“Good hotel, inconsistent attention to detail” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mark

You added The Mark to your Saves list
The Mark
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Madison Avenue at 77th Street, 25 East 77th Street, New York City, NY 10078 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Preferred Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 459 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, inconsistent attention to detail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The Mark is a very stylish luxury hotel. Reception and concierge and excellent (as they should be at a hotel of this standing). However, some of the rooms are small with the door opening straight onto the main room with the bed - which if you are travelling on business and colleagues might pass by your room lacks privacy. Also, attention to detail of housekeeping is variable. For example, one day there might be a shower mat for the bathroom floor, another day it gets forgotten. A hotel of this stature should have excellent and consistent housekeeping.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Olivier L, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Mark on your recent business trip to New York City! I am pleased to hear that you found our reception and concierge to be impeccable. I apologize that you experienced some inconsistency with our housekeeping, and I only wish you had mentioned this during your stay, as we would have taken immediate care of your needs. I am however curious to know which of our room types you were unsatisfied with. Our smallest room is 400 square feet, with its layout providing sufficient space between the door and bed. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Mark in the near future, and we will make every effort to assign accommodations that meet with your requirements or expectations for your future stays with us. With our multiple layouts and configurations, we are certain we can find a room that you would be pleased with.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Monica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We booked the Mark as a diversion from our usual hotel on the West Side of NYC based on its web site and reviews. It is a truly luxurious venue. It is a nice size with no convention traffic and the rooms are quiet and restful with all the expected amenities (we especially liked the abundant ice in the freezer compartment). We were offered the hotel car for a complimentary trip to the Opera. The staff are efficient, courteous and promptly responded to our requests to clean the room at a certain time. All in all, we feel we have discovered a new favorite in NYC with access to Madison Avenue and the museums of the upper east side. Not inexpensive but for us it was worth the price.

Room Tip: Recommend the courtyard view as quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Great location, great service, wonderful rooms, comfy beds. All and all a great place to stay. Location on the upper east side is nice for shopping or going for a run in the park. My go to place in NYC

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor as Madison can be a noisy road.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Olivier L, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for the 5 star review! I am delighted to hear that you regard The Mark as your go to hotel when staying in New York City. I hope you were able to enjoy a shopping trip on Madison Avenue, as well as a run in Central Park. We greatly appreciate your loyalty, and look forward to welcoming you back on all your future visits!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Just returned from NYC and stayed in a junior suite at the Mark. Great location to Central Park, staff brilliant, room excellent. Nice touch of a bottle of champagne and a cake for my wife's birthday. Will definitely return and highly recommend. Garbage collection a bit noisy in the morning (early) but no fault of the hotels. Only disappointment was no free wi-fi

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Olivier L, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide a review of your stay on both Booking.com and Trip Advisor. It is always encouraging to hear compliments on our suite accommodations, as well as our staff’s level of service. I hope your wife had a memorable birthday celebration in New York City and enjoyed the cake and champagne. I only wish you had mentioned that you were having trouble connecting to our internet during your stay, as our hotel does offer complimentary Wi-Fi to all guests. Thank you for the wonderful recommendation and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again.
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

The location is great: a block from the park, next to the Whitney museum, close to all the nice stores on Madison.
The rooms are beautifully decorated and have great large bathrooms. We loved the mini-bar- best ever mini-bar I have seen so far!
The staff - concierge, reception and maids- are lovely and the restaurant - for breakfast and for dinner- is incredible.
When it is not high-season in Manhattan, it is the best hotel in town - for its value.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Many years ago, we stayed at the Mark Hotel, pre-renovation, and loved it then. The oak bar with forest green leather chairs, the black and white tiled floors and bathrooms, the New York City feel...all was glorious. I was initially skeptical about the renewed, refurbished Mark, and worried it might be too flashy and lose its previous character. Those fears turned out to be unfounded - the new, improved Mark retained its marvelous, boutique, uptown New York City character without sacrificing one iota of modern luxury. First, let me say, the Mark is one of the few hotels in the US that serves a proper afternoon British-style tea, complete with authentic scones and clotted cream. While such may be of little consequence to the average American, it was hugely important to me. Second, the restaurant offers exceptional cuisine. My friend and I had dinner there and left feeling quite overcome by the culinary bliss - the crab with a crisp Sancerre is not to be beaten. Third, the rooms have now been retrofitted with great taste to add the modern touches missing before - enormous and highly-functional closest space, grand and full outfitted bath room, a mini-bar to rival the most glamorous 5-star hotels. And all of this is delivered in an unpretentious, somewhat low-key manner. The staff offer unparalleled service - opening every door, securing taxis, delivering extra towels, extra drinks, and swift responsiveness at every turn. The door man even gave me a Mark hotel umbrella, and I use it to this day (thank you!). I stayed in a queen room that never felt small or cramped in any way - the space has been so well designed to function at a high level and feel uncluttered. The unrivaled location sets you at the door step of Central Park, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Madison Avenue's art gallery haven. I love the intimate feel of this hotel and plan on making it my New York home base many times in the future. I am also a fan of the Ritz-Carlton properties, and what I would say to those who ask is that the feel of the two hotels can be quite different, and difficult to compare. While more expansive, the Ritz properties offer an excellent, business-like experience. The intimate boutique feel of the Mark, combined with its location, make it an equal and excellent choice. If staying downtown, I would choose the Ritz; when staying up town, the Mark gets my vote.

Room Tip: I find the rooms that face away from the streets are best - very quiet and comforting. For business...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Olivier L, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
It was a pleasure having you stay at The Mark and I greatly appreciate you writing such an exceptional review! It is rewarding to hear such positive feedback from a guest who has visited us before and after our redesign. I am delighted that you found us to have the same elegant charm, yet with added modernity and style. I will share your compliments with our staff, as I know they will be pleased to hear your description of their unparalleled service. The restaurant and in-room dining team will also be informed of how much you enjoyed your afternoon tea, as well as your meal at The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and are very much looking forward to welcoming you back on your future visits to New York City.
Wilmette, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I was visiting NYC for business and to see the Whitney Biennel. Easy walk to the Whitney from the Mark, and not far from my appointments in mid-town. My room was extremely nice and well-designed. Best array of mini-bar snacks I have ever seen. Double sink perfect for couples. Breakfast was delicious, I recommend trying the creative, healthy, delicious smoothies.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Mark? Share your experiences!