“A very pleasent and comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Time

You added The Time to your Saves list
The Time
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   224 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Snack and Save
Ranked #334 of 461 Hotels in New York City
“A very pleasent and comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights recently. Room was very comfortable but we did miss having coffee and tea facilities in the room. This was our first visit to NYC so we don't know if "no coffee facilities" is standard or not.
Jack at reception was a complete delight whilst we checked in and even phoned the room a bit later to check we were happy before he went off shift.
All the staff were very pleasant and approachable and we felt very comfortable asking them for dining and drink recommendations.
This hotel is in a superb location very close to Times Square and only a few blocks away from Rockefeller Plaza.
The restaurant on the ground floor was very pleasant too.
The only criticism would be the lifts, on the last 2 days there were workman on some of the higher floors and the lifts were very slow as a result of this.
We would definitely book again.

Room Tip: It's in the city that never sleeps so don't expect a quiet night!!!!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Hebrew first
  • Vietnamese first
The Curragh, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

the hotel is in a great location for time square and the subway is nearby,we had a room at the back of the hotel so noise was not much of a problem but as it is New York sirens could be heard most of the time. The staff where very friendly and helpful,of all the staff the doormen had to be the best ever, pointing out a nearby store that had a nice coffee area with friendly staff and doing the haggling for us for the taxi back to JFK had to be the cheapest fare I ever paid from New York to JFK.
The down side was that the carpets through out the hotel are a bit worn and need replacement.
WiFi is free in the public areas and quite good, but has a charge in the rooms,

Room Tip: email the hotel before travel and look for a room on the higher floors
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Oswego, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The Time is a pleasant little hotel in the heart of Manhattan. Across the street from Chicago, it is a few steps from everything related to Times Square or anywhere the subway can take you. The entire staff was among the most pleasant I have ever encountered in NYC and all are very willing to help whenever needed. While the rooms are on the small side and the hotel could use some updating, elevators are fast and the beds are comfortable. Prepare for no drawers for clothing but closet space, iron, and robes offset this. Overall, do not hesitate to give this beauty a try, if for no other reason the staff/management are outstanding.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Location perfect the chinese lady who cleaned our room room was lovely but the reception staff were so rude I will not be returning because of them and I wont be recommending this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: Top floor only because the lower level is just a view of a blank wall
Llanelli, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is in a great location, not far from Times Square and right opposite the theatres. The staff are friendly, the rooms are great, with a good bathroom. The hanging space is a little quirky and we had no drawers in our room, so we improvised. The upstairs bar was not always open. We would stay again if we were in NYC.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed in New york 3rd March - 11th March and decided to book this hotel based on price and loaction, the hotel is located right in the center of New York which was fab, we were very kindly upgraded for free as it was a birthday/anniversary celebration.

The maid was lovely and room was spotless everyday, large comfy bed.

We were on the 9th floor facing Chicago so road noise was a problem, had to invest in earplugs !!

Shower was lovely and hot which was nice, did not eat in the restaurant downstairs but it looked lovely...

Upon checkout after a fab week sightseeing, the lady on reception tried to charge us for the mini bar which we had not used, and also as we had paid for our trip back in September 14 she proceeded to tell us we had not paid.

Whilst looking for our confirmation to prove we had paid after around 5 mins she said everything was ok and we could leave,

As they had already swiped our credit card upon arrival, we didnt think to check the statement until a few days after we returned home only to find the hotel had charged us again for our stay !!!

I am very upset regarding this and although we have yet to resolve this issue, it puts a certain amount of distrust in the hotel.

I would stay here again as the hotel was lovely depending on how long it takes us to receive a refund and get the matter resolved.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room away from the front of the building, its just far too noisy.
Leiya C, Manager at The Time, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Charlotte H,

Thank you very much for selecting The Time Hotel for such a special occasion!

