“Great Value and Easy access to Upper Central Park” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Newton

You added Hotel Newton to your Saves list
Hotel Newton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2528 Broadway, Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #285 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Great Value and Easy access to Upper Central Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Note: This is a share bath room hotel.
The batch room was always clean and tidy nice bath room setting
The room size is average but nicely set up
Older style and cosy that why we picked it.
Air conditioning was a bit noisy but was ok to sleep with.
Location suit us best because of the Upper Central Park we want to spend the time to walk to down town less than 15 minutes walk to the Reservoir.
Easy to get to from the airport by the Uptown A,C or E train and change to 1,2,3 at 42nd St and get off at 96th St just a short walk toward 95th street,
No Free WiFi $4.5 a day for two devices

MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your review and helpful tips for our guests. I am happy that all went well. Please be aware that the Hotel Newton is not a shared bath hotel. We only have 10 rooms that are shared bath while every other room has private bathrooms. If our guests are booking online, the only room that is a shared bath is the Standard Shared Bath, all Superior and Deluxe rooms are private bath.

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

The staff was very friendly, there is a great little diner right next door and its convenient to the subway station right across the street. I should also mention that there are some great restaurants within walking distance on both Broadway and Amsterdam Ave. On the downside... the room was small, the elevator broke down and the air conditioner in the room was so loud I'm certain it was keeping people awake 3 rooms down from mine. In any case, the price was reasonable (for NYC) and the place was very clean. Unless I had to be closer to Times Square or the Javit's Center, I would likely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed on a queen room on the 6th floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your review and let me personally apologize for the elevator issue while you were here. We do the best we can with these issues but it happens with elevators. Regarding the AC, we do use noise control AC units and in rooms, you will hear some noise as it is a closed room however if you feel the noise is unusually loud, please always contact our Front desk Manager. If it is a issue with the unit itself, we will replace it immediately. Please contact me when reserving your next stay and reference this review as I would like to offer you a comp upgrade because of our elevator issue. We look forward to your return to us.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

First time in NYC (from Los Angeles) and I could not have made a better choice of lodging for my family and I. This is my first review of anything, but after our positive experience I had to give a review. I was looking for a hotel away from the crazy tourist areas of midtown and the Hotel Newton is in a great neighborhood in the Upper West Side. We frequented the local restaurants, cafes and diners in the area and were very pleased with the quality and price. Central Park is a 10-15 minute walk and the 1-2-3 subway station is directly across the street. Just a great area.

The hotel front desk were friendly, helpful, provided some good 'insider tips' and made certain to give us some insight on the subway system. We were allowed to check in at 11am, without issue, since the room was available. This was a pleasant surprise. They arranged a private car service for our very early morning flight out of JFK back to LAX - the driver was punctual (was actually waiting for us) and the flat rate charged was reasonable. Thanks Justin for arranging this!

The hotel is a bit outdated, I knew this when I booked the room (I was not expecting luxury), but it is well kept and it was above all else, comfortable. We stayed in a Deluxe Junior Suite on the 6th floor and I was surprised at how big the room was - 2 queen beds, a dresser, a desk and night stand in the bedroom and 3 chairs, a small table and wet bar with mini fridge (which came in handy) in the parlor with more than enough room to move around. (We had 4 suitcases and they all fit in the closet) My wife and I and our 2 kids were very comfortable in the room. The bathroom was adequate size. The beds were very comfortable - we slept like babies. We heard no street noise from our room. The AC window unit was quiet, not silent, but quiet enough which allowed us to sleep through the night in a cool room.

The one elevator in the hotel is slow, but who cares! We just took the stairs down from the 6th floor the times we did not want to wait. The hotel has no pool, gym or restaurant, but we did not travel to NYC to waste time in a pool or gym and there are so many places to eat in the area around the hotel. So these minor issues were non-issues for us.

Overall a great hotel, without a lot of frills and amenities, but a comfortable, unpretentious place where you can get a good nights rest.

We plan on returning to NYC in the future and we will definitely be staying at the Hotel Newton.

Stayed June 2014
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your review of our property! We look forward to your next stay with us!

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Good: Wonderful location right next to the 96th street subway. I love the convenience of the subway and having the 1-2-3 train right outside your door is great for getting around Manhattan. I also love the upper west side, so the Hotel Newton is an affordable option for staying there.

The rooms are typical NYC small, yet they are clean and well kept. They do have air conditioning, but you might have to ask for it. I believe the window units are removed for winter and reinstalled when it warms up. Our first night was really warm and they installed a unit in the second night.

The not so good: We booked our Queen Suite months in advance on the hotel's web site. Having an entertaining area was very important to us, as we were visiting our son. We arrived mid afternoon and they, without mention, placed us in a tiny standard room. The staff said the hotel was over-booked, so we had to endure two nights in a very tiny room that had no air conditioning and was located right next to some very loud machinery. Hot and loud does not make for restful nights.

We were finally moved to a double room on the ninth floor, overlooking Broadway, with air conditioning. While it wasn't the Queen Suite we reserved, it was a nice, comfortable room.

