“One of the worst hotel experiences Ive had.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Time

You added The Time to your Saves list
The Time
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   224 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Wine&Wifi
Ranked #333 of 458 Hotels in New York City
“One of the worst hotel experiences Ive had.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Me and a couple of friends reserved a night here to celebrate a friends birthday in the city. My sister and I both work for travel agencies and agree that this is not a property we would recommend to clients. For $150 per night we ended up in an extremely small room with one queen bed. We specifically asked for 2 doubles as there were 3 of us staying in the room. We were told that all their double rooms were booked. Although disappointed, we continued our stay as we needed to get ready for the night. We went back to our room and were not happy with how outdated it was. The walls were dirty and the furniture looked very old. There was one light fixture that was not working properly and would pop everytime we turned the switch or disconnected from the outlet. Very dangerous. We finally went back down to the lobby to complain and demand another room. After a few minutes a double room was suddenly available at no extra cost. So we moved over to our new room and did a quick inspection to make sure everything was clean and working properly. First thing we found were crumbs on one of the beds! We were immediately disgusted but kept looking around. This time all the lights seemed to be working. But in the bathroom we noticed there was a bandaid, yes, a bandaid covering up a hole in the counter of the sink. And again the room was overall just outdated and dirty. Would not spend my money here again.

• Stayed August 2012
Time_Hotel_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Time, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear christinamv1986,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on you recent stay. I apologize for your experience and I am truly sorry that you were not satisfied. I know that sincere words of regret and apology cannot make up for your disappointing visit. However, we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Dana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Hebrew first
  • Vietnamese first
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My main man Jack at the Time Hotel exemplifies what hotel service is all about! Upon check in he greeted me with a smile and an upbeat attitude. Not only was he personable, he upgraded my room and sent up a bottle of wine on the house. The Time Hotel sets itself apart with high quality staff like Jack!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Time_Hotel_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Time, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Jeremy S,

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with us at The Time Hotel! Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I will gladly share your comments with Jack. Hope to see you again soon!

Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

It would be a challenge for me to commend just one aspect of The Time, New York City. My experience was exceptional from the moment that my car service pulled up to this prime location in Times Square. I received a warm and friendly greeting from the doorman and was directed to the front desk where my check in process was effortless. I felt like I was being welcomed into someone's home and not a hotel. My friend and I booked the penthouse suite and was thrilled to open the door to 3 floors of luxury with wrap around terraces and floor to ceiling windows. The view, en-suite sauna and the most peaceful night sleep took my vacation to a whole new level! The staff, at every level of employment. that I encountered was extremely helpful and a pleasure to speak with. I highly recommend your next visit to be at The Time!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Time_Hotel_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Time, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear MosiacArtist,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback of your stay with us here at The Time Hotel. I will be certain to pass it on to all of our department heads to share with their staff. Receiving feedback like yours is what we strive for and this motivates our staff to do their best.

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We arrived at the Time Hotel on 26th Jan 2013, we were greeted by friendly, helpful and efficient staff who remained this way throughout our stay. We were upgraded to a kingsize room on check in which was great, I had read bad reviews about the size of the rooms but ours was plenty big enough with a decent size shower room as well - would have liked a bath but we can't have everything! The only minor complaint would be that the room was a little tatty around the edges, some plaster was coming off in the bathroom and around the windows etc, but this obviously didn't affect our stay.
The hotel was always cleaned to a high standard. The bed was amazingly comfortable!
We visited the restaurant owned by the hotel one evening, tempted by the offer of 20% off if you had a theatre ticket stub from that evening, this was a great deal and the meal was very tasty.
The top trump card this hotel has to offer has to be the location, you are literally a 2 minute stroll from Times Square and all the main theatres. Central Park, the Empire State and dozens of the attractions are within easy walking distance. We mostly walked everywhere during our stay but taxi's were very easy to come by with a rank just down the street from the hotel.
All in all I would definitely recommend the Time Hotel to anyone wanting a great location and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade - worst they can say is no!
Dear Stephlg123.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with us at The Time Hotel! Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Until next time, happy travels!

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were there for New year eve so it was full on, the staff was pretty helpful and friendly the hotel room is good not too big but not too small the tower hanger was broken but I did report it, we were on 14th floor but unfortunately the windows wasn't enough to keep all the noise out of the room the windows are not thicker enough the and didn't have sum blocked either

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Time_Hotel_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Time, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Rodado,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding the service at The Time Hotel. It is through direct feedback like yours we can improve our service standards. I apologize for any inconvenience you had and do hope that you will join us again in the near future.

Fort Smith, AR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The locations of this place if awesome, just feet from Times Square, Great Food and Broadway Shows.

The people were nice and did keep the place clean. The rooms are a little dated and could use an update. Bed was comfortable. We had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs and it was good.

When we arrived I asked if they had any larger rooms, I was told they were all “Boutique Sized rooms” I got the point, it was small but still comfortable.

This is not the Marriot or the Hilton and as long as you know that upfront, you should be fine. It truly is a Boutique Hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear ntrober,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed Time’s location. Like you, most of our guests are thrilled to discover that the hotel boasts one of the best addresses in NYC and is located within a short walk of all of the major attractions of the city.Thank you for reviewing our hotel and hopefully we will see you again soon!

Hamilton, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The LivingSocial deal we got was fantastic; about $70 per night in a great Times Square location, one can not beat that in NYC. With prices as low, any possible complaints or negative observations are simply redundant.
Having said that, The Time is still three star maximum. The room we stayed in was extremely tiny. Unless one is going to just sleep in, there is not enough room for any body position but lying down in bed. The overall upkeep is rather poor, but not terrible, a kind of three-star poor. The flat screen TV of a very decent size was rather meaningless, for the TV reception was a sub-quality. One can't bring more luggage than an overnight bag, the tiny closet space featuring a curtain and no door is spacious enough for a duffel bag and a few clothing items only. The bathroom size, on the other hand, was decent. The HVAC unit was efficient (on a very cold day) but rattled non-stop; that would definitely be a problem for a light sleeper.
On the other hand, our room was very quiet, undoubtedly a great plus in a Times Square location. Also, prospective guests can get their parking tickets stamped, the parking garage is right across the hotel's entrance. From Friday morning to Sunday morning we got a $30 per 24 hours rate, which is quite attractive for the location. The housekeeping service was good. The hotel also offers dining services in the Serafina restaurant on the ground floor.
One more time it is imperative that one doesn't use the mini-bar. Because of the extremely cold weather we had to resort to its water bottles, the four of them made the hotel $84, more than our nightly rate for the room.
Overall recommendation: if a similar deal comes up again, go for it and spend all your time outside the hotel.

Dear RGSOUNDF,

Dana

Been to The Time? Share your experiences!