“To avoid at least until construction is finished” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Time

You added The Time to your Saves list
The Time
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   224 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Snack and Save
Ranked #339 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Geneva, Switzerland
“To avoid at least until construction is finished”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Unfortunately the hotel is under renovation and consequently its quality is very undermined. I have no negative comments on the hotel staff with whom I interacted but my room was dirty, extremely noisy (prepare for construction noises during the night) and the lack of facilities in the room is very surprising (no closet but a hole on the wall covered by a curtain, a bathroom from the 70's with an unpleasant smell coming from the pipes amongst other surprises). In the general areas the lack of cleanness is also very visible and the foot prints left by the workers were all over the place including in the elevators where an employed tried to maintained presentable without major success.
The hotel location in Manhattan is very central but I would not recommend any stay until the construction is completed. Be aware of the hotel photos as they do not depict reality.

Room Tip: Avoid a room with the air system at the window. In this case the window is made of plastic and not g...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Hebrew first
  • Vietnamese first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel wasn't the one I payed to stay at! But was moved to this one a few days before travelling. There was no issues at all with the transition of my details.
I read a lot of reviews about the hotel. And many of them say the same thing.
The number 1 thing is he location. I have been to NY a few times and this hotel has the best location for the prices being offered. I see people saying the wifi is not free in the rooms. However I asked at reception on arrival, handed over my email address and I didn't pay a thing when we handed to the key back.
The staff had every answer I was looking for when I asked them questions, even stupid ones. The rooms are what you pay for, not to big. But big enough for two people to relax when your feet hurt.
And the cab I ordered through the door staff, was worth every penny getting us back to the airport. So I would highly recommend asking them to help you get back.
If this is your first time to NY I would definitely have around $100 ready for the trip back. I wouldn't be anymore than that. And that does include tip.
I will be returning to NY, and when I do I will be looking at this hotel again to stay at.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Was good, clean solid. Minor renovations to a room nearby by other than that was a good stay. Location was right in Times Square, a little too much in the way of foot traffic because needed to fight through crowds nearly every time we left the hotel

Stayed April 2015
Biel, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I travel in average 100 days a year and I have never been so disappointed in a hotel.
When I first arrived at the front desk after a 12 hours journey I was standing there and the woman supposed to check me in tell me to wait because she was not done with the 3 young girls that had to pay cash ( the young girls were 4 meters away from the desk and discussing who should pay what and why and....).
She finally said to me to come and check in...She gives me the keys and I take the elevator to the room. The hotel is under massive renovation. One of the elevator was absolutely disgusting...first question..why do you allow clients to take that elevator ? I arrive on floor 8 and as soon as I get out of the elevator i can breath the dust all over. I finally got in the room. I am standing there and wondering...where am i going to open my suitcase because I didn't have enough room around the bed. Went down to the front desk ( waited 5 minutes for the elevator ) and asked " are you sure that this is a Deluxe King Room" ? To be honest at that moment i was already very grumpy: the other girl at the front desk saw it and came to me saying " let's try to find another room for you ". She has been nice to me..showed me a couple of rooms and i choosed a bigger room. Went down to the front desk with her and she gave me the keys for my " new " room on the 7th floor. Went back to the 8th floor to pick up my luggages and surprise the key didnt work. Went down again to the front desk ( always waited at least 5 minutes for the elevator ). The first girl at the front desk gives me a new key...I go back to the 8th floor ( again waiting and waiting and waiting for the elevator ) and surprise...the key doesn't open the door....so back to the front desk ( don't forget the 5 minutes at the elevator ). i finally get into the room with my new key ..take my luggages , go to the 7th floor and believe it or not the keys didn't work again....so this time i am going back to the front desk with all my luggages, get my new keys and finally get into the room.... after having unpacked i wanted to put things in the safe...safe is not working...I call the front desk ( it is 5.05 PM ). they say that they will send somebody...5.25 nobody came so far...I call back the front desk and after 5 m a young guy shows up. The poor guy asks me if apart from that everything is ok. I said " well, ask me another question ".... after having tried for 10m minutes to solve the problem he finally calls a techinician...the techinician comes , does what he ad to do, and the safe is finally working. Long story short , it is 5.45 PM and i am finally ready to go out ( consider that I checked in around 3.30 ).
I have attached to this a few pictures of the room... it is too bad that you cannot get the idea of the bad smell in the bathroom...
Long story short..this hotel is old, dirty ( i left on purpose pieces of paper under the bed and some hair in the shower ..and the things under the bed are still there after 3 days ) and the cherry on the cake is that i had a " special " deal at " only " 225 USD + 14.75% taxes..that brings the room to 260 USD/night. I had the assistant manager calling me to apologize.. I have appreciated her concern but it didn't solve my problem...Stay away from this place till renovations are done...It is in fairness the worst experience i had in a hotel in my all life

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Good price for a night in Midtown, so I wasn't expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised by a very snazzy lobby and well-appointed (albeit tiny) room.

Just be prepared to get nickel and dimed to death. Couple of examples:

- $10 for in-room wireless
- No coffee in the room or the lobby, had to pay $3 for a little to-go cup in the restaurant downstairs
- They hang "free" postcards in your room for you to fill out, but if you try to send them from the front desk, it costs $1.10 a piece for "postage".

Again - nice place, and the bed was very comfy. Just don't expect any of the little niceties you'd usually get from a place you pay to make you comfortable.

Brisbane Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you are looking for the perfect location when visiting Manhatten Island, New York, this is the hotel for you. Central to Manhatten, you are two blocks from Time Square. Amazing access to attractions like hop on, hop off bus stop Number One and easy walking distance to the Rockafellar Centre and the Empire State Building which are also close by.

You will find rooms at the hotel quite small but I guess you are not expecting to spend too much time there other than to sleep for a couple of hours. There are no facilities on offer to allow you to make a coffee or store any beverage in the fridge. Your room fridge will be fully stocked with mini bar goodies which will cost you. Bathroom and toilets are very small and certainly rate no better than three (3) star. Unfortunately, we experienced a toilet cistern that persisted in continuing to run after flushing. Annoying but no a major hitch. Still rate this hotel given ease of access to the centre of the Big Apple. Peter, Brisbane Australia.

Room Tip: Can't really add too much advice regarding floor preferences. We stayed on floor 7 and it was ea...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Stuarts Draft VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed at The Time on a quick trip to NYC. Picked for price and location. Good price, right off time square, close to the subway, and right next to our theater. Our room was small, but very comfortable. Had a delicious desert in the restaurant after our show. Overall a perfect fit for our needs.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Been to The Time? Share your experiences!