“Good location and average NYC-sized room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #329 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rincon, Puerto Rico
“Good location and average NYC-sized room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I have have stayed on three occasions at this hotel, always booking it through one of those "mystery hotel sites". We are not into gold, platinum, or any other precious metal membership status, so cannot talk about those perks or their lack of. Location-wise it is excellent if you want to be in the Midtown-east area. Subway line E is located on Lexington and 59th St, and this line one can take you straight to the JFK Airtrain in Jamaica. A lively bar area, with a DJ on weekends, always packed in the evenings with a nice crowd. Front desk service is prompt and courteous. The rooms are just as small as what you will get in other "boutique-style" hotels in Midtown NYC. Expect rooms with the same "boutique look" as elsewhere: gray on the walls, black and white pictures, etc. Great bathroom amenities, from the hotel's spa brand. We did not try the restaurant, but the prices looked reasonable. We always have a good time here, and can certainly recommend it.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Recently stayed here for business. 1 night too many. Checking in early at around 7.30am was a nightmare. I encountered a man on the front desk who was surly and rude. Notwithstanding my assistant had rung in advance to ensure that my platinum spg number was in the system for a block business booking, he insisted that was not the case and therefore I was not entitled to an upgrade. When pushed, he then said the system said I was gold. Finally he conceded I was platinum. I mean, really, why would you treat your customers like this? I normally wouldn't be too fussed about an upgrade or not - but in this hotel, it makes a difference. It means you get a room where you can actually walk around the bed. The cozy and wonderful rooms are tiny. A joke. I ultimately got a "mega" room which was far from it. The bathroom is a size of a wardrobe; the morning shower was tepid at best; and most of the night I was woken up by the old and outdated aircon system which sounds like a 767 taking off. All my colleagues experienced the same problem. When there are so many other better hotels in the vicinity, I certainly won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, don't even think about staying in a room which is smaller than "mega&q...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for your review! Please accept our sincere apologies for the way you were treated at check-in. Although the Starwood Preferred Guest program details that our Platinum guests are eligible for an upgrade based upon availability, we also do our best at securing an upgrade and acknowledging our loyal guests. I apologize if we fell short of this, and I will be sharing this with the rest of the team here.

All the best,

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I am a loyal Gold SPG member, and have been staying at this particular W hotel on and off for the last 10 years. I have to say, after this particular stay, I don’t know if I will be coming back. I am not the type that typically complains about my experience, but in this case I just have to pass this on.

First item is really just a frustration. When I checked in and got to my room, first thing I did was set up my laptop on the desk. I could not find a visible power outlet anywhere near the desk. Nothing. In fact, the room had only one visible power source in the far corner underneath the television. The only solution was to physically move the desk away from the wall, so that I could use the one outlet available to get power to my laptop. In a sleek, modern hotel like a W, this is simply not adequate. Moving furniture to get access to power is something one could expect 10 years ago, but not today.
Immediately following this, I went to the workout facility. One of the most important features of any hotel I stay in is the fitness room, and I like the location and the openness of this one. I started on treadmill number 1, but the TV did not have power. I moved to treadmill number 2, and both the TV had no power and the TV controller was broken and hanging by a wire. I moved to treadmill number 3, which functioned properly for about 7 minutes, then lost all power – both treadmill and TV. I moved to treadmill number 4 beside it, and it was equally without power. Running out of options, I moved to an elliptical machine. Machine operated fine, and the TV came on, but offered one station of local television only, with a very fuzzy picture. Sure, I was able to find 1 piece of equipment that functioned, and maybe hoping for TV is just too much. But again, I find this less than adequate in this environment. For the record, I went back the following day, only to find the two treadmills still without power, and the other two still without TV. So it is apparently not just a one day issue. Both frustrating and disappointing.

We all know that it is the little things that keep you loyal and keep you satisfied. In this case, I had enough little things to lead me to say no more to the W in NYC. I genuinely hope that things improve. As it stands, it is well below standards for this level of hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your post, Donald! I cannot begin to describe how disappointed we were when reading your review, and we have shared this feedback with the rest of the management team. I know that we have been in contact you, and I hope we have solved this in the fairest way possible. Please do not hesitate to contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com when you plan on returning.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a very central location and is a very cool modern place. The bar, the living room and the restaurant are great. Reception staff were very helpful. If you were here for a holiday the location and modern rooms may be what you are looking for.

However I was travelling on business. Often stay close to the office, usually in the Westin or Hilton. Firstly it is very noisy. I was on 48 and was woken all night with sirens and street noise. Yes this is time square but none of the above hotels suffer the same issue. Secondly I'd asked to be away from the lifts and was told the only rooms left were opposite them. The air con didn't warm up and I froze on one night. The rooms are fancy but not functional. Hair dryer that would not dry a hamster, hanging wardrobe that was full of ironing board etc leaving no hanging space. Good toiletries. Towels that mean you had better not open the curtains, lighting that was so dim you could be mistaken for thinking you were in a night club. Finally $14.95 per device per 24 hours is simply outrageous! I will not be back!

• Stayed November 2012
Eastchester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We booked using SPG points for a two night getaway. The front desk upgraded us without us asking. Everyone was nice. Very convenient to midtown and shopping. Nice Italian restaurant next door called San Martino. Room size was fine. When in NY who stays in their room !!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your post, Mike! We are thrilled that our hotel was able to deliver you our Whatever/Whenever service. I will be sharing your feedback with the rest of our team. Please reach out to me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com when you are planning to return.

Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Staying in W Hotel at Lexington street for 4 nights, the hotel lobby is fancy, the room is decent in the expensive city. However, staffs are not that friendly in my opinion. Light and air conditioner control is actually broken in my room (surprised to see dusts on the light too). I wouldn't expect much if it is just a budget hotel, but W Hotel should do much more in terms of the high room rate.
In all, the hotel looks good on the outside, but definitely need to improve inside.

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel is located within walking distance of all the action. I stayed there for a convention which took place at the Javits Center and even that was a nice stroll..The rooms are not super spacious but hey this is New York! Staff are friendly especially in the Livingroom Bar. The performance at breakfast was not consistent and overpriced.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!