“Great location, good price, but average hotel, at best.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Time

Save Saved
You added The Time to your Saves list
The Time
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   224 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #328 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Pennsylvania
“Great location, good price, but average hotel, at best.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Time has a great location on 49th, a block off Broadway, next to the Eugene O'Neill Theater (Book of Mormon) and across the street from the Ambassador Theater (Chicago). Registration is on the second floor, which is not obvious. We stayed 2 nights and were barely satisfied with the room, but can't complain too much, given the price and location in NYC. Bathroom had lots of cosmetic defects (rusty shower rod, peeling paint, dry wall coming off, chipped paint on shelves), the TV remote didn't work (batteries were replaced but the on/off button still didn't work), the safe malfunctioned (was fixed promptly) and the room wasn't cleaned one day (we were there when housekeeping first came, but she never came back during the day; by evening, we told them to forget it). Room service was fine, their restaurant was very good for breakfast (great waitress), front desk was good, lounge was not bad, but music was loud. Bed was good, room was quiet. Will consider going back, for location and relatively low price.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor not facing the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Time_Hotel_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Time, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear tankr,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed Time’s location. Like you, most of our guests are thrilled to discover that the hotel boasts one of the best addresses in NYC and is located within a short walk of all of the major attractions of the city. I am very sorry and disappointed that you were not satisfied with the rest of your experience. Our ultimate goal is complete guest satisfaction. I apologize that we missed the mark. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and provide you with an experience that is memorable for the right reasons. Please contact me personally, so that I can be of assistance with making the necessary arrangements at dgiandalone@thetimeny.com.

Dana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Hebrew first
  • Vietnamese first
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We liked the location in the heart of things, but property needs some refining. There was a hole in our ceiling and the bedcovers looked frayed. Everyone was in a good mood though, both staff and guests as it was New Years Eve!

Dear vaca4U,

I would like to thank you for your recent stay in our hotel, and also for your feedback on your experience, it's crucial for us to indentifying problems and addressing them.

My apologies for our properties short comings, we are currently working on updating the condition of our rooms. We strive to provide superior service and I am glad that you were able to enjoy your New Year with us.

We would love it if you gave us a second opportunity. If you require future accomodations please contact me directly at dgiandalone@thetimeny.com.

Lucerne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Best value for money for being so close to Time Square.
Big and clean rooms. Helpfull and friendly reception and concierge (Our thanks to Jack for extending the check-out and to Jay for printing our musicals thickets).
We'll be back soon.

Dear Bruno2124,

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with us at The Time Hotel! Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Until next time, happy travels!

Main Beach, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

After travelling 20 + hours from Australia, I arrived at the JFK airport. Last minute confirming my reservation with "The Time", the receptionist said that my room is ready and available. Upon arriving at 2:00am New York time, I was greeted by drunken party-goers in the lift, people sprawled out on the floor of the front foyer and a young gentleman at the counter.

Lugging my suitcase to the foyer (Doorman was smoking outside and didn't offer to take my bags), I checked in. The young man at the counter advised me that my room was unavailable and he was unconvincingly "sorry". After arguing with him and creating a scene, he decided to put me into a sister-accomodation room for the night. He told me that it was a short taxi ride, to which he did not offer to pay for until I pointed it out that it was the company's fault.

Not knowing anything about New York City and travelling on my own, I was standing outside in the rain next to the doorman who, after 5 minutes, walked back inside because he needed a "coffee".

After staying at the sister-accomocation, I returned to "The Time" and demanded to speak with the manager. My meeting with the manager was successful after brief banter back and forward expressing my disappointment with their company; I was upgraded to a suite for the remainder of my stay.

The week went well, doing all of the tourist sight seeing and watching the Broadway shows; The room was comfy, had a view of the top of another building with exposed ventilation ducts and overcast skyline.

The "Time" finally came to leave and I had packed my bag, walked out of the room, down to reception and remember that I had forgotten my money bag (for tips, etc) and a couple of musical score books. Running back up to the room, to my lack of surprise, the room had been made over and everything was gone.

There was a cleaner in the hallway and I asked them if they had taken the things that were inside of my room, they pretend to not speak English and made it fairly obvious that they had no idea what was going on; So I spoke to them in Spanish and low and behold they knew....go figure. All of my belongings had been put into a plastic bag inside of the cleaner's closet, pressed under their backpack...I am sure for returning later......

Once again I was in the manager's office, complaining about the service of the "Time". The manager gave me a formal complaint report to fill out because they had.."technical issues" about reprimanding the cleaning staff in the Hotel.

All in all, the food at the ground level was average and overpriced, the service fluctuated and I would NEVER stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't settle for being "bumped", make sure you let them know that your v...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear o-Traveller-M-o,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on you recent stay. I apologize for your experience and I am truly sorry that you were not satisfied. I know that sincere words of regret and apology cannot make up for your disappointing visit. However, we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. If you would like to provide more details of your past visit so that we can improve please contact me at dgiandalone@thetimeny.com

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great Staff!! Great location!!! My husband and I stay at The Time when visiting New York City. I think this will be our 5th year. The Staff is helpful and always welcoming. The rooms are clean and comfortable and we are close enough to Times Square without having the rush of people pushing us through the hotel doors. We love it!! Can't wait to be there on Jan. 10th!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Gayle P,

Thank you so much for reviewing your stay at The Time Hotel! I'm glad to hear that you had such a pleasant experience, and we look forward to your next visit!

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel is very conveniently located near Broadway, Times Square and various subway stations but the rooms are tiny, the decor tired and the "bathrooms" horrible! Staff were quite friendly and acceptably helpful - although they could not fully sort out our bathroom complaints. Charges for ticketing assistance from the concierge were expensive ($100) in our opinion.

Room Tip: Check quality of bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Froggles5,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding the service at The Time Hotel. It is through direct feedback like yours we can improve our service standards. I apologize for any inconvenience you had to go and do hope that you will join us again in the near future.

Pegomas, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I've not been yet to The Time Hotel as my stay will start the 29th of december. But waht I can already say is that the team there has been very responsive and very helpful.
Charlie (Director of Front Office Operations) and Jay (concierge) have helped me to prepare my trip and I can say that I'm already more than happy about the service they offered me.

I don't know the inside of the hotel yet, but I can already say that the location is terrific as I already went in NY last year. So looking at the quality of the service, I already know that my stay can only be PERFECT.

Will give a more detailed review after my stay

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jeff-pego,

I am happy that we were able to help you before your stay and I hope that you had a great experience and that we will be able to welcome you back in the future!

Dana

Been to The Time? Share your experiences!