“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mark

You added The Mark to your Saves list
The Mark
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Madison Avenue at 77th Street, 25 East 77th Street, New York City, NY 10078 (Upper East Side)   |
Special Offer
Preferred Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We spent 3 days in this beautiful hotel situated in the most exclusive area of New York City, away from the chaos of down town, but close to everything. We stayed in Madison Studio Suite because our room wasn’t ready upon our arrival. After stepping into our room we were speechless and both of us agreed that The Mark is exceptional, and the only place in NYC that we would want to stay. We were hesitant at first to in deciding between The Surrey and The Mark, but trust me this hotel is exclusive in everything in quality and not just in design, but of the guests and of course the professionalism of the stuff, too much to mention, so I summed it all up the best I could.

As soon as you walk in the front door you're home - but close enough to all of NYC to appreciate: a block away from Central Park, near by Metropolitan Museum, and great shopping is right there on Madison Ave.

We loved our room so much that we spent most of our time in bad, which by the way was extremely comfortable, munching on truffles and other goodies we brought with us in the gift basket.

We always talked about mark and about its well established reputation, only admiring it from Surrey. We are delighted that we had the opportunity to stay at mark with our best friend through the word of mouth and we never travel without him, we considered it a privilege to have had an opportunity to stay at the hotel of such caliber and even though 4 months later at Soho Trump. Once stayed in The Mark, Soho Trump cannot pale by comparison.

Room Tip: Most modern. The bathroom of the future. Plenty of closet space, we had 3, the biggest was for me a...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Upmarket discreet hotel with excellent service and great room offers at the moment as it is it's second anniversary. We stayed for 6 nights in a 77 Madison King but moved to a courtyard king as the view was not worth as much as the quietness and the bathroom ended up bigger. Great location and very stylish area in upper east side. The housekeeping was amazing and the room facilities of the highest standard. Very luxurious bedlinen and bathroom fittings with very large bath and shower. All the staff were very polite and helpful with the exception of one bar man who couldn't be bothered to serve us a night cap when we came back and told us to order two drinks at once so he could close the bar or continue drinking in our minibar! Doormen very friendly and always willing to help when arriving or leaving. Maybe a separate area for paying bill from checking in would be helpful as reception area is very small. Good security when arriving back late if that is of interest but I think there are condominiums in the hotel so that may be why. Didn't eat in the restaurant (went to Viand on Madison for breakfast - excellent) as so many places to try in NYC! Overall very impressed and excellent value for money. Will definitely be back loved it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at The Mark Hotel in New York City in June. What a lovely way to combine a vacation with some family business. The room had every amenity. There was a remote control by the bed which controlled the radio, the MP3 player, the T.V., the room temperature and the window shades. There was a "modern european" styled bathroom with a tub and stall shower with plumbing accessories. However, the large glass mirror had a T.V. inset into it. You could soak in the tub and remotely control the T.V. The room was very well appointed and quiet; unexpected with the hubbub of the traffic of the city going on outside the hotel. All the staff were very helpful. If I am ever find myself planning to stay in New York City again I'm staying at The Mark Hotel.

Room Tip: Ther isn't a bad room in this hotel!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

First time I have stayed at The Mark since its renovation a few years ago and it did not disappoint. Stylish lobby with very good restaurant - had a light lunch here which was very good. Rooms are not huge but very stylish - very cool Sub Zero minibar fridge and wonderful art deco style bathrooms. For the price this is by far the best hotel I have stayed in in New York recently. I will definitely be coming back to The Mark.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I was in NYC with my 4-yr-old alone, just mother and son trip to see firework and I am glad I chose the Mark!! Everything you can expected from the 5-star hotel for the spacious, clean, well decorated, quiet room to attentive staffs. The doormen are all wonderful, we dealt with them a lot as we always in and out and they were so hurry to get us the cab.

Being a single parent traveling with young child, I was of course very concern. We stayed at Kimpton hotel last year and ended up dealt with rude staffs to my child. ....but this is beyond my expectation. I am not sure if you can call the hotel at this level as kid's friendly, but I can assure you from my experience with them for 4 days they had done fantastic job treating my child like a guest (not burden, like some other hotels in NY). They had a lot of respect for the kid and in return, kid will respect you.

The location is fantastic. It is next to Central Park and the Met. This hotel located on 77th, so it is right next to the playground and 2 blocks away to the boathouse lake. You cannot beat this location and safety. We took cab almost everywhere because traveling with kid, it is of course more convenience. It is about $10-15 to get to mid town really. The only mistake we made is go to battery park, too busy too many tourist. Upper East Side is safe and quiet stay, very elegant neighborhood as we all known.

The room is spacious. We had the King size room with almost 500 sq ft and 4 huge closets. Bathroom is amazing, deep tub and separate shower with amazing water pressure. You get hot water in 2 seconds and it is clean. My 4-yr-old wants to move in, of course who wouldn't!!

Kudos to the Mark...This is what 5-star hotel amenities and service is all about. Yes it is pricey but it is well worth it. We definitely will be back for more stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

my husband and I eloped in Central Park and stayed at the Mark that night. It was truly amazing, a first rate place and I will definitely be back the next time I am in NYC. This hotel is slightly above our normal budget (we normally stay at the W and had been at the W on Lexington for three nights before we came to the Mark) but I was hoping for such a special night it was worth the splurge, and we were not disappointed. the staff was so welcoming and friendly without being obnoxious or pretentious at all, and the building itself is spotless and beautifully designed, down to the lobby, the hallways, the rooms, everything. our check in was very quick and easy, and we got a room upgrade when we said we were on our honeymoon. they also sent up a complimentary bottle of champagne that evening while we were getting ready for the ceremony, which was very welcome :) all of the staff wished us luck when we left for the ceremony and everyone wanted to know how it went when we got back. we had drinks in the hotel bar after the ceremony while waiting to walk over to our dinner reservation, and it was also very nicely designed and not as crazy expensive as I expected, with a very laid back atmosphere. our room was very spacious (this could have been due to the upgrade, we requested a king courtyard room but I am honestly not sure what we ended up with - still a king room, and definitely not a suite, but it did seem bigger than I expected and what others have said) and very comfortable - nice linens, beautiful, soothing decor, plenty of storage room for our luggage, clothing, etc. the minibar almost knocked me out, it was the best one I have ever seen and the prices were even reasonable, especially after coming from the W the few nights we were in town before. everything you could ever think of in the way of mixing drinks or having snacks was provided, and plenty of it. we didn't actually use anything from the minibar but I know if we would have been there more than one night it would have been tempting. the bathroom was amazing with a double vanity with a tv built into the mirror on one side, a marble soaking tub big enough for two, a nice big glassed-in separate shower, and closet also. I just can't say enough about what a great time we had at this hotel and I really can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I don't advocate lying but if it really is a special occasion, let them know! they seemed very...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

This is my second trip to the Mark this year. I returned because I like the location and the service was excellent during my first visit. The second visit was a little disappointing! We requested (and had confirmation for ) two single beds as I was traveling with my daughter. Initially we were placed in a king room and had to ask to be moved. I was expecting an important letter. No-one knew where it was and the sender assured me they had dropped it off! First night we had a turn-down service with chocolates on the pillow, after that no chocolates!
Small things that take a hotel from very good to excellent! In this case, it did not make the mark!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Mark? Share your experiences!