“An extremely pleasant hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mark

Save Saved
You added The Mark to your Saves list
The Mark
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Madison Avenue at 77th Street, 25 East 77th Street, New York City, NY 10078 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #21 of 446 hotels in New York City
“An extremely pleasant hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

A very nice hotel in uptown n.y. The atmosphere is very wellcoming. The Decoration is timeless and very contemporary .rooms are well equipped cosy . The bathroom is very large the shower stream is great. In fact one the best hotel I have stayed in the world. The fitness offers a variaty of equipment for a medium size hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have traveled extensively in London, England and across Canada (my hotel stays have always been 4 to 5 star accommodations) as well as the Caribbean and several states in the U.S. I have never had the superlative service, atmosphere and the staff was friendly. I never heard an outside sound. The location is great. It is a smaller hotel with big service. Stayed in 5 star large hotels in New York before with small service and the staff were not as friendly or helpful, I was fortunate enough to stay one week at The Mark, quite frankly did not expect the service to last - it did. I will return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Olivier L, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
I am so glad you had a great stay at The Mark! Thank you very much for your kind comments on your recent stay with us, it was wonderful to hear that our hotel met your expectations. I am especially thrilled that you found our service to be helpful and ongoing. We are so happy to have been able to make your New York experience even more wonderful and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Olivier.
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My family spent Thanksgiving in New York and enjoyed a couple of nights at the Mark. The property is in an ideal location for enjoying Uptown Manhattan - close to the park, Madison Avenue shopping, museums, etc. The staff was friendly and very helpful, our rooms were beutiful and quiet, and the little details (including milk and cookies for the kids) were spot on. I've stayed at almost every high end hotel in Manhattan over the years, and I would be hard-pressed to name one that takes care of guests as well as The Mark. Superb.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed at The Mark over Thanksgiving weekend with our extended family and everyone agreed that it was a wonderful place to stay. The Upper East Side location can't be beat - so close to Central Park and the shops on Madison Avenue and the Met. The rooms are stylishly furnished with every amenity - great storage spaces - and the bathrooms are really lovely - marble, double sinks, heated towel rack - just beautiful. Beds were very comfortable.
The staff was terrific.
The only downside was the restaurant. We had a dinner at the Jean George restaurant which is part of the hotel and had a very bad experience there due to the poor service. It was so bad we did not return for breakfast the next day but went outside of the hotel to eat.
We did have a lovely lunch around the corner at Saint Ambrose, which has terrific gelato.
All in all, a nice stay.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard room which was very quiet ( no view but it was a good trade-off).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Olivier L, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your recent comment on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you found the rooms to be stylish and comfortable and our staff to be helpful and efficient. I am disappointed however to hear that you had a bad experience at The Mark Restaurant by Jean-Georges. Our restaurant staff work to provide impeccable service so it is very upsetting to hear when there is an inconsistency in that service. I apologize for your experience and hope to see you at The Mark on your next visit to New York.
Olivier.
NY/London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at The Mark for 5 nights the week after Sandy. I'm sure many of the staff travel in from outside of the city, but never did I feel a lack in service. Everyone was friendly and accommodating.
I checked in ahead of the check in time and pleased to find out I was upgraded to one of the king rooms. Check-in was quick and easy.
My room was large with lots of closet space, space to sit and relax and a large bathroom. I usually stay across the street at the Carlyle and in comparison this is a more Contemporary style hotel. Both are as good as each other, it just depends one what you want. I think you probably have more of a homey feel in the Carlyle.
The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows.
There was a turn down service as you would expect.
The lights and other features such as the window blinds, tv, air com were controlled via one handset which was a nice feature. Some lights were dimmers which was a great touch. Talking of lights, the bathroom lights were a little too much for me, but of the three different sets, you can easily switch off some. The bathroom was large, spacious and I had a shower and bathtub, helpful for a to soak after a snow storm. There is also a tv in the mirror.

There was a snow storm while I was there and as most people know getting a cab in bad weather in ny is hard. The door man was kind enough to wait a long time in the snow for me. Just shows how accommodating they were.
Free wifi is a major plus.

