“What an amazing welcome back to NYC after 12 years away...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #329 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“What an amazing welcome back to NYC after 12 years away...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Eager to get back to NYC after so many years away I was more than a little excited to be visiting the New York offices of the company I work for. I received my travel documentation and my excitement was heightened by staying at the acclaimed W Hotel, 541 Lexington Avenue.

Upon arrival I was super impressed with Kevin the receptionist; I wanted to be wowed during this visit and he hit the spot. It was an educated, knowledgeable, anything we can do for you service so those critical first few moments of my first impression were marked positively.

My room, where I was to stay for three nights, was the right size, perfectly equipped and just right for me and my luggage. I needed an adaptor for my plug which they had in the room and the complimentary toiletries were perfect (as were the complimentary bottles of water each evening). Although basic for most hotels, it's important to state that the bed was great, as was the TV, bathroom, rain forest shower, storage space and general cleanliness.

I visited the concierge (Lauren) and decided to play the dumb tourist, a part I found naturally easy to adopt. I simply asked what I should do with my Sunday afternoon in New York. She suggested the Grey Line open top bus tour; I duly obliged and paid my money and went sight-seeing.

Later that evening I visited Lauren again and asked where to eat - she recommended three different restaurants, two of which I visited on Sunday evening and on Monday evening. Those restaurants were exceptional and couldn't have been better for food, ambiance, service and price. Lauren really helped to make a difference to my visit.

I visited the hotel bar on two evenings and enjoyed a drink in a relaxing environment in the lobby. I also ate breakfast at the hotel each morning enjoying healthy drinks, omelettes, juice, coffee and pastries.

The location of the hotel was ideal for me. I needed to walk to Madison each morning and I wanted to be in amongst the hustle and bustle. It couldn't have been better. It wasn't too noisy in the room but was right in the heart of the action downstairs.

I also need to provide a special mention for W Insider Nicola Robinson who helped arrange a special surprise for a colleague who arrived later in the trip and who also ensured I was looking forward to my visit before the trip and checking in with me when I returned.

I really have had an amazing experience with this W Hotel and I cannot wait to return in the not too distant future.

Thank you W Hotel Lexington!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your post! We are thrilled that we were able to provide you with a true Whatever/Whenever experience! I will be sharing your gracious words and feedback with Lauren and the rest of the W New York team. Please feel free to shoot me an e-mail at paul.gambardella@whotels.com if you are planning on returning.

Paul Gambardella
Guest Services Talent Coach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The rooms in this hotel are tiny. Plus, you cannot have your own drinks at the mini bar, they would charge you for removing existing stuff. In addition, I did not get SPG points because I booked through Expedia (contrary to what the staff stated).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your post! We are truly disappointed with the comments you wrote, and apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your recent W experience. As a whole, Starwood does not credit points to reservations booked through a third party. However, most Starwood hotels, like ours, do our best to acknowledge your loyalty and provide other benefits. I apologize if this was not how you were treated and that you were misinformed. We appreciate your feedback.
Sammamish, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is the new trend in hotels, with a very modern design. This is the kind of pace that you want either because you need the location convenience or your are trending and want to be where the action is.

This W property is no exception. With a beautiful, modern and contemporary design, the place is not intimate, but rather fashion, electric and full of energy. Is not an hotel I will choose for quietly reading a book in the reception, but rather having a martini with the beat of electronic music in the background, surrounded by beautiful people, dresses-up like if they were competing for a top model front-page.

NEW YORK LONG ISLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We visited this hotel to celebrate a birthday. The hotel is overlooking the WTC you can see the reflecting pool, the new building and everything going on right from your room. The hotel itself is very modern and the attention to detail is wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit NYC, especially if you want to be away from the midtown hustle and bustle which is only a short subway ride away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
KensColumn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The W Hotel on the East Side has a great location but little else . The rooms and service are terrible. Rooms are smaller than tiny and many things do not work A/C etc. The most troubling problem is that they could care less. So if you need a closet to stay at in Midtown this is your place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your post! We deeply apologize for your dissatification during your recent W experience. We take feedback like yours very seriously, and I will be sharing it with the rest of our management team. Although our rooms are on the smaller side, we do offer many room types and sizes to cater to all tastes. Please feel free to contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com if you plan on returning.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Location, location. That's what I'm looking for in a NY hotel. And this place has a perfect location, close to shopping, theatre and all the fun stuff. I don't expect a big room when I travel to New York, but... the so-called cozy room was tiny, especially for two people. The bathroom was really tiny. But the room was nicely appointed and the bed was comfortable, and thankfully when I'm in NY, I spend little time in the room. Though the guests I saw in the lobby and bar were all ages, the hotel seems to cater to a young crowd. The music in the late evening is a bit loud and jarring. Service was fine-- the bellmen, valet and front desk staff were all very nice. The Bliss Spa is definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: Keep in mind, that the "cozy" rooms are really quite tiny.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
miami,fla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

we stayed for a wedding weekend. The location was great for walking around. Plus they have a promo with Accura to give complimentary car service in the city. You must reserve as soon as you get there. Charles was great!!!
We did have an upgraded room so it was "larger" than the smaller rooms. You must expect to have very small rooms..closet ..bathroom..not much space to put away toiletries. The bed was comfortable..air conditioning was great.I like it cold. But they switch to heat Oct.15th. I had a big problem with the Parker Meridian because of the heat in the room and it could not be adjusted. No full length mirrors..plus the desk area is where I put my make up on and there is not a mirror behind it..plus very little lighting. Because of location..I might consider staying again..amd use my Starwood points.

Room Tip: forget the smallest rooms!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!