Advice: Make sure you get what you paid for. I'm not sure if over-booking is their common practice, so I would call just prior to arrival to confirm you are coming.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for your review of our property and I am happy that all worked out in the end. We are not a property that overbooks however every hotel has instances with reservations mishaps. I agree that it is a great idea to confirm your reservation before coming in. Let me personally apologize for the mishap and it seems like you were upgrade to our Deluxe Queen after the 2 days. However, that does not make up for the 2 days that you stayed in a room that you did not reserve. Please contact me the next time you are travelling to the city and I will make sure that your reservations are handled correctly. I thank you for your patience with the matter and also for pointing out the positive aspects of the stay.

palm desert ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I know this review won't do much good, After all, there are several Trip Advisor stickers next to the narrow front entrance, but I will plunge ahead for whatever it's worth. I've never paid so much for a room, and it was crummy, but I wanted to be near Columbia.
Here's the list: the room was tiny; there was not one inch of drawer space; the mattresses creaked; the air conditioner was needed on 60-70 degree days, and it was noisy; the fan went on with the bathroom light; the room key lost its magenetism

Room Tip: Ask for a dresser and your own toilet
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
I thank you for reviewing our property and let me correct a statement. Our customer reviews mean the world to us! We use Trip Advisor in an effort to perfect the guest experience. We understand that Trip Advisor can be subjective however we trust that our prospective guests have the same understanding. We have a room category, the Standard Single which runs below all room types as it is a very small room. We have the actual picture of the room on our website and on any website that sells this room so that there is no confusion. We don't put pictures of showrooms on our website as it gives a false impression of what our guests will receive. If our guest ever had an issue with the bed creaking, we would hope that you would let our front desk know right away as we can rectify the situation immediately and if we cannot, we will move you. Your experience in our property should be a comfortable one and creaky beds would not be comfortable. The light and fan switch is the same for the restroom and I don't quite know what we could do about that but I don't see it as an issue. Regarding room keys, all magnetic keys sometimes lose magnetism because of metal detectors in stores etc. We always tell our guests if they find themselves on the floor with the key not working, please use a house phone on every floor and we will send someone to get you. I hope this was useful and hope you give the Hotel Newton a second chance. In the future, please try our Superior or Deluxe brand of room as they are much larger. I wish you well in your future travels

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights last week.

I found it very nice for the price we paid ( around half the price of the hotels in Mid town).

The double room on the 8th floor was small but perfectly formed. It had a microwave and a fridge.
Considering the proximity to a major up town link like Broadway our room was really quiet.

Just a small caveat... when booking your room make sure you require your facilities en-suite as some rooms have to share a bathroom.

The hotel is quite close to Central Park , around a 5-7 minutes walk.

The tour bus stop (GRAY LINE) is outside the hotel and is fantastic value for money, there is also subway station (96th St.) just outside the hotel which will whisk you to Mid or Down town quite quickly. So it is very convenient for everything.
As far as eating is concerned there are loads of places within a short walk, I found the Manhattan Grille just two doors away on the left ,or the Corner Cafe (Good breakfasts here) a 50 yard walk to the right ( it is a pity the this one serves its meals on Polystyrene plates with plastic knives and forks) but they were both very adequate.

The A/C unit was a window-mounted one and as a consequence was a bit noisy but it was so efficient you could turn it off after 30 minutes.
The staff were very attentive and helpfull and freely offered good advice when required.
Overall a very good experience in a city that can be so indifferent to you it borders on rudeness.
If I were ever to travel to NYC again I would not hesitate to book The Hotel Newton.

Room Tip: A room on a high floor at the back of the hotel if you like it quiet. Make sure you book an en-suite...
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for your review and helpful and useful tips for our prospective guests. We look forward to your returning to us soon

Director of Revenue and Reservations
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Booked a queen room on the 5th floor, 508. The room was really nice with a walk in shower.
Room came with microwave, fridge, Tea and Coffee, all the usual stuff.
The vending and ice machines are located on the second floor, and the drinks are cheaper there than at the store next door.

The front of house staff were ok at best. I may have got them on an off day, but they didnt really offer any advice for getting around the city. I understand that its not there job to explain the subway system of NYC, but a little more than "the subway is across the road" would have been nice.
Booking a shuttle through them was a little annoying too, but the new guy got there in the end, even if the time was wrong. But we made our flight....just.

Overall I would still recommend Hotel Newton. The location was very good, the room was comfortable and the doorman was really cool and super friendly.

Room Tip: 508 has a walk in shower, great if you are a bigger guy like myself.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. I want to personally apologize if you felt that the staff was not hospitable and friendly. I would like to correct several statements you made as there are errors!
1)There should never be a "off day" with our staff. Our guests deserve our staff to be friendly and hospitable EVERY DAY without an off day! Rest assured we will be addressing this immediately.
2)It is definitely our job to help you with directions, planning your day and making sure that your stay is a success and rewarding to you and your family.
I don't want any guest to go away from the Hotel Newton and not feel like they were at home while here. We strive to have the best in customer service as I feel this is what sets us apart from every other hotel in New York offering the same amenities.
I do hope that you consider the Hotel Newton in the future and rest assured you will see a difference

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Been to Hotel Newton? Share your experiences!