“Very pleased!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Newton

You added Hotel Newton to your Saves list
Hotel Newton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2528 Broadway, Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #284 of 464 Hotels in New York City
London, UK
“Very pleased!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

First of all, the location. The Newton Hotel is situated on the Upper West Side in such proximity to the subway, Central Park, restaurants and cafes as well as good shops that it is hard to wish for a better location. Anyone who wants to stay in a safe neighbourhood should consider this hotel: they will not be disappointed.

Secondly, accommodation. I had a double room on the 2nd Floor overlooking the Broadway (I got what I requested at the time of booking) which was clean, comfortable, warm and spacious. Don't get me wrong - the room was not big but not tiny either: just a good size for a single traveller. I guess it might be on a smaller side for 2 people but it was perfect for just one. As mentioned in previous comments, I found the coffee machine with free coffee sachets extremely useful. I also appreciated the fridge and, although I never used it, I am sure other guests appreciated the fact that there was a microwave oven in the room too. Overall, I had an impression that whoever designed the rooms had the guest and their comfort in mind first and foremost.

Bathroom was small and somewhat awkwardly designed but very clean with good shower and good quality towels. It was cleaned every day (not that I made any mess!). Also, the shower curtain was superbly clean, or I might have been lucky to have gotten a new shower curtain altogether!

The furniture was not luxurious but functional and (important) did not look like it was picked up from some discounted store just for the sake of having some sort of table and chairs in the rooms. Basically, the furniture was simple, relatively new and practical. I wasn't sure about the bedsheets though: some days I would have the nice and crispy sheets, and the other day I would end up with the old and somewhat worn out ones. It would be great if the old ones were discarded altogether and the newer ones used all the time. Also, a couple of times, a change of sheets would constitute the top sheet being put on a mattress and the mattress sheet used as a top one - this I didn't like at all...

And last, but not least, the staff. I wouldn't say the staff, overall, was very friendly but everybody was very efficient which, in my book, is really important. Of course, efficiency combined with genuine, courteous friendliness would go a long way but maybe it was just the winter blues that some of the staff members were affected by. In any case, I did not have a problem with it... it's just the atmosphere could be a bit lighter and more welcoming with a few smiles here and there.

And finally, I would definitely stay at The Newton Hotel again. I have already recommended it to quite a few friends who visit NYC on a regular basis as it is hard to find a nicer hotel with good rates and great location such as this one.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
newtonNewton, Reservations Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, March 6, 2009
hello,

I am so pleased that your time with us was a good experience! your comments will all be taken into serious consideration as I liked the fact that you were complimentary but also gave us some critiques on how to make the product better. I am happy that our staff was efficient in all. However, we strive to have a friendly, approachable staff in the same manner as in my opinion, efficiency goes hand and hand with friendliness. Rest assured, we will be looking into every issue to perfect it to a science and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Emilio Morales Jr.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Turkish first
frederick, maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Though farther uptown than we've stayed before, we tried the Hotel Newton because it is part of the Empire Group and it was a great deal-three nights for under $400.00 including tax. It also received good reviews on Tripadvisor and Expedia.com. We weren't disappointed.

The rooms are clean and bright. It's proximity to the 96th. St. station on the 1,2 & 3 subway line gives you the option of either a local or express when headed downtown.

Within 3 blocks are Gotham Wine and Spirits (very reasonable prices), Dock's Oyster Bar (great Sesame' Tuna and Blue Points) and Barzini's Market.

Verify your quoted rate when you sign in though. When I registered, the rate for one night had increased from $95 to $140. I brought this to the clerk's attention after registering and without hesitation he honored the original quote.

I'd definitely take advantage of Hotel Newton before the rates go up, which undoubtedly, they will.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
I thank you for your comments and let me begin by personally apologizing for the mix up with your rate. I personally take blame for it as we inputted rates wrong for your reservation. I am pleased that we were able to right the wrong right away. We ask all guests to review their rates before they check in as human error is always pleasant. This is a system that has worked and in your case is a perfect example. I will be going to Docks to try your suggestion as it is a great restaurant and i look forward to your next stay with us.

