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #329 of 457 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Not sure why I stay here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have stayed here a couple of times, and every time I do I say I will never stay here again. I guess its close to where I need to be in NYC and really not too expensive, but seriously this is a pretty poor hotel. Some thoughts:
- Get rid of the purple..that was cool maybe 10 years ago..
- Reduce the volume of the music in the elevators
- Update the rooms - They are cramped and pretty dated. Add more power sockets
- The bathrooms are a joke..very dated + very small
- Give the people who work here a reality check...you do not work at a night club, you work at a hotel..lighten up and stop trying to act like you are someone special who has access to some super cool night club.

Now for the good
- The bar is pretty convenient
- Nice location

Again, all the above are reasons that this place does not work for me, but every time I go there the hotel is packed, so I guess there is a market for this kind of place (single leisure travelers, young couples, people who are into purple and bright neon lights etc.)

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great location, good bar, functional gym, reasonably priced breakfast and pleasant staff. However, the room is small, bed hard and not very comfortable, noisy outside and some of the other guests were loud on our floor during the night. A coffee machine in the room would be a good addition but coffee can be bought in the lobby.

Room Tip: Get away from the street!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was in New York for the weekend with my daughter to celebrate her 9th birthday and take her to the New York City Ballet's performance of the Nutcracker. I lived in New York in the past and have travelled extensively and therefore I feel I have enough experience to recognize and truly appreciate a great experience. From the maintenance personnel, concierge, room service and the front desk, everyone was very pleasant and helpful. The staff took it upon themselves to make sure my daughters birthday weekend was one to remember.

I look forward to my next visit to New York and staying at the W.

Room Tip: Let the front desk know your specific likes or needs
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Hello Scosan,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We were honored to be a part of your daughter’s birthday celebrations, and WOW – I couldn’t be happier to learn about your great experience with us! Our goal is to provide our guests with an enjoyable visit from start to finish, and I’m delighted that my team helped make this an unforgettable weekend! I am looking forward to sharing your comments with them as a reminder of what we do best! You and your family are welcome at W New York anytime. Please reach out to me directly at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you need any assistance with future visits. Thanks again for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Lovely hotel in a great location with walking distance to pretty much everywhere we needed to go. The room was small but didn't bother us at all, bathroom was lovely although shower tended to spray everywhere! Amenity kit was great. Cleaning staff were so friendly as were the doormen, always there to help with bags, hailing taxis, holding umbrellas, they were great!

The concierge too were absolutely brilliant, always had great places to suggest and booked us into all the restaurants, every suggestion was super!

The lobby area is lovely, albeit very busy with several bars in the lobby area and comfy seating as well as the separate bar attached to the hotel which was lovely of an evening, great cocktails and not too pricey. The reception staff were perhaps the least friendly and helpful of all the staff and could perhaps have been a bit more welcoming. We felt we were trying to be upsold a bigger room, however, it did not detract from a great stay. I also experienced the spa and had a beauty treatment which was great.

I would definitely stay here again, I love the W chain and even though this is one of the originals, it still has that W spark to it that all the hotels in the chain I have had the pleasure of visiting have. Those complaining about it being pricey - we got a great deal and I didn't think it was expensive at all.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking Lexington, although noisy, it was nice to look down on the hustle and bust...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Hello CGrindlay,

Thanks for choosing us to help you celebrate your Thanksgiving holiday. I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit overall; however, I must apologize for the maintenance challenges you encountered with your showerhead and the unfriendly service you received from the Welcome Office. This is not the experience we want to provide our guests, and I’m sorry that this happened to you. I will be sharing your comments with my management team for immediate follow-up. I appreciate you noting your kind regards for our Style, Door Ambassador, and Concierge teams as well. We’d love to see you back again—you are welcome anytime! Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next trip. Thanks again for your review. We look forward to having you back!

