“Tiny room, great location, nice people” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #329 of 457 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Tiny room, great location, nice people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are small and inconsistently laid out, so some are far more comfortable than others. I do love that you can open the windows, which is not always the case in NY. Great location, lots of great restaurants nearby (and hotel's restaurant is not bad either). Great Bliss amenities. Unfortunately cleaning service is spotty, but otherwise no complaints.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor! Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience experienced regarding the cleanliness of your guestroom. I will definitely share this with my team so that we can rectify your concerns immediately. With that being said, it’s great to see that you enjoyed our location, Bliss amenities, as well as our restaurant, Heartbeat. Please send me an e-mail at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels when you plan to return, so that we can improve upon your next W experience. Thank you again! – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Having stayed at the W New York over a decade ago, when it was the first (and only) W, it exuded hip. After then staying a few months later at the second one, in Atlanta, I have to say the Lex Avenue location and vibe was the best. I like the W Atlanta, have some great memories of staying there, but it is no longer a W. So New York wins both in terms of long-term cool and overall surroundings. But with so many W Hotels, will it keep its edge? Time will tell.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! It is great to see that you have kept W New York as your preferred W hotel choice! We can assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences, and retain our modern, W style! We cannot wait to welcome you back, and please reach out to GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning. Thank you again for your feedback! – Anna M., General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I had read the reviews about this property and was quite concerned. However, they proved the reviews wrong. My room was clean and beautifully decorated. Yes it is modern...it's a W...if you want southern charm...go elsewhere.

It's NYC. Rooms are small. If you expect otherwise...go somewhere else. Our bed was comfortable and our room was quiet (which is difficult for any property in the city to accomplish)! I also loved the Bliss products!

The staff was incredible. They spoke to us about our stay and needs everyday. The continetnal breakfast was charming and just what we needed. They have had the best staff I have encountered at any Starwood property.

We enjoyed the DJ in the "Living Room" both evenings we were there. Blue Whiskey, the bar in the hotel, was also very good and friendly. Yes drinks are expensive. It's NYC...if you want $2 Pabst...go somewhere else!

Can't say enough about the location! It's close to everything, including the subway to get you downtown quickly!

Thanks W! We had a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Ask for non-adjoining rooms. It will keep it quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
What a pleasure it was to read your review! We love when our guests take advantage of our convenient location, and our lounge, Whiskey Blue. We are also thrilled that you enjoyed our signature WOW service. I will certainly be sharing this with my team, and please e-mail us at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning. Thank you for sharing your kind words, and we hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

It gets 4 stars not 3 because of location and staff, who were excellent. It is a touch too expensive a night for what it is. A touch too small in room size if used as more than a sleep and wash space. A touch too costly for extras. I am sure that adds up to a good profit and doesn't quite drive me down to a three. Margins. My tip to the manager - who cant affect price, size etc is to dial bag the sci-fi uber hip soundtrack in the lobby a bit. With JBL speakers (junk but loud as my sound engineer mate used to say) the heavy bass beats get deeply irritating after a while. Play music suitable for time of day. I would stay here again it traveling alone on business and definitely if i got a more favorable rate. comments re bathroom size lifts and corridors I worry were posted by very, very large people. I'm 6ft4inches 210 pounds and had no problem. I didnt use the Spa. Lots of fit and neurotic people did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are thrilled that you enjoyed our excellent location and the service provided by our W talent members. I will definitely be sharing your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what we do best! Please e-mail us at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you soon! – Anna M., General Manager.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

This must have been the smallest room I have ever stayed in, complete with small desk, small bathroom, and the world's tiniest hair dryer. Then they sting you for Internet access! I love the W model but come on guys, you can do better than this.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies for any disappointment with the guestroom you were assigned to. Although our rooms tend to be on the cozier side, we do offer many rooms types and sizes to cater to the needs of all of our guests. We also do loan larger, more powerful hair dryers to our guests upon request, and we regret that you were not informed of this. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so that we can rectify your concerns immediately. Thank you again for posting, and we hope we can welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Jacksonville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Just average! Good room service, beautiful lobby and average customer service. The room could of been more accommodating for the price. The chair by the window needed to be replaced. Honestly nothing to brag about. I will choose another hotel for my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with our online community, Amanda. Our guest feedback is important to us as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention. Please accept our apologies for any mediocre service received, and we invite you to e-mail us at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so that we can rectify your concerns immediately. At W, we do strive to uphold the highest level of service and to hear we have fallen short of that goal is something we take very seriously. Again, we appreciate your feedback. – Anna M., General Manager
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

For the price, this really isn't a very nice hotel. I had a very small, dark room and just OK service, even as an SPG elite member. I have stayed at plenty of properties in NYC, and can honestly say that this may have been my least favorite room I have stayed in.

The Good:
-Location in midtown - tons of good bars/restaurants within quick walking distance
-Earned some starpoints for staying here
-Whiskey Blue downtairs
-Some friendly staff

The Bad:
-Definitely overpriced for what it is
-Very small, dark rooms, even for NYC
-Most of the staff seemed indifferent and not very welcoming

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment with your guestroom and any unwelcoming attitude encountered through your experience. I can assure you that this will be addressed with the W team appropriately, and we are glad that you enjoyed our excellent location in the heart of New York’s Midtown East. Although our rooms tend to be on the cozier side, for future reference, we provide many room types and sizes to cater to all of our guests needs. In addition to this, we will be more than happy to provide additional lighting for our guests upon request. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so that we can make your next W experience a better one. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. – Anna M., General Manager

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!