Cologne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for seven nights. We booked a Double Room, but we were three people in the end, which was absolutely no problem for the hotel. They upraded us for a low fee to a Queen Queen Room.

The size of the room was more than ok. We had enough space to store all our luggage. The facilities were great. It's really nice to have a microwave and a fridge in the room. The bathroom was good, too. It was in good order and clean.
Maid service was excellent. The room was cleaned thorough every day.

The staff was very nice and helpfull.

There are two computers in the lobby with access to the internet. But I found it a little pricey(1 Dollar for only 5 minutes). It's definately more worthwhile to book the Wifi option, which gives you access to internet in your room(it costs about 5 Dollar per day).

A drinks dispenser is located on the second floor as well as telephones.

There are plenty of restaurants near the hotel. A pharmacy and supermarkets are just a few metres away. The subway station is just a 1-2 minutes walk away. Express trains stop also there, so the Times Square is just 2 stops away.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — everything but the radiator
  • Disliked — loud radiator
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
newtonNewton, Reservations Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, February 20, 2009
hello,

I would like to thank you for your recent comments and I am so happy that your stay with us was a success. We strive to make every guest happy and comfortable in our property. We look forward to your next stay.

Emilio Morales
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

My Wife and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and did not have one complaint.
The location is brilliant. Next to the hotel is the 96th Street subway station which you can catch either a number 2 or 3 which are express routes. It will take roughly 5 to 10 minutes to get to Times Square or Penn Station.
The hotel is next to a Thai restaurant which is ok, a fantastic Diner (Key West Diner) and there is also a big store on the corner. Central Park is a 5 minute walk away.
This hotel has everything that you need. There wasn't anything else we could have asked for.
All of the staff are really friendly and helpful, they were very nice.
The value for money this hotel offers is excellant. I definately recommend it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pigeons
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Istanbul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

This hotel is just a perfect place to stay in NY! We had a "double double" room (two twin size beds), with private bathroom. The room was good size (there was even enough space for an additional bed, that we requested when a third friend needed a place to stay for two nights), sparkling clean, bathroom brand new, towels changed every day....quiet... there was a coffee machine in the room (with regular and decaf coffee available), microwave and a minifridge, hair dryer, ironing board and an iron available in the room as well! TV... closet... chest.. desk.. nightstand... Two computers available in the lobby, for internet and printing, and wireless internet available in the rooms for 5$ a day, which is reasonable.
Staff nice and helpful...

Neighborhood nice, shops and restaurants available in vicinity...
Express subway right in front of the hotel is super convenient, so even though you are up on the upper west, it is only 2 stops to Time Square, 5 stops to Village and Soho!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and I will surely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
thank you for your recent comments and we look forward to your next stay with us. Your review makes us strive even harder to have every guest have as great a stay as you had

Clare Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

Not a bad word to say about this place. Location was good, subway just outside the door. Price was great and the room was very big for New York. A good number of bars and places to eat were all within a couple of minutes walk. Also a fantastic diner right next door. Great spot.

• Stayed January 2009
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

My colleges and I have been staying at this Hotel a few days each month for some time now. Each time we are greeted by friendly, courteous staff, and clean comfortable rooms.The location is convenient to everything we need including our client offices. I would highly recommend these accommodations. **KSD,Florida**

• Liked — Friendly, helpful staff
  • Disliked — Slow elevator
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
newtonNewton, Reservations Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, January 21, 2009
I would like to begin by thanking you for your kind comments! we love having you both with us as you are practically part of our family. Over the years, we always have guests that stay with us frequently who become dear to us and you and Mrs. Jose are definitely guests like that!

Reservations Manager

Been to Hotel Newton? Share your experiences!