“Lovely Upper East Side hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mark

Save Saved
You added The Mark to your Saves list
The Mark
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Madison Avenue at 77th Street, 25 East 77th Street, New York City, NY 10078 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
A Remarkable Summer Promo
Ranked #20 of 451 hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Lovely Upper East Side hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The rooms here are a highlight. Sizable for New York City and extremely comfortable, with an understated decor. The bathrooms are large and not understated - a fun, Art Deco vibe complete with black and white tile floors and a walk-in shower. Plenty of closet space and hangers, a selection of upscale magazines and consistent wifi.

The neighborhood is beautiful and quiet. You're not talking trendy here and it's a hike to most of the city's tourist attractions, with the happy exception of Central Park just down the block. But it's great walking down Madison Ave and window shopping at any time of day or night.

Restaurant selection in the immediate vicinity is relatively limited and pricy, but by venturing east and north you can find more casual options. The hotel has an expensive restaurant that draws an older, moneyed crowd and a bar that's crowded with local 30-something socialite types and Eurotrash. We amused ourselves for 45 mins one night having a drink in the lobby and watching the parade of older women in too short skirts and younger women in too tight dresses teeter in stilettos up and down the stairs to the mezzanine level restroom serving both the bar and restaurant.

Overall a very pleasant stay and I would return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

All you expect from a 5 star hotel a block away from central park you get at The Mark. The fitness area is quite poor though, but who needs a Gym when there is a Central Park just steps away.
The also have a shoe shine service provided by John Lobb!!!

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at The Mark for 2 nights in August while helping my daughter move into college in Morningside.

I prefer to stay at boutique hotels and almost always like the hotels on the Mr. and Mrs. Smith website and although The Mark is not one of their recommended hotels, I chose it for its location and the eye-catching bathroom. Even though there were many things about The Mark that I enjoyed (close proximity to Central Park and the Met, safe neighborhood, all marble bathroom, highly functional room) there were aspects of my stay that were less than stellar (service, room decor, noise, linens, degree of charm).

Details of my stay:

Decor
Mid century meets art deco with lots of highly polished surfaces. I thought the lobby was blindingly shiny and the seating was uninviting.

Guests
Suave and international.

Staff
Mature, seemed to be trained in hospitality, lots of slicked back hair.

Room
The first thing I saw when entering the room was a chartreuse curtain caught up in the lamp cord exposing an electrical outlet. Disappointing first impression. I couldn't wait for the front desk person to leave so I could fix the curtain and cover the outlet. Really?

I was on the 5th floor in a Madison King (although maybe it was a queen because the bed was really small). The entrance and hallway inside the room were large; the bedroom area was about 200 sq. ft. Although the decor was a nice seque from the pale brick buildings lining the street outside, the overall effect was bland: lots of neutrals. Design details included grass cloth on walls, commercial looking art, matching blond furniture and a mid-century style table and chairs (eyesore - looked like they were borrowed from the set of I Love Lucy).

Lots of closet space. Ironing board. Super cold A/C.

The bathroom was huge and entirely clad in marble. Double sinks. Giant bathtub. Mint green vanity. Good lighting. Lots of mirrors. Heated towel rack. Highly functional. No window.

Highlight of room: ice drawer

Drawbacks: Street noise, coarse BEIGE sheets

The Mark really fell down on the job for me. I made the reservation directly with the reservation department via email and phone. I requested an outside room on the 7th or 8th floor and if it wasn't available to please place me in a courtyard room. When I checked in, I was placed in an outside room on the 5th floor. No mention of my request.

I heard lots of street noise on the 5th floor.

On two occasions, my room key failed to open the door and I had to call for help.

The front desk was accommodating with both an early check in and late check out. Much appreciated.

Room Service
I only had breakfast. I called in the morning and my tray was delivered in about 10 minutes with everything exactly as I ordered it. Nice job.

Housekeeping
Immaculate. Inconspicuous. (Except for the offending curtain).

Transportation
You can walk to the park and a number of museums. If you want a NY deli experience, there is a Pastrami Queen deli a few blocks east. There is one train station a few blocks away but overall, you will be taking a taxi and I found that just about everywhere I went it was a $15 cab fare (including tip).

Room Tip: If you are on the street, request a room as high as possible (you will hear street noise on the 5th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our annual trip to New York has had us in many hotels. The Carlyle has been one of our favorites but the rooms can be a bit tired given other options. Enter The Mark, one block away. Renovated, refreshed with drop dead gorgeous bathrooms, lovely staff, a nice little street side bar and a John-George restaurant that didn't disappoint. Add in a Tesla S hotel car and you have one very nice, very friendly, very updated New York hotel choice less than a block from Central Park.

Room Tip: Frederich Fekkai hair salon on the second floor. " He" charges $750 a cut but for $120 you...
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My boyfriend wanted to surprise me and he booked 3 nights in a private appartment on Manhattan (Chinatown) - this surprise was a nightmare for me! I will write more about it on another occasion.

So after one night spent in that horrible appartment (120 E Broadway) I decided to treat myself and was looking for the most possible - but affordable - luxury. So this is the story how we found out The Mark hotel. I loved the design of the lobby, bar, restaurant and the rooms very much. The staff at the reception desk was extremely polite and nice, we could check in even earlier (noon) than according to the official hotel policy (3 p.m.) and were upgraded to a better room. It was impeccably clean and quiet. The only disturbance I could hear - and I am very noise sensitive - was the refrigerator, but it was not too loud, it was just a nuisance. After we have spend two nights there, we booked a car to the airport, it was not only there perfectly on time but it was a limo with a very friendly driver who gave us a lot of information about the city as well. We have had breakfast only once in the hotel, we were given a beautiful table but the organisation of the staff was not perfect. They forgot to bring us one order at all (they did not charge it though), the people attending to our table were changing and the signature breakfast was fine but nothing special. The belgian waffle was outstanding with fresh cream and strawberries. So after my terrible experience with a private appartment I was more than happy in The Mark hotel. I have been do NYC five times in total and this was definitely the most beautiful hotel where I have ever been. Of course the hotel is not for free but comparing to other hotels, the value meets the price.

Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there when going for a consult in ny
I was very sick and all the transpot were very far
The rooms were lovely and the hotel is nice
I was expelled from the restaurant because i was wearing bermudas
All in all i did nt like it

• Stayed September 2012
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I am writing this on behalf of my 19 year old daughter who was lucky enough to be taken to NY for five days with her aunt who was on a business trip. They stayed at The Mark on the Upper East side for two nights, and this is my daughter's review: "The Mark is just fabulous! It's the best ever location - just a few minutes walk to Central Park - and a haven of luxury. All the staff were so good, they knew our names and took good care of us. Tim the doorman was brilliant. We were upgraded to a junior suite which was amazing; two large bathrooms and extra-comfortable beds. I would recommend The Mark to anyone wanting a luxurious hotel close to Central Park".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Mark? Share your experiences!