“Hipster Vibe, Great Location, A Tad Pricey...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #329 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sudbury, Canada
“Hipster Vibe, Great Location, A Tad Pricey...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here mid December on our second NYC adventure. 3 couples, lotsa laughs. Not unlike most NYC hotels the prices are ridiculous, but we got crazy comfortable beds, in large rooms and a vibe of coolness...Love the W, too bad they hit us in the wallet so hard...

Room Tip: Breakfast next door in the deli is fantastic, also Starbucks across the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Carmen at the front desk made a stay for my wife's birthday very memorable. She arranged for chocolate covered strawberries to be sent up to our room. This truly made our stay wonderful. The hotel itself was very well appointed and the free car shuttle was a nice offering.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Marissa B, Manager at W New York, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience on TripAdvisor! I am so happy that Carmen was able to make your wife’s birthday celebration extra special and that you were able to take advantage of our Acura Experience. Please let us know when you are planning a return trip; we would love to see you again soon!
Newton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a weekend in New York to meet and surprise our daughter who was in New York on business. She works and lives in Singapore and we had not seen her for 6 months. Her twin sister flew in from Nashville Tn, and we flew in from Central Illinois. I quite honestly expected downtown Manhattan to be stuck-up and snobby, especially at a upscale hotel. I was totally taken by surprise! From our first greeting when we got out of the cab, to the bar on the 7th floor, the front desk people, the concierge, and the doorman that took our picture (after turning the camera around and taking his own)- the experience was nothing short of wonderful. We were able to enjoy Times Square, and musical, and some fabulous meals while having a close , friendly, comfortable place to stay. The view out of our window was great and the bed was as comfortable as home. The winter rates made this a true value. I highly recommend this Hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I spent five nights here just before thanksgiving. The hotel staff were incredibly friendly and efficient. The rooms were clean and well appointed. The free wifi was a real blessing. The location is perfect with subway access just a block away. Grand central, times square, 30 rock all within easy walking distance. We traveled all over manhattan with ease from here. The staff kept our bags for us on the day we checked out. They gave the impression that they honestly desired to make our stay better. Great hotel, great staff, great city
Asked for a coffee maker was brought a keurig machine, asked for firmer pillows no problem. Free wifi in room, dvd player, iPod alarm.

Room Tip: can contact concierge ahead with preferences, not a tall building so the views aren't picturesqu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Marissa B, Manager at W New York, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay at W New York. We look forward to seeing you both the next time you travel to New York City!
Durham, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

New York has been a place that I've always longed to love but sadly I had yet to encounter that "You've Got Mail" experience I have sought after ever since my first viewing of that film. You know that experience, the "walking through Central Park in the Fall, smelling bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils. Hopping into Starbucks on that brisk morning to order your tall nonfat latte with extra foam, and heading into The Village to stop into the local children's book store to hear a reading of Shoes, by Noah Streatfeild." Yes. That was the experience I have always wanted, and never has that happened. Every time I have visited I've stayed at some hotel that left much to be desired, ridden in some rank subway car to Times Square, where I find myself surrounded by angry and agitated tourists and locals who look as if they will mug me at any given moment.

For my 25th birthday I decided against my better judgement to give New York City one last shot. Thanks to a nice vacation package I found myself booking a weekend getaway to NYC, staying at The W Hotel. Being a pop culture fanatic, I have heard of The W Hotel and needless to say I was excited about staying here. I did research on their website and thanks to Trip Advisor I got to hear some first hand experiences from people, like me, who have had the opportunity to stay here.

My "unimagined W experience" started before I even arrived. Seeing The W responding personally to reviews on this sight was not only a shock but a foreshadowing of the amazing customer service I would receive throughout my entire trip. Paul, head of the Whatever Whenever Service was absolutely lovely when I emailed him about my upcoming trip. He put me in touch with the concierge team who helped me book my dinner reservations and provide me with directions to all the events I would be seeing whilst in NYC. Lauren and Marco kept in touch with me via email and upon my arrival to NYC had an early check in ready for me and an upgrade to a suite! Not a bad welcome if I say so myself.

I could tell you that for a suite it was tiny and that the view could have been better, but honestly it didn't matter. I was in NYC for goodness sakes and everyone knows NYC isn't a spacious city so you know not to expect grandeur square footage in a hotel room. What I can say is that the hotel was beautiful and was elegant and refined for such a modern hotel. The bed was ultra comfortable and I felt so pampered from start to finish-- with hot apple cider with a garnish of star anise in the lobby to Bliss beauty products waiting for me in my room, the W did no wrong.

What topped the whole thing off was how I never had to want for anything. The W seriously means it when they say Whatever, Whenever. I had a complimentary breakfast coupon thanks to my package deal and it was lovely. I got to take advantage of the complimentary Acura Car Service and our driver was lovely and so friendly, telling us of his favourite places to visit in Chelsea, our destination for the day. I even had Champagne and Strawberries waiting for me when I got back from seeing The Nutcracker as a birthday treat.

Never have I ever loved a Hotel more that The W and never have I had a better experience in NYC. My You've Got Mail dreams came true thanks to The W. They were my bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils and I hope you let them be yours too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Marissa B, Manager at W New York, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
First of all- Happy Birthday once again! Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay with the TripAdvisor community. We are so honored you selected W New York for your birthday celebration and thrilled that it was such a wonderful experience. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have you again soon!
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I loved the location of this hotel and right across the street from Waldorf Astoria. Do not use the telephone, that cost alone I could have bought a disposable phone and will do next time in NYC! there also was Internet charge but this is NYC. Beautiful Hotel, rooms were nicely decorated, pretty quiet could not hear sounds from adjoining rooms but the Ac unit was pretty loud.

Room Tip: Room was great
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
maidenhead
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Having stayed in many of the W Hotels over the last few years I was surprised that this one did not come up to standard.

The hotel feels a little tired and has not got any of the pizzazz which the W's are famous for.

The carpets need replacing, the corridors feel grimey rather than louche and seductive.

Starwood need to give this W a bit of attention - it should be one of their flagship locations!

if you want boutique feel in Manhattan there are lots of better choices - Mondrian Soho, 60 Thompson to name a couple.

Would avoid this particular W Hotel - NEVER thought i'd be saying that about one of these in the chain.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!