“Disappointing Service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Mark

You added The Mark to your Saves list
The Mark
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Madison Avenue at 77th Street, 25 East 77th Street, New York City, NY 10078 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Preferred Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 458 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Disappointing Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

First I will say that my review is not related to a stay at the hotel. I live in the neighborhood and stopped in for a drink with some friends during the big "blizzard" the other night. The bartender was not at all friendly and promptly informed us that the bar was closing early due to the storm.

Though the bar was nearly empty he seemed too busy to give me the water I requested several times, and it was a major chore to provide us with the nuts they typically serve with your drinks. What really upset me was that a hotel guest came in and the bartender refused to serve him, saying that if he wanted a drink he could order room service. The man came back in a few minutes later and tried to reason with the bartender, to no avail. My friends and I were horrified that a hotel of The Mark's reputation for service would treat a guest that way. I understand the City was shutting down and public transportation closing, but arrangements should have been made by the hotel to keep the bar open for guests who had limited other options. Sincere New York apologies to the unknown guest. If we had met you at the bar we would have brought you along to some other neighborhood establishments that managed to stay open and provide great service!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed during Christmas and New Years.
The hotel is fantastic!
The rooms are classic and finely remodeled
The Bar is truly spectacular
The restaurant is without a doubt. World class.
Best place to stay while in New York!!

• Stayed December 2014
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was our first visit to the MARK since its renovation, and we were delighted! The distinctively inviting lobby and unequaled service remain. The infrastructure and rooms have been substantially rebuilt with a marked increase in comfort, amenities, and quiet. The Mark has a great location - an easy walk to Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum of Art and some world class restaurants like Boulud and the MARK's great little bar. And it is an easy cab ride to the rest of Manhattan. The buzz and the lights of NYC are within easy reach while the MARK is a quiet, calming retreat.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are very quiet - with an intriguing view of little porches and gardens
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Olivier L, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
It is always a pleasure to read feedback from a guest that has stayed with us prior to the hotel’s redesign. I am delighted that on your first visit back you were met with the same impeccable service, and that you found a significant increase in the comfort and well-appointed design of our accommodations. I completely agree that although the hotel is only a quick cab ride to the lights and bustle of midtown, our location provides a unique retreat. Thank you for the thoughtful review and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Mark!
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I loved this wonderful hotel! The rooms are beautiful, the food we ordered up was absolutely sublime and the cherry on the top was the most fantastic strong shower I have ever had anywhere ! Morning runs were great as Central Park was a few steps away. Nothing is too much trouble . A Nespresso machine complete with a stash of pods sent up to my room, cookies and milk left in my kids room- everything was just perfect! The only flaw was a lack of a shower door in my kids room which left a very wet floor but the kind letter from the manager assuring me that we would not get this room when we visit again made up for that! GO TO THE MARK!!!!!

• Stayed December 2014
Olivier L, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to write this impressive review, and I am delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations through our personal level of service to the details we place on in-room amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Mark, and rest assured that we have made note of your room preference so that your next stay is most comfortable and pleasant. Thank you again for staying at The Mark.
Port Washington, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

All I can say is "wow". Wow to the food! Wow to the service! (Our server shake was the best ever) Wow to the ambiance. wow to the prices! (But worth it). We walked away at $160 per person. Be carful about what they do with the tip suggestion check box for credit card users. As has been previously mentioned the shrimp and avocado salad was stupendous. ($28) The pizza with tuna and or salmon was delicious. The pastas were as well done as any fine Italian restraunt. My pesto and brussel sprout was just a bit disappointing. If u want to mingle with recognizable faces and dress up is fun. This is a must see in the upper east side.

As in any very fine eating establishment, be prepared to wait a good deal of time in between steps of service. Our total dinning time was not short of 3 hours.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is gem. Stayed here to recuperate 2 days from a surgery, and staff, room service & housekeeping discreet, courteous & efficient. Can't wait to return.. Room service food impeccably delicious.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Tiburon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This past break my family and I stayed at the mark hotel. Prior to our stay we were throughly impressed by the concierge. They helped to plan things to do, restaurant reservations, and took great care of us once we got there. The restaurant is fabulous, and the rooms are very clean and well furnished. I will book here again when I travel to New York.

• Stayed January 2015

Been to The Mark? Share your experiences!