I would like to express my sincerest apologies that your positive experience with us was marred at the end by the billing discrepancy you faced. I am glad that we were able to speak in person, and truly hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in New York.

If there is any way that I can be of future assistance, please do reach out to me directly.

Warmest Regards,

Leiya Cohen
Director of Front Office
lcohen@thetimeny.com
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had the misfortune of having stayed at the Time Hotel in NYC for 4 days, after booking through HotelTonight. For context, I travel 45+ weeks a year, around 30 of those in NYC. Each time, I stay in different hotels.

The Time Hotel is awful. Unquestionably the worst I have stayed in in NYC. Some notes from my experience.

Check In: I was early for check in on Tuesday, arriving at 12:30 (Check-in is 3pm). The front desk attendant said a room was not ready, so I did some work in the lobby for about an hour and a half.
2pm
Me: “By chance is a room available?"
Attendant: “Probably not.” Does nothing.
Me: “Can you just check?"
Attendant looks at computer, “Oh, we have a room."

I can say such a simple interaction foreshadowed the rest of my experience at the hotel.

Staff: Perhaps the laziest, most useless staff I have encountered in New York. I called the operations department EVERYDAY TO FIX MY TV. I went to the front desk, asked the cleaning staff - NO ONE HELPED. Day 4, I am still in a room with a broken television.
I called the front desk to ask how to get a travel ticket printed. The lady was very short with me and said, “can I call you back.” No problem. An hour later, no call back.
My toilet made an incessant, weird noise hours after flushing. I called to ask that it be fixed. Have a guess as to what happened? Still makes a weird noise…even while you’re trying to sleep.
Elevators were a disaster. Perhaps the worst I have ever seen in a hotel. Apparently they are doing construction in the hotel, and there are no freight elevators. There are only two elevators that everyone in a 15 floor hotel uses. One of the two elevators was dedicated to construction workers, and the hotel staff shared the other one with the guests. Some anecdotes:
On Friday, I had to go in and out of the hotel frequently for business. I started clocking my elevator times to get from floor 10 to the ground floor. 8 minutes, 14 seconds, 6 minutes, 22 seconds were some times at the middle of the day.
The hotel cleaning staff would stop on literally every floor on the single working elevator at noon - the checkout time where guests were leaving - only adding to elevator difficulties.
Construction workers at some point decided to use both elevators, so they were smelly and dusty with whatever drywall and other materials the were working on.
The Rooms. Oh yes, that. The rooms feel as if they are 20 years old, and no one has put a fresh coat on paint on them since then. The carpet, the walls, the bathroom, the desks, the “closet” (if you can call it that - it doesn’t actually have space to hang anything). It’s just grimy. The bathroom needs a deep bleaching. I hopped in the shower one morning only to look down and see a bug crawling in the corner.

I have stayed in some good NYC hotels, and some ok ones. This one was downright shtty. I recommend everyone stay away from this one.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Leiya C, Manager at The Time, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear JonasB303rd,

I would like to thank you for staying with us at The Time Hotel, as well as for providing your candid feedback.

I am truly disheartened to hear that we failed to exceed your expectations in so many regards, and I would like to extend my most heartfelt apologies for the poor experience that you endured. Not only were you faced with multiple challenges during your stay, but when given the opportunity to rectify these challenges, our staff consistently failed to do so. This is inexcusable. Please be assured that we are currently addressing the internal challenges you faced, and will continue to monitor this to ensure that our guests experiences are improved dramatically.

As you had noticed during your stay, the hotel has begun a major property renovation -- spearheaded by David Rockwell. We will be officially re-launching The Time in September 2015. It will be a dramatically different product both in terms of style, as well as level of luxury. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back once this is complete and perhaps alter the way that you view The Time.

I sincerely appreciate that you have also reached out to me directly, and I hope to continue our conversation.

Warmest Regards,

Leiya Cohen
Director of Front Office
lcohen@thetimeny.com

Been to The Time? Share your experiences!