I had a very good stay and I'm debating on which one i would choose from the Mark and Carlyle for my next business trip.... Leaning towards the Mark.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

we had our experience in suite.

approximately 160 square metre of american style

but worst quality of suit and service! suite has musty smelled and absolute not ready for guests,

even no small drink or fruits welcome in suite!

staff on reception makes slow-paced service.

I said to them make bill 3 hours before check out. finally no bill and they tells me wait in queue...

can you imagine - spend thousands dollars for one night and receive bed only.

kitchen without home appliances, even no chance to make hot water and so on.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivier L, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your comments here on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that you felt that team members were slow in providing service. At The Mark, we truly strive to offer each of our guests a flawless experience; in turn we are extremely sorry when inconsistencies in our service occur. I am disappointed that you found your room to have a musty odor. We take great care to ensure our hotel is pleasantly odorized so I do apologize that it was not to your standard. We also provide appliances in suites upon request, a phone call to concierge or front desk would have rectified this and a toaster and kettle would have been brought to your room. I apologize for your experience and hope that you we will see you at The Mark again on your next visit to New York City.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Mark for 5 nights in October. I can easily say it is one of the most comfortable and beautiful luxury boutique hotels we have stayed at, hands down.

The lobby is quirky chic and impeccably clean. There are couches that provide a very comfortable place to wait or just people watch given there are always people milling about.

The rooms are very large by NYC standards and impeccably clean. I found the room to be beautifully furnished and incredibly comfortable and lush...it is clear a lot of thought and care has gone into the decor and furnishings of the room. The bathroom was magnificent. Looking at pictures on tripadvisor it looks chintzy retro, not glamorous retro...but I assure you that in person, it is quite luxurious in a very art deco type of way. Our room also had a kitchenette, which was a fantastic touch. The room has plenty of closet and drawer space which is quite helpful for longer stays.

We ate at the restaurant for breakfast and it was only just mediocre. New York is a haven of restaurants, so venture out for your morning meal, better value and will be tastier.

The one downside of this fabulous hotel is the slight snobiness of the staff. Luckily I am secure enough in myself, that it didn't really bother me that I was often overlooked so that extra special attention could be showered on the patrons flashing their money around their necks and fingers. In this way, it was a bit disappointing.

It is not to say that staff didn't go out of the way to help or that the service was bad...it just seemed that you had to be someone special they either knew or someone in the know to be looked after in a friendly manner. If you were anyone else, you were assisted but with a snooty demeanor. I witnessed this first hand and not just vis-a-vis myself, but in relation to various hotel guests. This is the only aspect of this hotel that would downgrade it from a true luxury hotel. True luxury hotels provide solid service and solid service is consistent, not selective.

There was also an incident where the hotel manager dressed down the doorman for not wearing the proper pants. This type of behavior is unbecoming of a hotel as beautiful and luxurious as The Mark...I'm sure issues with the staff could be handled somewhere other than in the hotel lobby. It's unnecessarily embarrassing to the staff member and uncomfortable for the guests.

That being said, the concierge was very helpful and the doormen were exceptionally nice. And if you get stuck for a cab, ask for the house car.

Having lived in the Upper East Side, where the hotel is located, I am partial to to the area. It definitely has more of a residential feel than downtown, but it's quiet which makes for a good night's sleep. There is also fabulous shops and cafes and it's only a short walk to Central Park.

Last tip, if you're flying out of Newark, take the train. Instead of a 35 minute train ride we took a 3 hour car ride because of traffic. Not worth it.

Overall, The Mark is a beautiful, comfortable and luxurious hotel and I would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivier L, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughtful comments on Tripadvisor. I am thrilled you found the hotel to be comfortable, clean and beautiful though I am disappointed to hear that you felt that some eam members were inconstant with their service. At The Mark, we strive to recruit staff that are open-minded and who treat every guest with the same respect and attention regardless of who they are, where they are from or how much they are spending at the hotel. I am also very disappointed you witnessed a manager address a staff member about his attire in the lobby. This incident was totally unacceptable as we work to not only provide our guests with an impeccable hotel but we care very much about our appearance and the service we provide. I hope that we will see you at The Mark again on your next visit to New York City!

Been to The Mark? Share your experiences!