“Staff and location great. Hotel being refurbished.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Time

You added The Time to your Saves list
The Time
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   224 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Snack and Save
Ranked #338 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Dunmow, null, United Kingdom
“Staff and location great. Hotel being refurbished.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This Hotel is in a great location in New York, just a few minutes walk from Times Square, and an easy walk to Central Park, Empire State and many other attractions.
The staff are very helpful at all times and the room while not large is certainly "fit for purpose" and clean.
The hotel was under refurbishment while we were staying which did mean much dust and sharing the lifts with assorted workmen, which was slightly annoying at times but work has to be done and I am sure it will be worth it when it is finished.
A nice stay at a nice Hotel, and when the work is finished I am sure it will be a great stay at a great Hotel.

Room Tip: lower floors, away from the workmen
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Hebrew first
  • Vietnamese first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Keeping in mind this is a “boutique” hotel, which in NYC means the smallest room in the world. Sorry I don’t have pictures this time, but the other traveler pics are accurate.

The Good

The staff was amazing. To my shame I don’t remember their names, but honestly every single one of them at any time of the day was great. From the pre-phone calls to the hotel, to check-in/check-out, to room service. Clearly service is a point of pride with them. Better yet, they do it genuinely with a smile, friendliness, and care.

The location can’t be beat. It’s a few easy walking blocks to everything you want in mid-town.

The room service menu is huge, which I loved. It was basically the full menu from their onsite restaurant. While the price was to be expected for RS (high), the food was great, and worth it. Again, very friendly service.

The bed/bedding was super comfortable, and the lighting in the room was decent. If you have a King room, you better be rooming with someone you really like. The bed takes the entire room. We didn’t feel cramped, because we know what to expect in NYC, but if you aren’t familiar with space in the city, you’ll be in for a slight shock.
The tv was flat screen, the remote had issues, but once you figured out the trick it wasn’t a big deal. They have a minibar with some space for small private items.

The lobby is pretty, and the hallways clean. We didn’t hear any street noise in our room which is impressive in the city.

Note-

Check on the internet in the hotel. The site/brochure in the room say there is a daily fee, but it’s actually free. I’m not sure if that’s because of the light construction going on in the hotel or a new policy and the brochure/web hasn’t been updated.

The Bad

If I were staying in town longer than a couple of days, I’d need a different hotel for some basic reasons. The shower is large, and clean but looking very dated. The white tiles/grout were discolored which doesn’t look/feel nice. Again, clean, but old. The very top corner of the shower (high ceiling) had mold. It was about the size of your palm, and honestly not crazy like some reviews wrote (at least in our room) but it’s a huge turn-off when you’re thinking ‘clean.’ It just gives a really bad impression of everything else. They were doing construction at the hotel, so I’m hoping they’re fixing/upgrading all the rooms.

Fyi- we saw the construction workers in the hallway, but didn’t hear anything. The elevators were very fast too.

The shelving in the shower is non-existent, which is an issue to me as a woman. One tiny metal holder to put your razor and maybe a bar of soap/tiny bottle. I don’t like putting stuff on the shower floor. (shampoo, etc.) The sink handle was broken. The whole thing lifted out of the sink. To be fair, we didn’t report it because we were only there for a few days. The bathroom has plenty of space due to a wall mount with tiny cubbies. The towels were really nice, and they provide free robes in the room.

The minibar could have been cleaner to make it more appealing. The doorbell didn’t work for our room. The closet isn’t huge, but we were still able to arrange two HUGE suitcases out of our way utilizing desk space and a small table. The view was a nasty alley, but that can’t really be helped I suppose. We just kept the curtains closed.

If they renovate the rooms, I’d definitely stay here again. If they don’t, it’s a no go. Everything was great with staff, location, price, but the bathroom issues were a big turn-off.

Room Tip: They appear to be upgrading, definitely get that room or don't stay.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just back from staying here, great hotel, amazingly helpful staff ( jack & josh you guys bossed it ) room was comfy, especially the king size bed & shower room was a good size, location was excellent! Yeah it's under renovation but if it wasn't for meeting a workman in the lift would never have noticed, Can't big up this hotel enough made our stay in the city a perfect 10, can't wait till we return!!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Unfortunately the hotel is under renovation and consequently its quality is very undermined. I have no negative comments on the hotel staff with whom I interacted but my room was dirty, extremely noisy (prepare for construction noises during the night) and the lack of facilities in the room is very surprising (no closet but a hole on the wall covered by a curtain, a bathroom from the 70's with an unpleasant smell coming from the pipes amongst other surprises). In the general areas the lack of cleanness is also very visible and the foot prints left by the workers were all over the place including in the elevators where an employed tried to maintained presentable without major success.
The hotel location in Manhattan is very central but I would not recommend any stay until the construction is completed. Be aware of the hotel photos as they do not depict reality.

Room Tip: Avoid a room with the air system at the window. In this case the window is made of plastic and not g...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel wasn't the one I payed to stay at! But was moved to this one a few days before travelling. There was no issues at all with the transition of my details.
I read a lot of reviews about the hotel. And many of them say the same thing.
The number 1 thing is he location. I have been to NY a few times and this hotel has the best location for the prices being offered. I see people saying the wifi is not free in the rooms. However I asked at reception on arrival, handed over my email address and I didn't pay a thing when we handed to the key back.
The staff had every answer I was looking for when I asked them questions, even stupid ones. The rooms are what you pay for, not to big. But big enough for two people to relax when your feet hurt.
And the cab I ordered through the door staff, was worth every penny getting us back to the airport. So I would highly recommend asking them to help you get back.
If this is your first time to NY I would definitely have around $100 ready for the trip back. I wouldn't be anymore than that. And that does include tip.
I will be returning to NY, and when I do I will be looking at this hotel again to stay at.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Was good, clean solid. Minor renovations to a room nearby by other than that was a good stay. Location was right in Times Square, a little too much in the way of foot traffic because needed to fight through crowds nearly every time we left the hotel

Stayed April 2015
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Good price for a night in Midtown, so I wasn't expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised by a very snazzy lobby and well-appointed (albeit tiny) room.

Just be prepared to get nickel and dimed to death. Couple of examples:

- $10 for in-room wireless
- No coffee in the room or the lobby, had to pay $3 for a little to-go cup in the restaurant downstairs
- They hang "free" postcards in your room for you to fill out, but if you try to send them from the front desk, it costs $1.10 a piece for "postage".

Again - nice place, and the bed was very comfy. Just don't expect any of the little niceties you'd usually get from a place you pay to make you comfortable.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Leiya C, Manager at The Time, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Lindsey,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We are very proud of our unique bi-level lobby, and are glad to hear it caught your attention!

As a boutique hotel, the experience we provide is very different from that of a big chain hotel. Part of what makes us different is the level of attention we devote to our guests, as well as the services we provide in order to make the most care-free stay possible. As you mentioned, all food and beverage at the hotel is provided by our restaurant Serafina. I’m sorry you found this expensive when ordering coffee. Before your next visit, simply give us a call and we can arrange to have a coffee maker, as well as any other amenity, in your room.

Wi-fi is complementary in our lobby, and by simply enrolling in our rewards program, we can extend that service to our guest’s rooms at no extra cost too! New York City can be an expensive place, and we are here to help make planning a trip as efficient and cost-effective as possible.

Warmest Regards,

Leiya Cohen
Director of Front Office
lcohen@thetimeny.com

Been to The Time? Share your experiences!