“"Back at my favorite hotel"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W New York

Save Saved
You added W New York to your Saves list
W New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   541 Lexington Avenue, Between 49th St and 50th St, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #321 of 449 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Florida
“"Back at my favorite hotel"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel has it all. The best staff that a great management team can put together. Specifically Mr. Derron who greeted me as soon as I stepped out of my limo. Derron always makes me feel welcomed and treats all his guests with the utmost class.

The reason I come back again and again is because of the location, ambiance, staff professionalism and quality. The concierge does a great job to get me on the list for the best restaurants and nightclubs.

Looking forward to the next visit!

Room Tip: "Wonderful Room" for a great value, and a Suite for the best experience.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

2,700 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was the 4th W hotel I have stayed in over the last 4 weeks and by far was not up to standard. Checked in and the room which was an upgraded room was small, musty and extremely hot (air would not cool down). Checked out within an hour and went to the Westin on 42nd street.... Much better choice. The manger for this W has moved and is now at the Westin. If you want a W in NYC stay in Times Square.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your post. We are truly sorry about your most recent W experience. We take feedback like this very seriously, and I will be sharing it with the rest of our management team. Please contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com if you ever plan on returning so that we can make your stay extra special.

Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This review is late but necessary. I rely heavily on tripadvisor for my travel needs and have neglected my review duties during the last few years. This hotel and staff deserves my comments! I stayed here 4-5 days a week beginning on July 30th through the first or second week in September. I'm on a work project that has me in New York through January. Let me level set my experience. July 17th I broke my jaw. You can imagine how difficult it is to navigate a new work assignment and the bustling full speed ahead life of New York City with a mouth that's wired shut. However, I showed up at the W New York with a pen and pad in hand ready to communicate my "check-in" and was met with sincere concern, kindness, and support from the superb staff.

So let me start with the review of the staff. The staff from front desk to housekeeping is incredible. Carmen at the front desk who checked me in either on Sunday or Monday night for most of my stays at the W New York is the consummate professional. I made a request for a fridge during the time that my mouth was wired shut due to a limited diet which consisted of all liquids and each week she saw me she remembered exactly who I was, the difficulties I was having, and ensured I had a refrigerator in my room without me even asking. In addition to the staff being an incredible help during my time of injury, I was also trying to make an offer on a house from long distance while in New York. This required constant communication with my wife in another state. Another member of the front desk and I'm sorry I didn't catch her name helped me fax a signed 10 page offer letter back to my wife and real estate agent. She requested help from the house staff who came picked up my documents two different times, faxed them, two different times, and then slipped the fax confirmation under my door. This crew goes above and beyond and all you have to do is ask for help. The W "whatever whenever" really does hold true at this property.

Which leads me to the review of the property. As with most W's there's a heightened level of energy when you walk into the lobby. The rooms here are NOT fancy and are Manhattan small. However, the beds are superbly comfortable and housekeeping does a great job in providing a spic and span cleaning. The rooms don't look brand new but hold up well and are laid out nicely to provide no waste of the limited space. I do know that while I was there the rooms on the 4th floor were being completely redone. So if you get one of those, you know they aren't more than 2 months old. I'm not clear if this was going to be a systematic floor-by-floor renovation. I did once get checked in to a room that had a funny smell. I immediately went back down to the front desk, they gave me another room, and took the room that I was checked into offline until housekeeping could investigate. The gym isn’t gigantic but more than adequate. Get there early, I guess the demographic that likes to stay at the W also likes to workout. I found myself hitting the streets on a few of the mornings that I meant to run on the treadmill because they were all taken. When my wife came to visit she took advantage of the Bliss Spa and loved it! I wasn’t there for the spa experience so I can’t provide many details…sorry!

