“Great experience & location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #329 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great experience & location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The location is the best, it is just two blocks from the 5th avenue!! The team is really nice and always trying to help. Lot of beautiful details as hot beverages or free use computers at the lobby complete the experience. The bed is really comfortable and the bar prices are very reasonable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Marissa B, Manager at W New York, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our great location and our signature W bed. I have also shared your feedback with our team to ensure your next stay is just as wonderful. We loved having you and hope to welcome you back to W New York soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I would give this place 3.5 stars.

The rooms were designed with a modern touch, but like everyone else I felt it was pretty small. I had a Superior Room, and while it probably wouldn't be too bad for a single traveler, its small size is pretty apparent when we had 3 people hanging out in the room. We didn't stay in the room that much so it wasn't a big deal. The tiny bathroom was more of an issue when we both were trying to use it to get ready early in the morning. Only issue was that the iHome (not sure if that was the brand) clock they had in the room was not compatible with my iPhone 4 or my wife's iPhone 4S. Luckily we did bring our own charger, but had to share it.

The best thing about the hotel was its location for us. Central to many of the places we visited on our trip (restaurants, theater, shopping, etc). Doormen were polite and always helpful in getting us cabs.

Whiskey Blue bar was nice to have, and we would have a drink there before heading out for the night.

Service was very good for the most part. Allowed us to check in early, accommodating when we made some changes. The only issue I had with the service was that on our final day we checked our bags in with the hotel before we left for the airport. When we wanted to retrieve our bags, the bag check in person was busy bringing down the bags for another guest. I know he was busy, but there were three guys at the front desk just talking with each other. When I asked if one of them could help us out, they said all they could do was call the actual check in bag person and ask him to hurry. I can understand if it were women, but these were three big guys. And there wasn't anyone else at the front desk requiring service, so it would have been nice if one of them would have gone beyond the scope of their job responsibilities and gotten our bags for us. We had to wait almost half an hour for the bag guy to finish with his other guest. And by the time he got to us, there were two other guests trying to retrieve their checked in bags as well.

Marissa B, Manager at W New York, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at W New York on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed our fantastic location, modern touches, and features such as Whiskey Blue. While it seems your overall stay was positive, I have shared your comments with our management team to address some of the challenges faced during your recent stay with us. W New York is always striving to provide the best possible experience and your comments are extremely valuable in this endeavor. Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and we hope to see you again on your next trip!
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel did not meet my expectations. When I checked in I was told that I was upgraded to a Spectacular room. It was anything but spectacular. I almost felt like I was staying in a dorm room based on the decorations and layout. The room was incredibly small (even for New York standards) and had what appeared to be a double bed (they claimed it was a Queen).

The hotel did offer to upgrade me to a King Spectacular room for the rest of my stay, which I accepted. The King room was much nicer, even though the bed took up the entire room. The new room was laid out and decorated better than the first. In the King room I at least felt like I was staying in a W.

The bathroom in both rooms were incredibly outdated and very small!

Bottom line, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Marissa B, Manager at W New York, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at W New York on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear your stay did not reach your expectations. Although you found your Spectacular King room an improvement from your initial room, your overall impression is not what we aim for at W New York. We do offer a wide range of room types which you can explore on our website with square footage and further detail to help in selecting the best room type for each guest’s needs. We would love to discuss your experience in more detail and would invite you to contact our Guest Services Talent Coach at Paul.Gambardella@whotels.com. Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Writtle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the W on Lexington Avenue for a 3 night stay in January. Overall we were very happy with the hotel, particularly the room size and general location. The service we received on arrival from the reception and door staff, and throughout our stay could be improved and wasn't particularly friendly or helpful. On the other hand the service we received from the concierge service was excellent on a number of occasions including some great restaurant & tour recommendations. The bar area service was very poor, but friendly, and the seating could be better positioned in the main bar/lobby to cater for different group sizes i.e. couples.

MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

great social vibe and lobby area but rooms are wicked small. the suite had a bathroom smaller than most normal room bathrooms and the couches are modern but not comfortable at all. would prefer comfort over look in this case. gym is decent and you get access to spa are which has individual shower/steam stall which are awesome. also it took forever to get front desk to pick up phone (over 10 rings) and 3 times i got trnsferred to concierge then disconnected. overrated overall. prefer the westin times sq to this hotel. the bar scene is only thing it has going..unless you get penthouse suite with outdoor pool table!

Room Tip: ask for studio room - dont get the mini europ style rooms which are the size of a closet!! literally...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Marissa B, Manager at W New York, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at W New York on TripAdvisor. I am glad you were able to enjoy our Living Room atmosphere as well as our fitness center, SWEAT and Bliss49 features during your recent stay. I am disappointed to hear you found your overall experience overrated. Although I have shared your feedback with our management team, I would welcome you to discuss your stay further so we can continually improve. Please our Guest Services Talent Coach at Paul.Gambardella@whotels.com. Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and we do hope to see you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband I stayed here when visiting freinds in New York. We usually stay in times square, but had a great rate here and decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. We were upgraded to a suite with super cool decor and separate living area. The room was spacious, well appointed, beautifully decorated and we had a fabulous time!

We also had a great time at the hotel bar. Very cool atmosphere and good service.

Our freinds stayed in a smaller room and it was really small - even for New York. Would recommend staying in a more spacious room if possible.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Flushing, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have stayed at many W hotels around the world before but I have never experienced such a disappointment in the rooms like this W hotel. I am from New York City and live in one of the outer boroughs and saw a Travelzoo deal for the W Hotel on Lexington Ave that would save "40% off the current rates." My hotel totaled out to be for $220/night for the Wonderful Room, which wasn't even 40% off but I still decided to book it since it was for a special occasion. The hotel lobby and bar are really nice but when I arrived to my room, I was very surprised at the size of the room since I saw a picture on the W website on what it was supposed to look like and it was way smaller and not as nice as the picture advertised. The bathroom was very old looking too, absolutely not modern like the other W hotels. The annoying thing is that the shower does not close completely when you take a shower. They leave a gap in the shower door (I dont know why) but all the water sprays out of the shower when you're showering. I've seen this at other W hotels too (Atlanta.) They should really just have a glass door that closes completely. The room was clean though except for the dirty wine glasses they provided. There was so much residue left on the cups still. Overall, I was pretty disappointed because I love W hotels and never think twice about booking one. I guess that's why I didn't even read reviews on it before booking - my big mistake, lesson learned.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!