“Derron McBride of W Hotel- feels like home :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #329 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
“Derron McBride of W Hotel- feels like home :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I need to come to NYC for work from Arizona almost 2 weeks a month. I usually get in on a Sunday or Monday night and I am warmly greeted by Maryam who does all she can to make sure I am comfortable in a room! She is fabulous! Throughout my many days at the hotel, Derron McBride who works concierge/front door always checks on me to make sure I am well taken care of and am made to feel like I am home while I stay with W. He is one of the top reasons why I keep coming back to the W rather than the hundreds of other options I have in NYC. He is the best!!!! :) If you stay at the W- make sure you say hello to Maryam and Derron- you will be glad you did. Kristi of Scottsdale, AZ

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been to NYC many times, but usually stay with friends who live there. This was only my second stay in a hotel here so I don't have much to compare it to. We were welcomed by Erin at the front desk who could see how frazzled we were from our cab ride/walk through the crowds at Rockefeller Center. She promptly offered us champagne.
We had reserved a cozy room, which she said was very small, but she had a handicapped accessible (I guess no handicapped guests that night) that was bigger with a bigger shower. I felt the room was a good size for 2. The bed was extremely comfortable. Loved the bigger bathroom and shower. We were not given bar soap or shower gel and had to ask at the front desk on the 2nd day. Housekeeping brought up a bag full of Bliss bath products..not just the soaps we had asked for but more of everything. Our housekeeper (don't know her name) was great. We had forgotten to hang the do not disturb sign out while we went for a walk and breakfast so when we returned our room was clean, but we had not even taken showers yet. Our housekeeper offered to come back in after we left again and clean the bathroom and leave new towels.

We had a quiet room, which was nice (Erin had advised us of this at check in), but the lobby sure does get noisy at night. It seems like each hour the music gets a little more club-like and louder. We could not hear it from our room and we were not in the lobby except to walk through, so it was not much of a problem for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The W New York on a recent trip to NYC for a long weekend. We are loyal Starwood Gold Members and enjoy the W Hotels. We were very disappointed with our first room. The AC did not work leading to a miserable night sleep, the bed was smaller than the advertised queen, the view overlooked a back alley, and the bathroom so small that my husband had trouble fitting in the shower or sitting on the potty. (and he's only 6'/ 230) We were disappointed that this was the room they chose for Starwood Platinum status guests. We were even more disappointed that upon sharing our frustrations with the manager we were told they were fully committed and they could only offer us free breakfast....we found their "fully committed" explanation offensive as a quick check of their website revealed a variety of rooms in all types available. After a miserable, sleepless night of hot air conditioning we complained in person to the manager. He immediately moved us to a larger room and acted like it was no problem. This room was perfect and worth the $350 per night we were paying. I only wish they would have done the right thing right away as the first night did leave a bad taste in our mouths. The hotel location is awesome with easy access to Rockefeller Center, 5th Ave., and Grand Central Station. We enjoyed the Acura car service as a great (and cheaper) alternative to the crazy taxi drivers. Room service was delicious and I had yummy Banana Nutella pancakes. I also enjoyed the Bliss Spa as well. Overall the mid size room with everything else was great but I do wish we would not have had the unfortunate first evening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel the weekend after Thanksgiving. As some have said-the rooms are small-teeny really, especially for the price. The connection on the TV was horrible-even when we paid almost $16 for our daughters to watch a movie. Someone's smoke alarm went off in the middle of the night and continued for hours. It woke us and the girls up. The staff was friendly enough and the rooms were clean. The location is decent too. Overally, not a horrible experience, but in a city with so many hotels to choose from, we won't be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, DE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed for one night. The room was very small so I was glad it was just me. I think it would be tight for two people. On the plus side, they have very nice bathroom amenities. On the negative side, there were problems with the tv screens on some of the treadmills in the fitness center. Service at the front desk could be more timely/urgent. Unfortunately for me, my company likes this hotel so I'll probably be there again but I'd go somewhere else if I could.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had a wonderful experience at thr W New York! We went to New York to See the Rockettes and do some shopping. Our show started before Check in. The W allowed us to leave our luggage and offered to call us when our room was ready. The gentleman that check our luggage was not only very friendly and professional but he was very attrative. All of their employess in the lobby during our brief stay were quite handsome. I enjoyed that! I got a call from the W before the show was over letting us know that our room was readyand that we could check in early. Upon arrival we found out that they had also upgraded our room, which was great because the room was on the smaller side but I expect that in NYC. The beds were amazing! Super comfortable and cozy. The street noise was a bit annoying but once again it's New York. The hotel is in a great location. We walked to Radio City Music hall, Madame Tussauds wax Museum and Times Square. We got a great deal on the price and it included 2 free drinks as well. We had a great time and will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The hotel is great, all is clean, everybody was very professional, I recommend this because it is very good the location, the heart of NYC if you want to shop, have fun, go to shows, it is all walking distance and subway is one block away, however my only complain was the the size of the room reminded me like that one from our last cruise ship.... very very very small.. so when you open the door do not have any expectations as you will be disappointing by its size... however all other aspects are great. Also I was with someone that had a birthday those days and they were so nice to send a birthday card, with cold Champagne, 2 glasses and Cheesecake... that was soooooo cute.

Room Tip: Just make sure you don't have expectations