“I was expecting more....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

Save Saved
You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #321 of 449 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“I was expecting more....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The location is very good. The room was way too small tough for this kind of hotel in NYC. Very nicely decorated and modern, very clean, but quite small for two people. If we had a lot of luggage it would have been way too cramped. We booked a deal where we would get breakfast for an extra USD15 and it was pretty mediocre. My friend told me the Times Square one is nicer. This is by no means a bad hotel but I have stayed in others in NYC for similar prices that were a lot better. Would I stay there again? Only if I did not find a room elsewhere.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your post. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences encountered during your most recent stay with us. I will certainly share this message with my team. With that being said, we are glad that you enjoyed our convenient location, and we hope we can welcome you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning. Again, thank you for your feedback. – Anna M., General Manager

2,701 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The good: Great service and nice people at the front desk. Clean enough and nice little gym.

The bad: Not that great for a christmas time hotel. The holiday vibe was there but not as much as somewhere like the palace or plaza. The rooms are tiny... Like... so tiny... even when they 'upgrade you for free' and the bar that is attached to the hotel has ridiculously rude staff. We were going to go in for a drink but didn't bother, doorman wouldn't even crack a smile.

The hotel was fine, just expect more from a W.

Room Tip: Just pay extra and get a suite or go to a hotel with bigger rooms unless you want to be on top of ea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for any rudeness encountered and your disappointment with your assigned guestroom you during your recent W experience. I have shared your comments with the rest of my team so we look into this further and rectify your concerns. Although our rooms tend to be on the cozier side, W does offer many room types and sizes to cater to all of our guests’ needs. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we hope we can welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Stay way average but enjoyable. Most staff members were friendly. Some were not. Not the best value for what you get, but not terrible. Great location in the city. Acura experience was a great addition.

• Stayed June 2013
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your post. Please accept my apologies for any unfriendliness encountered during your stay with us. I can assure you that this is not the norm, and I will be sharing this feedback with the rest of my team so that we can rectify this. With that being said, I’m certainly glad you enjoyed our convenient locations, and were able to take advantage of our Acura service. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning, and we hope to see you soon. Thank you again. – Anna M., General Manager
pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

There is nothing "Wonderful" about this W hotel. Despite all the hyperbole, the rooms are tiny despite "upgrades," the service is mediocre, and the space generally uninviting despite obvious attempts to make it "hip."

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I cannot explain how disappointed we were to read your comments detailing your most recent W experience. Please accept my apologies, and do not hesitate to e-mail me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so we can rectify your concerns immediately. Thank you, and we hope we can welcome you back again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Nassau, New Providence Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Maybe I'm a bit bias because I love this chain of hotels so much but the W New York is just stunning. The lobby was lush and the guest concierge was extremely helpful. I loved everything about the place. The room I stayed in on the 7th floor was very modern, contemporary just a bit small.

Maid service was prompt, security was enforced, everything was just gorgeous. It was a hectic 4 days in New York so I appreciated how comfortable the bed was. I was able to sleep comfortably and wake up quiet energized even after a quick nap.

It's a W, so it's quite pricey but it's worth it. The location was amazing too, I was just a few block from Grand Central Station. In short, yes I would stay again and definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! We are thrilled to see that enjoyed your W New York experience and the comfort of our signature W bed. Rest assured, I have already shared your message with the entire W team as a reminder of what we do best. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you again, and we can’t wait to welcome you back! – Anna M., General Manager
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

First time staying at a W - I usually end up at Westin or Sheraton. Area is a bit quieter for Manhattan which is nice. The modern decor and lobby atmosphere is great, but otherwise this hotel isn't very special. Rooms are small (and I received an upgrade due to Platinum status) and need updating - especially washrooms. Service was inconsistent - front desk staff were quite slow, and housekeeping staff did not refill toiletries each night even if things ran out. No in-room coffee maker. Decent gym. Free green apples in lobby! My room was changed during the stay, and the first room never had a bath mat or glassware while the second room had no soap. Platinum breakfast at the W Cafe met Starwood standard but was nothing extraordinary. Would only stay here again if the price was competitive.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies for the missing amenities in your guestrooms. I have already shared this information with our Style team so we can rectify this immediately. For future reference, coffeemakers are available at no extra charge upon request at all W hotels, and I sincerely regret if you were not made aware of this. Please e-mail me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return so we can improve upon your next W experience. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Milton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here with the hubby last Aug. The W is great for dining and the night club that they have on-site. Location is great for shopping as well as dining.
The rooms on the other hand are just way to small for me. I don't need a room that is large enough to hang out in as you don't spend much time in your room, however; being able to fit both luggages in the room and get ready would be helpful. The washrooms are very small and can only allow one person to get ready at a time.
Beds were very comfortable and plush.
Would stay here again but would just upgrade to a larger room. I believe we had the mega room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed our excellent location in the heart of New York’s Midtown East. With that being said, please accept our apologies for any disappointment with the size of your assigned guestroom. For future reference, W offers many room types and sizes to cater to the needs of all of our guests. I will certainly share your comments with the rest of the W team, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning. Again, thank you for your feedback. – Anna M., General Manager

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!