The area is superb for business and tourist travel. I did stay one week at the W times square and the rooms there were great but the area incredibly congested. I'd been putting in long hours and I just don't want to wade through a mass of humanity when I'm getting back to my room at 9pm. Still, the W New York, being on Lexington, is maybe a 15 - 20 minute walk from all of the action in time square. The W New York is just steps from an incredible row of restaurants and bustling nightlife on 2nd Ave. This is a great area to have for a business traveler that wants a choice of non-tourist trap eateries. It also allows the tourist to experience the Manhattan neighborhood feeling. During one of my wife’s visits we hit a little diner called the morning star cafe for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday and dined at the Smith one night for dinner. Have the MAC and Cheese at the SMITH!

Finally, as a runner I really did appreciate being just over a mile from Central Park. I'd run there in the morning, do the six mile park loop, and run back. That park is a beautiful piece of green in the middle of the urban jungle.
Would I stay here again? Absolutely! The negatives for me are that it’s a hefty commute for me from my office in Brooklyn. Also, due to the fall season, the rates have gone over my company allowance but if all were the same I'd book in a heartbeat. The take away for this one is the central Manhattan location and the exceptional service. They are always willing and ABLE to help!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind and gracious words from your recent experience at W New York. I have shared your message with Carmen and the entire WHATEVER WHENEVER team as a great reminder of what we do best! We hope to welcome you back soon, and please contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com when you are planning to return.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have stayed at W hotels around the world and while I feel the brand is over rated, especially domestically in the US, this hotel is just plain terrible. I come in at 9am on Sunday morning because I have a meeting at 10am. I dont expect to get a room of course so I am not surprised when I get to the front desk and the guy at reception informs me that my room is not ready. He asks for my phone number and lets me know that he will call when it is ready and directs me to the bell man to leave my bag. The bell man just looks at me, motions for my bag, takes it away and hands me a receipt, totally unenthusiastic he is there. I go to my meeting, then get lunch, then go to the MoMa the MoMa closes at 5:30pm and still no call. That is right over 8 hours and no call. So I go to the front desk and the girl working there just looks up at me, obviously not happy she is there and asks what I need. I tell her that I came in the morning and that I was supposed to get a call when my room was ready and havent gotten one. She doesnt say a word, does some typing then hands me my keys. No appology, barely even a hello and not even direction to where the elevators are which arent easy to locate. Total failure of customer service.

I go get my bag, same deal, absolutely no friendliness at all then head up to my room. I open my door and immediately hear the AC at the far end of the room. It hums very loudly with a consistent "CLACK" noise. I also notice that the walls as I enter the room are all banged up with scuff marks. The room is small but that is typical NYC. There are two windows one of which faces directly across the U shaped building out to another room on the other side so that when both window shades are up you will see each other in bed. The entire state of the room is distressed. Everything is beat up, everything is patched up with different shades of white paint and all the furniture is dented, scratched and beat to hell. I walk in the bathroom and immediately notice mold on the ceiling. There is no fan in the bathroom so that is an inevitability. I see the toilet and it looks like it is from a public restroom, you know the type that has no tank, just a big metal gizmo and a large metal handle. Well I sit down and as I lean back to sit upright I immediately am stopped by the sink which hangs over the toilet partially so you have to lean forward when on the toilet. I get that NYC will have small rooms but the sink is massive. They easily could have used a sink 2/3rds of the size and it would be been plenty big. To top it off the sink has almost no edges to rest any of your toiletries so that massive size is pointless. Beyond that the sink's tub is not a simple square, instead it juts out where the faucet comes out and the faucet is tiny so that when you wash your hands you have to rub them against the side of the sink tub to get water on your hands. There is further patching in the bathroom a metal grill has its small holes filled in various places with white caulk from past repairs. It looks as if whoever did some work in the bathroom got some on their hands and just wiped it off on the grill.

