“Expected More” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

Save Saved
You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #318 of 453 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wellesley, MA
“Expected More”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I had high expectations for the W. while the lobby bar scene was very hip and cool, the guest rooms left a bit to be desired. The beds and pillows were very comfortable but there is no clock in the room and no bedside lamps (only one on the desk and In a corner) so that you had to get out of bed to turn off the light. The bathroom was okay, very basic. Useless little travel hair dryer was provided. The Bliss bath products were very nice. I didnt sleep at all the first night due to the heater in the room. It sounded like a truck starting up whenever it turned on. The next night we changed the setting and it didn't go on and off so much. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was very good - a very busy part of the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Only stopped here with friends to get drinks before heading out to a party. Right in Time Sq so busy location. Great aura and ambience. Cool decor and very clean. Wish there were a window facing Time Sq but blocked out as vip seating instead.

• Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Have spent many evenings as guest of Starwood's Hotel W on lexington avenue. It is nearly as good as home away from home. Love Blue and the location, service is 'new york' which means with an attitute but accomodating. Clean. Elegat. Vibrant. Desirable. Conveient. Love to go back, its a New York kinfd of thing.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Love W hotels nice and funky all the time once again another trip to NY, and my 22 stay at the W here (i think) this year, love the location the staff are grate and had a good time, weather was cold but the hotel is what i needed.

Only bad think is could not get tickets to a game from concierge which was a shame, the rooms are of a good standard. Hip and modern same "w" vibe love it

• Stayed December 2012
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind and gracious words from your recent experience at W New York. I have shared your message with the entire WHATEVER WHENEVER team as a great reminder of what we do best! We're sorry our concierge team couldn't help with those tickets, but we hope to WOW you again soon!

Paul Gambardella
Guest Services Talent Coach
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I need to come to NYC for work from Arizona almost 2 weeks a month. I usually get in on a Sunday or Monday night and I am warmly greeted by Maryam who does all she can to make sure I am comfortable in a room! She is fabulous! Throughout my many days at the hotel, Derron McBride who works concierge/front door always checks on me to make sure I am well taken care of and am made to feel like I am home while I stay with W. He is one of the top reasons why I keep coming back to the W rather than the hundreds of other options I have in NYC. He is the best!!!! :) If you stay at the W- make sure you say hello to Maryam and Derron- you will be glad you did. Kristi of Scottsdale, AZ

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been to NYC many times, but usually stay with friends who live there. This was only my second stay in a hotel here so I don't have much to compare it to. We were welcomed by Erin at the front desk who could see how frazzled we were from our cab ride/walk through the crowds at Rockefeller Center. She promptly offered us champagne.
We had reserved a cozy room, which she said was very small, but she had a handicapped accessible (I guess no handicapped guests that night) that was bigger with a bigger shower. I felt the room was a good size for 2. The bed was extremely comfortable. Loved the bigger bathroom and shower. We were not given bar soap or shower gel and had to ask at the front desk on the 2nd day. Housekeeping brought up a bag full of Bliss bath products..not just the soaps we had asked for but more of everything. Our housekeeper (don't know her name) was great. We had forgotten to hang the do not disturb sign out while we went for a walk and breakfast so when we returned our room was clean, but we had not even taken showers yet. Our housekeeper offered to come back in after we left again and clean the bathroom and leave new towels.

We had a quiet room, which was nice (Erin had advised us of this at check in), but the lobby sure does get noisy at night. It seems like each hour the music gets a little more club-like and louder. We could not hear it from our room and we were not in the lobby except to walk through, so it was not much of a problem for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The W New York on a recent trip to NYC for a long weekend. We are loyal Starwood Gold Members and enjoy the W Hotels. We were very disappointed with our first room. The AC did not work leading to a miserable night sleep, the bed was smaller than the advertised queen, the view overlooked a back alley, and the bathroom so small that my husband had trouble fitting in the shower or sitting on the potty. (and he's only 6'/ 230) We were disappointed that this was the room they chose for Starwood Platinum status guests. We were even more disappointed that upon sharing our frustrations with the manager we were told they were fully committed and they could only offer us free breakfast....we found their "fully committed" explanation offensive as a quick check of their website revealed a variety of rooms in all types available. After a miserable, sleepless night of hot air conditioning we complained in person to the manager. He immediately moved us to a larger room and acted like it was no problem. This room was perfect and worth the $350 per night we were paying. I only wish they would have done the right thing right away as the first night did leave a bad taste in our mouths. The hotel location is awesome with easy access to Rockefeller Center, 5th Ave., and Grand Central Station. We enjoyed the Acura car service as a great (and cheaper) alternative to the crazy taxi drivers. Room service was delicious and I had yummy Banana Nutella pancakes. I also enjoyed the Bliss Spa as well. Overall the mid size room with everything else was great but I do wish we would not have had the unfortunate first evening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!