“Great place to stay & very inexpensive” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Newton

You added Hotel Newton to your Saves list
Hotel Newton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2528 Broadway, Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #283 of 463 Hotels in New York City
upstate ny
“Great place to stay & very inexpensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed in a Deluxe Jr Suite which had a two double beds and a small sitting area. Room was plenty big enough. Extremely clean, quiet and safe!!!! However the air conditioner was not that great. It was a window unit very quiet but did not work very well. My suggestion is turn it on as soon as you get there and hopefully your room will be cool by the time you return. Every travel website I visited had this hotel at a 2 star rating, this should be changed to at least 3.5. I will definitely being staying here again if my adventures consist of the Upper West Side.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
MILO928, RESERVATIONS MANAGER at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, September 17, 2009
I thank you so much for your kind comments and I fully agree, we should have a higher star rating. In New York, they won't give you a higher than 2 star rating if you don't have a working restaurant in the hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us which I expect to be better than the first!

Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Turkish first
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

I stayed at the Newton in March for two nights and was very happy there -as a result when I needed to arrange to recommend a hotel on the Upper West Side for a large wedding groupin August I asked Emilio the manager to reserve 16 rooms -in the end our party ocuupied 25 rooms for various lenghths of stay---7 were for single ocupancy and the others double --varying from 13 nights for some ,10 nights for others .down to 2 or 3 nights for some others .
The hotel was clean . The staff were ever so obliging . The rtooms all have clean new bathrooms ,and micro wave and good size fridges . There is no restaurant in the hotel itself and the lobby is not too big but there is a diner next door which seemd to be clean and effficient , and for those people who wanted Kosher meals on the next Avenue [Amsterdam ] there was a selection of Kosher cafes etc .and there is a synagoue the OZ on West 95 th Street within 5 minutes walk.
Central Pak was 10 minutes one way and Riverside dDve 10 minutes the other way .
The Subway station is right out side . Nothing was too much for the staff .and no one of our party had any real complaints . If you want a double Queen sized room you have to specity that when booking . There is one lift and two staircases .
Some pole who had rooms facing onto Broadway heard the traffic noise .
I owuld ecertinly whole heartedly recommend the Newton -there is nothing in the area to compare --you have to go to 80 th Street to find something else and having stayed in a hotel down on 80 th there last year which was supposed to be superior I would rather stay in the Newton .
One c again I can say that nothing was too much bother or trouble for the very patient and smiling staff .
Well done Emilio -you lead a great team !

• Stayed August 2009
MILO928, Reservations Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, September 17, 2009
hello Mr. Baigel,

let me say that it was an absolute pleasure to work with this guest. I have never seen a guest so organized as he planned his son's wedding. You took absolute care and love into all planning and I would only hope that my own family would do as good as a job as you did. I'm sure that your son realizes the extent of care that you took with all issues regarding the hotel and care of the guests staying here. I am also sure that someone close to you was smiling down on you for having put together such a perfect arrangement. Again, it has been a pleasure to work with you and I would not hesitate to do it again.

san diego, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

My 22 year old daughter traveled to New York by herself, taking the red-eye from California and arriving at the Hotel about 9:30 am. They were so gracious and let her check in early.
The staff was very helpful and pleasant. Easy access to the subway and lots of places to eat nearby. The room was small, but I guess that's New York! She will probably stay there again in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Wrexham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

We were really happy with this hotel particularly the staff friendliness, cleanliness (excellent chambermaid) and location. I can't see how for the excellent value for money why anyone could be negative. Being really close to Central Park 10 mins and only 15 minutes by subway to Times Square and 30 mins to Greenwich Village and 45mins to Battery Park it is great. The Upper West side is very relaxed with great local restaurants near by. The Key West Diner next door to the hotel is great for breakfast, the DIVE BAR on 732 Amsterdam Ave 2 mins behind the hotel is great for relaxed beer and burgers and for a delicious local Italian you must try Gennaro 5 mins away on 665 Amsterdam Ave. The bottom line is the Hotel Newton provides a relaxed, quiet hassle free experience and we loved our trip!
Laura and Tim
Wrexham
North Wales
UK

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
I thank you for your recent comments! Every great review shows us that we are doing all we can to make every guest comfortable, happy and satisfied! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Whitehorse, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

My mom and I stayed at this hotel after reading the positive reviews on multiple hotel websites and hearing that it was close to Columbia University where we were helping my sister move. Though the price was right, I feel an obligation to share my disappointment in this hotel.

There’s no doubt that the location of this hotel is ideal. It’s across the street from the subway and conveniently located next to banks, drugstores, diners and cafes.

To the point, if you are given an ‘07’ room, switch! Even though we had requested a room with two single beds, we were given a room with one double bed, which wouldn’t have been a big deal if the room wasn’t so small and run-down. It was no joke, maybe a foot larger than a king-size bed. Not only that, this room had not been updated like the rooms in the photos you see posted by other guests. The carpet felt damp, the wallpaper was stained, the bathroom could only fit one person in at a time and it felt all around dirty. We even found hair in our bed which made us think the sheets had not even been changed. We were so tired from moving that we unpacked anyways and settled in for a very uncomfortable night. I’d read that the a/c units were loud, but this one sounded like a semi-truck revving its engine every 15 minutes. Needless to say, we did not sleep well and requested a new room the next morning.

