“Pretty good city retreat” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

Save Saved
You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #318 of 453 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin
“Pretty good city retreat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I've stayed here twice for work, and while some may complain of the small rooms and bathrooms, it's New York, people! Space is at a premium. I find the small rooms cozy, and the beds are comfy. The lobby area has good seating and is a good place to meet up in the morning (I did not use the hotel bar or restaurant). My biggest complaint would be the thin walls - I could hear a lot of people in the hallway and people next door to me. Also, the front desk staff is not good/consistent about handing out the welcome packets I shipped to the hotel. There were a few times when they had to be asked to hand it out.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thanks for your review. While I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our Living Room and our signature W bed, I apologize for any noise disturbances and inconveniences at the Welcome Desk you experienced. I have shared your comments with my team so they can address these issues immediately. Thanks again for your feedback. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip. We hope to welcome you back again soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
São Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The hotel has the W standard of quality, but it is totally not worth the price. The rooms are just like in any other midtown hotel: tiny. The staff in the hotel was not particularly nice - they did not make an effort to accommodate any of our requests.
Location is the main thing about this hotel: it's very close to everything on the Upper West Side and Midtown.

Room Tip: Do not book the basic rooms - they are so small, you can barely walk around!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thanks for your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your disappointment with your guestroom size and the unfriendly service you received. As we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience, I’d like to hear more about your interactions with our talent so that I can share your comments with my team and address your concerns immediately. Please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your post. I look forward to hearing from you soon.– Anna M., General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've stayed at a reasonably good sampling of SPG properties around the country, and a few Ws. This one doesn't match brand expectations.....

I'll say this - the personal follow up from the GM was appreciated, but somewhat missed the point. I was pleased to be checked in early for a wedding and told the front desk that I didn't really care where in the hotel I was. Good thing - the upgraded room looked into a service alley of sorts. If you're not from NYC, you'll want to ask questions about where you are if view is important.

My big beef was the AC situation. It was on some sort of motion detector and turned off when I was out of the room for a few hours - came back to a very warm room to attempt to fall asleep in. The AC was LOUD - and one can easily hear other units thundering on and off.

The AC then went off while I was sleeping - leaving me to wake up in a puddle.

When I went to check out, the front desk was not honoring the SPG line - and admittedly was overwhelmed by the traffic at 11:30 on a Sunday morning.

I got a decent rate, and the location is awesome.....just come with expectations well calibrated.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thanks for your comments. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with the air conditioning unit in your guestroom and at check-out. I am sorry that you were not informed beforehand that our air conditioning units are motion-censored and that the noise from the unit prevented you from resting comfortably. I have shared your comments with my team so they can take a closer look at these issues and rectify immediately. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip to NYC. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

All of the W's in NYC have their own personality.

This W is not set in as happening neighborhood as say the W times square or the W Union square but it does have its strong points.

The lobby bar is cool along with the living room (the lounge found off the lobby of all W's) as well as the bar :Whiskey Blue...This is one of the best hotel bar scenes in NYC.
The rooms need a little work. Some need tile work in the bathrooms and some caulking. Overall the room experience is good. I would take suite level category only as the rooms for $239.00 are small.

The staff is excellent and very friendly/helpful. What you would expect from a W.

So in closing, you really cant go wrong with the W new York for a reasonably cost effective stay in NYC. It does not compare to Union Square but it is a very safe bet.

Enjoy.

Room Tip: suites on 8th and 9th floors are best deal.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for your post. While I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated Living Room and your interactions with our talent, I must apologize for the condition of the WC in your guestroom. I will share your comments with my team so they can address your concerns immediately. Thanks again for your feedback. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next trip. We hope to welcome you back again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We recently spent 5 nights at the W Hotel on Lexington Ave. We did not pick this hotel as we were staying with some friends and they had already booked it. Having read the reviews we were a little apprehensive but overall we very much enjoyed our stay.

We had an upgraded room on the 10th floor and the room was comfortable and clean, just what I want from a hotel room. True the bathroom was a bit on the small side but you do not spend your time on holiday in the bathroom unless you are very unlucky!

The staff we meet all were excellent especially the housekeeper we met at the lifts who gave us bottled water for free and wished us a good day.

The bar in the lobby was a bit expensive but what hotel bar isn't.

Would stay again if we needed to be in this area of New York

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to research our hotel before your visit and for sharing your comments with our online community. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had a great experience with our talent. I am excited to share your comments with my team as a reminder of the memorable service we aim to provide! Thanks again for your review. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next stay. We hope to see you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I literally laughed out loud when I got to my room. Thankfully, I traveled alone and didn't check a bag for the weekend trip. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had room to get to the bathroom. The bed was already pushed up against the window with a scenic view of the alley. It is in a central location with a cool bar. Much better to stay somewhere else and come here to party.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thanks for your post. I am glad to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy our Oasis Bar and Whiskey Blue; however, please accept my apologies for your disappointment with your guestroom size. I have shared your comments with my team so they may take a closer look at your concerns. Thanks again for your review. Please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip to New York. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Frequenting NYC more than 20 times over the last year for both buisness and pleasure and having stayed in 4+ star hotels, the W New York wins the prize.
Not only has the hotel undergone renovation and have visibly improved in all areas, its excellence lies in its outstanding hands on manager Anna, whom provides an open channel of communication and strives to make ones stay more comfortable, enjoyable and to feel your home away from home!
The staff are excellent from the door men to the smiling receptionist and freindly house keeping.
When one's stay is long, they offer a free upgrade to a better room category and extend other compliments. Bliss products in WC is lovley!
The hotel has a modern youthful feeling, the lobby is great, in-room dining is fantasti although as to be expected a little pricey.
Overall its the staff that makes a hotel shine and at the W New York they surley shine bright!

- Yazeed

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Yazeed, thanks so much for your gracious words! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found our talent to be helpful and friendly. I’m so excited to share your comments with my team as a reminder of what we do best! Please do not hesitate to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next visit. Thanks again for your great review. We look forward to welcoming you back to W New York soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!