Be sure to look at the pictures I posted to see just what a sorry state this place was in. In every way this place failed to provide even a decent level of hospitality. I am a starwood gold member and I stay at starwood properties all over the world and this was the worst by far. I previously stayed at A Loft in Brooklyn which was less expensive and much better. I was greeted very warmly and even though I came in at 7:30am on a Saturday morning I was given a room right away that was light years better then this dump. The location of this W is nice, better than A Loft but personally I will tell my company to book me either at A Loft or somewhere, anywhere other then this terrible place.

Do yourself a favor and AVOID this place.

Room Tip: dont get room 316
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the W New York and thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent W New York experience. We cannot even begin to explain how disappointed we were to read your review detailing the dissatisfaction you experienced. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and allowing us the opportunity to remedy your concerns immediately.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have always loved W hotel's but this one is suffering from the one thing i always disdain about NYC hotels: dark, musty and stuff. To which they try to cover with room refresher/perfume that is utterly overpowering. Staff was very friendly, room tiny but clean. But oh that overpowering carpet/room deodorizer. It's so much. Headache comes on immediately. But over all a decent place to stay in a good location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband I and I spent last week-end at the W hotel. We are what made the trip awesome, not the W hotel. My impression of the hotel is that they have tried to create this "phony" expensive world for the "cool" kids, and if your not one of the cool kids forget about getting service, let alone a good morning from staff, except for the man cleaning the rooms. The morning we left there were two men, I think they were suppose to be doormen, that openly spent the 45 minutes that we waited for our shuttle leering and gesturing at women walking by. Neither one of them attempted to make any contact, nor offer help to my husband nor myself. They reminded me of something out of American gigolo. I found them both disrespectful and objectifying towards women. They made my skin crawl!
The room was starting to look shabby. If you like to feel like your in a cave you'd like the room. We called the front desk for two items, never received them, and the clerk was rude. I think I was bothering her. The bed was awful. My husband had a sore back the three days we were in NYC. The music that is played all day creates this sleazy atmosphere. The hallways are very dark, and I didn't feel comfortable walking by myself. I felt bad for my husband because he went through a lot of trouble and money to book the trip. The hotel again did not add to our experience. Shame on the W for trying to create false impressions. Install some lights, get rid of the techno music, and train your staff to understand that they should be trying to please the customer, not the other way around. Differently not family, nor couple friendly. Maybe a good place to come if your a "swinging single, and want to score some action!!!"

Room Tip: Look somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your post, Kate! We apologize for the issues encountered during your most recent W experience, an experience that is not what we aim to provide at the W. I have shared your comments with our management team. W is an evolving and stylish brand offering many room types and sizes, and I am sorry that you did not enjoy this or our Signature W bed. If you ever plan on returning, please do not hesitate to contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com.

Bensalem
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at the W Hotel on a weekend getaway and were very impressed with the staff at the front door and at the check-in desk. They were all very friendly, helpful and attentive to our needs. Based upon this, we were certain that the rest of our experience was going to be just as positive.

We booked a Fantastic Suite because we were concerned about a small room. When we entered, we were very surprised because the so-called suite was reminiscent of a college dorm room. We expected much more for the cost! The room was very small and sterile looking, the decor was lame, the carpets were old and the furniture had more to be desired.

The suite was on the 6th floor and the windows were overlooking Lexington Avenue...that being said, it was noisy at all times of the day and night. The hallways were very dark and narrow, once again, contributing to a very cold feel.

This was our first experience with the W Hotels and will certainly be our last experience. The website is very misleading.....

We travel a great deal and have stayed at many hotels. Sad to say, but the W Hotel is definitely on the bottom of our list. If you're looking for something plush, warm and inviting, the W Hotel on Lexington Avenue is not it. Look elsewhere!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from a recent stay with our Starwood community. At W New York, we aim to provide our guests with the highest level of service and we are truly sorry that we fell short of that goal throughout your stay. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It is through feedback such as yours that we can continue to improve the W experience for all of our guests. Although we have many room types and sizes, we really do provide Whatever/Whenever service. Please feel free to contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com.

Guest Services Talent Coach

Been to W New York? Share your experiences!