When I first asked about switching rooms, the front desk person who had originally checked us in told us that they were “all booked”. When I asked to at least be changed for the 3rd night, he proceeded to generate two new key cards for us and told us that we could move into a new room right away. Our first feelings were of relief as we moved next door into the room with the two twin beds that we’d been expecting, only to then realize that this room had been available all this time and that he had lied to us about being “all booked”. I’ve heard of this being a hotel practice, but it left us feeling enraged and very much ripped off. As we returned our original keys, we made a point to the front-desk person that the rooms were very different from each other and should not be considered of equal value. Instead of apologizing or offering some cheesy customer service line, he told us there was no guarantee, implying that he was doing us a favour by changing rooms. It was not the reaction we’d been expecting and left us with a bad taste in our mouth for the rest of our stay.

If you do decide to stay at this hotel, be prepared for the following:
- poor service by the front-desk
- slow elevator
- no in-room safes
- thin walls (you can hear your neighbours wake-up calls)
- dirty and dated hallways
- small bathrooms (though we were pleasantly surprised by the heated floors of our new bathroom because of the location of the hot water pipes)
- limited bellman service
- 30 minute walk to Columbia (or 2 stops on the subway)

In the future, I would look into staying elsewhere, possibly at a hotel chain. At least they have standards on room cleanliness and how to treat their guests.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
MILO928, Reservations Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, August 7, 2009
hello,

I would like to begin right at the beginning of your comments. We would never ever keep a guest in a room where a hair was found and if i were the guest and this was found along with damp carpeting, i would check out of the hotel immediately without fail. This was scare me to stay in a property with these problems. I don't ever believe that if we originally had a room that would make you happy, we would go through all the trouble to torture you for two days on end. It is just inconceivable that any property would do something like this. I have looked through our log book and believe i have found your reservation as there was a rooming issue with a guest the week you came in but the reservation was booked for a double bed and when you came in, we told you that we would look to see if we could switch you but had nothing for the first two days. We were not punishing you for booking the other room. If we had a room with two beds, you would have had it. The other complaints that you have listed never happened and I don't mind anyone commenting on Trip Advisor whether they have had a good stay or not so good stay because the truth is we can never make everyone happy but i do ask that you honestly comment and I feel this is not the case here. the rooms are never advertised as equal quality as each room has different bedding and specification as every hotel would have. We are no different in this aspect. I would never want any of my front desk staff to give you, as you said the cheesy hospitality line! the Hotel Newton doesn't deliver that! if a guest wants us to smile at them and do nothing, they can go to a cookie cutter hotel chain. We smile and take action to try to make the situation work and I personally am out at the front desk with most problems looking for solutions. Regarding our bellman service, we have bellman service 7 days a week from 8 to 7pm which goes along with most hotels. we have someone to bring luggage into and out of the hotel 24 hours a day. Hot water pipes are not even visible in the rooms so that comment is just not even understandable. The sheets are changed daily and if i ever, as a guest walked into a hotel and felt the sheets were even the least bit dirty, i would step out immediately but this guest stayed 4 nights with dirty sheets, hair on the bed, bad service, wrong room, thin walls(preposterous) dirty halls, damp carpeting and unclean room whereas the entire city is bustling with rooms at hotels. I would ask all prospective guests to read this and think about what they would have done if this was the case with them, especially at a time that every hotel is struggling and every hotel has rooms at great rates. it is something to think about.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

This hotel was excellent on my opinion, although it is quite far uptown the subway is literally right outside the door and it brings you right into the heart of the city between 5th avenus and Times Square. The rooms are lovely, really clean and well maintained and have obviously been renovated recently. Our room also had a fridge and a microwave as well as a large tv. I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
hello,

Thank you for such sterling comments regarding our hotel and I am so happy that you're stay was a success! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Fort Myers, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

My teenaged daughter and I stayed at Hotel Newton for a week in July, and we would stay there again on future trips to NYC. We found the price to be quite affordable for being in Manhattan's Upper West Side and within walking distance to Columbia University, the purpose of our NYC trip. It's also within walking distance to Central Park, which we enjoyed.

The manager Amelio Morales was very hospitable, friendly, helpful and professional. On several ocassions, I saw how very attentive he was with other guests.

The staff at the front desk was also very helpful and friendly. Landry, Charles and Awaab always greeted us with a friendly what-can-we-do-for-you smile. They were willing to answer questions and help in any way needed. We'll remember the warm and smiling face of Eduardo who helped us with our luggage and directions and who served at times as doorman. We also had the convenience of booking our city tour at the front desk.

The room with its two queen-sized beds was roomy, very comfortable and clean with a big-enough TV and great channels. There was a fridge, microwave and a coffee maker. The bathroom was very clean and well supplied and the maid service was excellent. We were very close to public transportation - the subway and buses - and even though the Newton is located at 96th Street West, we often made it to Times Square in less than 20 minutes on the express train on the subway. The Newton is right next to a nice restaurant, and just steps away from internet cafes and fast-food outlets.

I learned of Hotel Newton from visiting Columbia University's website where it is among those hotels recommended for parents and students who wish to tour the campus.

Thanks to Amelio and his wonderful staff for making our stay in NYC so enjoyable!

• Stayed July 2009
MILO928, Reservations Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, August 21, 2009
What a great review from a great guest! I have to say that we, the staff had the absolute pleasure of having you and your daughter with us! Peggy, you were a pleasure to help with everything and we can't wait until your next stay with us.

Reservations Manager

Been to Hotel Newton? Share your experiences!