“The Only Thing Good is the Location” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Time to your Saves list
Booking.com The Time Hotel
The Time
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   224 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #319 of 447 hotels in New York City
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“The Only Thing Good is the Location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed in this hotel recently because of its location to Times Square and I got a good deal but the location is the only good thing. The biggest problem for me about this hotel is that they have an "automatic payment" system that has continued to debit my card even after I left! i was charged taxes 3 times and for a deposit that was not explained when I booked the hotel. After complaining twice I was told the charges would be refunded, but they are still pending on my account a week later. They then tried to offer an extended checkout time of one hour. At this point I told them I was leaving soon and did not want to stay here any longer. The rooms are ridicuously smal, even by NY standards. No fridge or microwave (which I would expect for the price). Wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Time_Hotel_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Time, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Annoyed10682,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed Time’s location. Like you, most of our guests are thrilled to discover that the hotel boasts one of the best addresses in NYC and is located within a short walk of all of the major attractions of the city. I am very sorry and disappointed that you were not satisfied with the rest of your experience. I am unsure what the issue was regarding releasing your deposit on the credit card. We take a deposit from all guests and the release process is mostly problem free, however, when we release from our system it may take between 5 and 10 business days depending on your bank for you to see that reflection. Please let me know if you would like me to contact the bank to attempt to expidite the process. You can reach me at dgiandalone@thetimeny.com.

1,182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Dallas, tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here b/c all the other hotels I usually stay in the area were booked up. It is pretty cheap for being this close to Times Square. I think the word "boutique" means very small rooms-even for NY. I was in a "large" room and I wouldnt want to have 2 people in it. My opinion is they put brigh colored bead spreads and fancy lighting in the room to distract you from the beat up furniture, old flat screen TV and small rusted out bathroom. The room just looked worn out. I will say the bed was comfortable but unfortunately my room backed up the the elevator bank and all night I could hear the elevators going up and down. I got a pretty poor nights sleep. I didnt go into the bar area, but it sounded like a night club in there. The gym was a nice size for the hotel.

I certainly would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Time_Hotel_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Time, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear cseanmc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on you recent stay. I apologize for your experience and I am truly sorry that you were not satisfied. I know that sincere words of regret and apology cannot make up for your disappointing visit. However, we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is literally only 2 minutes walk to time square and therefore right in the middle of the theatre district. The front of house staff were always polite and helpful. The cleaning staff always did a great job and always said hello when we passed them in the hall. To be fair the rooms are on the small side, but the bed was comfy and they were clean. You got a complementary New York Times each morning which was a nice touch. There is a funky bar in the hotel and a restaurant, that we had a tasty breakfast two days we stayed. Some of the common areas need a lick of paint or a new carpet.

I would recommend this hotel to a young couple or people who want a base near the theartre district and they won't be spending much time in their rooms. We paid €95 per night for a double without breakfast, great value.

• Stayed January 2013
Time_Hotel_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Time, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear cathal2008,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at The Time Hotel. We're thrilled that you enjoyed the amenities and comfort our rooms provided, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

For this price level, the Time hotel is just not enough.

The standard room is really tiny, even for New York standards, but even worse is the nagged bed cover, that makes you feel like sleeping in a run-down hostel, and hair that definitely doesn't fit the one on your head behind the door in the bathroom. For days.

On top of that, for a whole day the TV system didn't work and all answer received was "we called the service but they didn't come yet".

That the Wi-Fi doesn't automatically come free is impertinence.

On a positive note, if you book through iPrefer, their loyalty system, you get free Wi-Fi. And there's an iPod docking station and free TimeOut magazine in the room. End of positives.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear gsh_1975,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding the service at The Time Hotel. It is through direct feedback like yours we can improve our service standards. I apologize for any inconvenience you had to go and do hope that you will join us again in the near future.

Whitehaven
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Time is ideally situated on W49th street , 100 yards away from all TImes Square has to offer - decent enough hotel probably a high 3 star/ low 4 star rooms are clean and comfy and I'd stay there again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear kopite7,

Thank you so much for reviewing your stay at The Time Hotel! I'm glad to hear that you had such a pleasant experience, and we look forward to your next visit!

Motherwell, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights with my son in march. Hotel not cleanest I've stayed in but location wise for sightseeing very good. Stayed in Waldorf Astoria and intercontinental before and there is no comparison they are far superior in quality and cleanliness. Rooms at Time very small but fine as a base. Staff not as friendly as in other hotels but as usual u get what u pay for. My son at 18 loved this hotel as modern and central. Rooms just in need of tidy up paying attention to detail. Roll on next trip to New York.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Fiona H,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed Time’s location. Like you, most of our guests are thrilled to discover that the hotel boasts one of the best addresses in NYC and is located within a short walk of all of the major attractions of the city. I am very sorry and disappointed that you were not satisfied with the rest of your experience. Our ultimate goal is complete guest satisfaction. I apologize that we missed the mark. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and provide you with an experience that is memorable for the right reasons.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at The Time for three nights in December. Our small group had two rooms, consisting of a one bedroom suite and a standard room. After reading many reviews before committing to this hotel we were expecting tiny accommodations, but we were pleasently surprised. The suite was very clean, with great water pressure in the shower. The fold out sofa was made with clean linen but the mattress had seen better days and would possibly give a very uncomfortable sleep for
Any one over 45kgs. Staff at the hotel were very friendly, and wonderfully helpfull but we actually didn't see a doorman until our last day so can't really comment on his effectivenes.All facilities - TV's, coffee machine, hairdryer,fridge,safe were in good working order for our entire stay.
The Time is all about the location, most major tourist attractions are within walking distance. We didn't use the bar or restaurant as this was our first visit to NYC and we were too busy racing around the city like the crazy tourists we are.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you want a quiet night.