“Excellent value, but no sink in hall bathrooms?!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Larchmont Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Larchmont Hotel
27 West 11th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Greenwich Village)   |
Ranked #258 of 451 hotels in New York City
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Excellent value, but no sink in hall bathrooms?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I needed a place to stay in the city for one night, and this was substantially cheaper than anything else I found (especially as a single traveler -- it was helpful that they had smaller rooms with single beds). I understand the concept of the "budget" hotel, and I'm not one to complain about the amenities being accordingly basic of even a little drab. If it's safe and clean, I'm happy.

What disappointed me about Larchmont was the fact that the hall bathrooms didn't have sinks. They just had hand sanitizers, presumably since you can go actually wash your hands in your bedroom (which has a sink). I was nevertheless a little surprised and mildly disgusted by this, as I did not think it was the most sanitary arrangement. Maybe this is normal in New York (?), but I have not observed this shortcut elsewhere. I've always just assumed that bathrooms came with sinks....

That said, it was fine, especially for a night. Given my needs, I'm not sure I would have chosen to stay somewhere else instead for surely another $30-50+.

Pluses: Excellent, central location. Free continental breakfast included. Friendly and accommodating staff. Wifi.

Cons: No sink in hall bathrooms. Relatively thin walls.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed here for a week on September 2012. Good location, on a very quiet street (especially at night). Continental breakfast is simple but good - buns and rolls were tasty and fresh.

Each floor is segmented into two wings, each with 4 rooms and 2 bathrooms. So, although there are no private bathrooms, I spent 7 days there and never had to wait for a free bathroom, and they were always very clean. Each room has a sink but no refrigerator.

The only downside is that the nearest subway station is a good 4 blocks walk, which is a pain if it is raining or late at night when the streets are empty.

I am probably going to NY again in a month or so, and will definetely stay again at the Larchmont.

Room Tip: I got a front room on an upper floor, it had a nice view over the surrounding buildings and overlook...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pembroke Pines, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Wonderful, inexpensive, place to stay when bed and breakfast is all you require. The staff is most helpful with ideas and directions and more. Breakfast is satisfactory. Many rooms use a shared restroom, but, I never saw anyone else when I was there. It is right near New York University with easy access to everything.

Room Tip: Elevator is available. I thought all rooms seemed equally as good, but not all have an in room toile...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
West Yorks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

A nice quiet hotel in Greenwich Village. I originally had one of the tiny single rooms but they are all at the front overlooking the street so I paid $109 for the next sized room overlooking the courtyard at the back.

Never saw anyone else use the shared bathrooms so no issues on that account.

Free use of computer and printer.

I would definitely recommend for budget travellers.

• Stayed March 2014
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The Larchmont is a fantastic little hotel/B&B & residence in Greenwich Village. The location is absolutely perfect. You can easily get to a number of eateries--from 24 hour French cafés to pizza by the slice. It is an easy walk to Christopher Street. Also, it is very quiet and safe. Getting to a subway is about a 3-4 block walk.

As I mentioned, people reside here. The residents coexist well with the hotel guests--in fact, the atmosphere is quite warm and homey. There are no en suite bathrooms, but I didn't find this to be too inconvenient. Also, the prices weren't raised for the holidays. (We stayed for a week from Christmas Day to NYE) You absolutely cannot beat the price--we paid about $120/night. Breakfast is served in the mornings--it's your typical continental fare. The only downside is that the walls are quite thin. Other than that, I loved the Larchmont! I will only stay here when I visit New York.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor, east wing in front of the hallway door entrance. The lovely little man w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Larchmont in October and were very happy with the location, room and shared facilities. In particular the location of this B&B was excellent. We had a larger queen room, and although still on the small side was clean, tidy and perfect for our stay. Shared bathrooms were always clean, with no wait despite it being fully booked at the time of our visit. The entire building was very safe with keys for the lobby, foyer, keys to the wing and keys to the room. Breakfast is strictly for bread lovers, with tea, coffee and juice.

Essentially you feel part of the village, within walking distance of everything. Citi bikes located at the end of the street meant that we were able to cycle all over NY and get back to the hotel quickly. I would definitely go back to this hotel if we were in NYC, without kids.

Room Tip: The larger queen room at the back of the building is very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Larchmont Hotel was recommended to me by an older university colleague. Considering that it is virtually unheard of getting a room in New York for less than $100/ night, Larchmont joins the likes of Hotel 17 and the YMCA as a totally passable budget option in the Big Apple. Yes it's dated, yes the single rooms are tiny, yes the showers and toilets are shared, but all this is normal for New York in this price range. I was very happy for three days at Larchmont due to it's efficient house keeping, simple but clean facilities and it's great location, for exploring the West Village. I checked in after midnight and there was a chipper lady at the reception desk who had no complaints about my late arrival. They've put a bit more style and sophistication into their decor, which has a fin de sicle feel (which is a bonus in this bracket). Continental breakfast is toast and mini pastries and tea in a paper cup, but wouldn't you rather go out to breakfast anyway, maybe at Bubby's? I had a single room during the July 2013 heatwave and was happy with the fan and aircon in the room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Larchmont Hotel? Share your experiences!