“Hidden Gems Of The Upper East Side” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mark

Save Saved
You added The Mark to your Saves list
The Mark
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Madison Avenue at 77th Street, 25 East 77th Street, New York City, NY 10078 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #21 of 449 hotels in New York City
Marie49125
“Hidden Gems Of The Upper East Side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We had a very pleasant stay at the Mark Hotel. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a 77th Street one bedroom suite (we had book a courtyard one bedroom suite) to better suit the needs of our family (we came with a 3 years old toddler and a 9 months baby).

Apparently 77th street one bedroom suite has a bigger bedroom and the hotel staff was able to get us a rollover bed for our son and a beautiful crib for our daughter without getting in the way of our King Bed or the table and chairs (plenty of space in this bedroom). The suite had a living room and one master bath (bathtub and shower) and one smaller bathroom with only shower.

The L shape suite made it easy for my husband to rest if when in the living room with kids. The suite did not have a mini kitchenette, but staff was very helpful in providing us a kettle, a mini microwave and utensils to heat baby food. (Suite has a mini fridge full of goodies but spacious enough to accommodate few of your own items as well).

Ample closet space, makes it easy for you to store all the suitcases so they are not in your way taking spaces (we came with large samsonites and a stroller). An attention to details that you can only see in top notch hotels (macaroons, turn down service, cleanliness, politeness and timing response of staff, decor, crib had embroided bumpers! Free Evian water everyday!)

I would just be careful if you have little ones who loves "touching buttons", this beautiful and modern hotel has a Keypad that controls everything in the room. We had no clues that our son programmed a wake up with TV at 5.am...(since he loved to play with it, we just let it discharged and we used the "regular" buttons). So the first thing when you come would be to check if your keypad might have something programmed by a previous guest ;-)

Wonderful and competent staff (even found us a babysitter only 3 hours in advance!). Clean and neat rooms. A very pleasant stay will definitely comeback again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Since I arrived I have no words to say how wonderful is The Mark NY, the rooms are with decorated wtih exquisit taste, bathrooms sensational.
The most important is the reception team Julita and Wheeler they are wonderful, make feel you at home with style. Always with a smile.

Room Tip: Madison Av. rooms!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I'm picky. Most NY hotels have been a disappointment in years of travel, but this one is an exception. The rooms I have stayed in are modern without trying too hard, and the general level of service is very high. Only caution is that you have to commit to staying in the UES, which has pluses and minuses. Otherwise, highly recommended. I don't feel like a number when I stay here.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, get one overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
boca raton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The wife and I stayed over for three nights on the 20% discount plan. The offered rate of $508 for the 77th Street deluxe room turned out to be more than fair. Pleasing features of this hotel include a perfect location for museums and the UES, Jean Georges restaurant and bar on ground floor, pleasing and spacious spa and workout areas, nice crisp lobby, generally friendly staff, relatively new rooms, towels, linens, and pillows (mattresses ready for replacement), generous room size, apparently new marble bathrooms, and dependable, nice maids.

The Mark may be best described as a botique 5 star. It's without the 5 star amenities at the top, the room technology is a bit dated (quite small flat screen, undependable older Crestron system), and the hallway doors close very, very loudly. But failings tend to be nits when run up against the benefits of The Mark

We would happily come back to The Mark again, especially if the 20% was on.

Room Tip: Next time I would go for a high floor suite, but the 77th Street deluxe rooms are really nice too. T...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

My wife and I have traveled the world staying in the finest hotels and resorts. We frequently come to NYC and have tried many hotels but never The Mark. We just finished a three night stay and we'll never have to search for another hotel in NYC again. The staff was beyond superb and the room was spotless with a marvelous decor. The JG restaurant was wonderful as well. Our thanks to the excellent staff including Julita and Lauren! A true 5 star hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

After some serious research I decided to book The Mark Hotel for my sister's 30th birthday trip to NYC. The website tells a good story, but the reality is quite different. It's not a fun/lively hotel, more of a subdued/got no soul establishment.

We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite on arrival which was a nice touch, and one concierge (Isabelle) was extremely helpful with coordinating my sister's 2 best friends arriving as a surprise - I only wish we had moved hotel then as planned, rather than moving to a 2 bed suite within the hotel. Isabelle is so lovely it seemed like a good idea at the time (I did make the final decision & they did give us a good rate on the room).

GOOD POINTS: Rooms are spacious & clean. The hotel is in a great location close to Central Park (and only 5 mins by cab to fifth avenue).

BAD POINTS: Room service prices are insane. Staff (except Isabelle & the doormen) are quite arrogant (particularly another female concierge - when I asked re comedy nights & timings she responded 'I don't know, you'd have to look on line'). The bar is very small & packed with questionable female clientele. There's no outdoor area at all.

I could go on. In short we had a fabulous time in New York & will definitely return - just never to The Mark Hotel. Next time we'd definitely book the Bryant Park Hotel - it's a better location uptown & I suspect it won't be as stuffy as The Mark.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for contributing your feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us last week. I am pleased to read that our Chef Concierge Isabelle took such attentive care of you and your friends, and that you found our rooms comfortable. On behalf of my entire team, however, allow me to extend my apologies for the perceptions you have acquired about our hotel – first resulting from our room service pricing and then from the subsequent interactions you had around our property. It is unfortunate enough to hear that our facilities did not meet your expectations, and is even more distressing to hear that the service delivery from our staff only compounded your disappointment.

As humbling as it is to receive this criticism, your critique will serve our team well, as we do continually look to find opportunities to improve our levels of service and attention to detail. I would like to reassure you that, while your stay certainly did not meet the highest level of service I know we are capable of, your experience is a rare one – one that I hope you will allow us to improve upon, provided you choose to give us another chance in the near future. Once again, my sincerest apologies for the unfortunate series of events that occurred during your stay.
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is how 5 star hotels get to be 5 stars! We experienced friendly, gracious, helpful, and above and beyond the expected service during our three day stay last week. Upon arrival at 8:30AM we were able to check into our room and we were also asked if we would like an upgrade, leaving the room was difficult as it was so beautiful and comfortable.
The bar is a very happening place with a good vibe. We did not eat in the dining room, but it is beautiful and I am sure delicious also.
One day upon returning we were asked how our day was, my husband told someone it was a great day, it was my wife's birthday, five minutes later a beautiful cupcake and a bottle of water and San Pellegrino arrived to our room.
We asked what time check-out was and were told it didn't matter we could stay until 2-3PM if we needed. Wow! How often does that happen!
Upon leaving I told the concierge that they must hire the nicest people in NY to work there, he addressed me by name and said thank you. I was under the radar during my stay, how did he know my name?
I would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are quieter and we had one. The amenities and the TV in the bathroom over the t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Many thanks for writing this well-considered and thorough review of your June stay with us at The Mark. On behalf of my team, I am delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay and that every aspect of your time with us – from your early check-in and late check-out to our staff’s accommodating attitude – exceeded your expectations. Receiving such positive feedback like yours truly affirms the service promise we aim to deliver each day for our discerning guests. Thank you again for sharing and we look forward to having you both back very soon.

Been to The Mark? Share your experiences!