Newfoundland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Very nice Starwood property. Boutique hotel in a convenient location just 2 blocks from the #6 train which you can use to connect to Grand Central Station and then Times Square. Lobby tended to be noisy at night with music,however once upstairs we did not hear a thing. Rooms are small which is expected for NYC. The bed had to be one of the most comfortable I ever slept in. Everything you need is in the room including bathrobes, stocked bar and snacks. I would stay here again.

Green Features: They have a similar program as other hotels about re-using towels etc.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello CanadianIslandMan,

Thank you for your post and choosing us for your recent NYC escape. I am so pleased to learn that you were comfortable at our hotel. After a day of exploring the Big Apple, you need a place to rest and relax, and we are happy to provide a stylish oasis in the middle of the concrete jungle! We hope that you will stay with us again when you plan another trip to NYC. We’d be happy to have you back! Please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if I can ever be of any assistance. Thanks again for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again!

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was my first time staying in The W New York on Lexington. It was my first time in NY trying a different hotel then the one that I always stay in, The hotel is in a great location. The room was very small and when I say small - I mean smaller than my dorm room. However, what was more disappointing was everything else. Maybe I was expecting more out of the W hotel. When I walked up to the front desk to ask a question one of the staff was putting on her eye makeup and one of them was trying discreetly to text on their cell phone. The lobby was always bustling so I was assuming they would be ready to greet guests at any moment. I ordered a carafe of iced tea and was shocked that is was $20. I will pay a mortgage payment on a bottle of wine but $20 for a small thing of ice tea ? I ordered room service several times and everything was sub par at best. I also tried to order a bottle of prosecco when we arrived to kick off the weekend and it was undrinkable. To say the least I was so very disappointed. The TV didn't work and we had to call the technician in for help. After we paid $20 for a carafe of ice tea, housekeeping took it away while we were out walking, imaging my shock when I returned to no iced tea. I would think that the Starwood brand would be better than this and would take pride in one of their more visible hotels. The only thing that brightened the stay was the friendly guys at the front door hailing cabs, and watching the luggage - friendly, smiling and above and beyond. Going back to NYC this weekend and I will not be staying here. I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Kandice S,

I appreciate you giving us the opportunity to welcome you during your recent visit to New York. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience. It sounds like we were not able to exceed your expectations, and I’m truly sorry for that. We take our guest feedback very seriously. Please rest assured that I will be sharing your comments with my team for immediate follow-up. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I hope that you will consider giving us another chance and stay again so we can show you what we’re all about. If you decide to return, please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so I can oversee your next W experience. We hope to welcome you back again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First impressions of the hotel were great. Lovely looking building with taxi services outside - bonus!

Greeted politely at reception and had our cozy room upgraded to a wonderful room (larger in size) which was unbelievable as a free gesture for that time of the year. We really felt the luxury of this hotel straight away and the luggage boy talked us through the mini bar rules.

Lovely cozy bed, comfortable robes and good sized room and bathroom. The room was not huge, just enough room for two people, but on the bigger side for what you expect for NY. Our cleaner greeted us with a smile every day and asked if we needed anything for the room, she also kept our lovely spa toiletries well stocked up and even gave me extra conditioner for my large mane!

Hotel location is good and there is a Duane Read (mini supermarket) a 30 second walk away which kept us in good supply of drinking water and snacks. Also the Subway 51st & Lexington is 1 min away which was super convenient.

Thank you W for such a luxurious and accommodating stay throughout the Thanksgiving period.

Luggage holding room men were also extremely helpful and super friendly.

Will be sure to recommend to family and friends and will return when next in town.

Top Tip - make use of local duane read store for drinking water and snacks - prices are good and will save you money against the hotel bar when you simply want a bottle of water. Otherwise bar looks great space for cocktails.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Lauren,

Thanks so much for your fantastic review! We are honored you chose to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and I especially appreciate your kind words for our Style and Welcome Ambassador teams! I am looking forward to sharing your comments with them as a reminder of the memorable service we aim to provide. We would be happy to welcome you back again, so please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning another trip. We look forward to seeing you soon! Thanks again for your post.

Anna M.,

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!