“Nice location, but wrong hotel for us” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Newton

You added Hotel Newton to your Saves list
Hotel Newton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2528 Broadway, Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #280 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Perth, Australia
“Nice location, but wrong hotel for us”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We booked the Superior Queen - 1 queen bed at this hotel for four nights in Sept 2013. If we had never been to NY before, this would have put us off ever going there again.

The hotel is in a good location, with a subway link right outside. The location is easy walking to both the riverside and Central park, the room itself has a decent size fridge and a microwave which we were grateful for, but that is as far as the good comments can go.

The room was very small with a small window that overlooks what I can best describe as a wet wall with other hotel windows and little natural light from above (We had been placed on the 3rd floor after asking for an upper floor). I suspect that the Superior room is actually the smallest room that they have.

I have attached photos of the room and bathroom (And the fridge and microwave, so you can see that they are a useful size). If you take note of the hotel room window and its view. We found that the darkness of the room (Given that you do not get natural light in) made us feel like we were in a state of night time at any time.

The bathroom is very cosy, with the sink, toilet and bathtub sharing a very small enclosure (Rather than saying room).

First hotel we have ever stayed at that has no safe at all in the room. WiFi is $5 to use (Pay daily at front desk, with a new password each time), and access runs out at 12 each day. The WiFi speed on the 3rd floor was very slow for us (Sending any photos to family back in Aus), compared with all other hotels and Starbucks we had been using.

The air con unit is sat in the window. And, If you close the curtains for the window it traps the air-con inside the space between the curtain and the glass, so the air con will not circulate in your room (You need to leave the curtains open, thought this is not a huge issue as you get very little natural light in from outside anyway). The air con unit is very noisy, and in our room the direction levers on the fan outlet were broken, so we could not direct the cool air to where we wanted it (So it mainly aims at the head of the bed with the chilled air).

The staff on the front desk had little time for questions, but it may just be that they are understaffed for their workload.

To top off our stay, this is only the second hotel that we have stayed at anywhere in the world that would not call us a taxi of our choosing on the day we booked out. We asked for a NYC cab, they said that they do not deal with them, and have a company that they deal with that will do the trip from Broadway to our airport (Newark) for a $65 flat fee. They also said that this cab company uses limo style vehicles and you get to Newark at the same cost as NYC cabs but in comfort. We were taken to Newark airport and the fare when he worked it out was $105 (Flat fee? I don't think so). When questioned on this, the driver said that Newton staff always get their prices wrong. Plus take cash as they charge an extra $10 for using MasterCard.

Newton is certainly not keen on getting people to come back again. Hopefully our warnings will save others from booking this place as we did. Though there are the good points of location to Central park, the subway and having a decent fridge and microwave to consider.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Castlemaine, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Recently stayed here for 3 nights, the best price was booked directly through the hotels website. Had our own ensuite and nicely sized room, WiFi available for $4.95 a day. Nice café downstairs open long hours, food well priced and tasty. Major subway station across the street. The hotel is in a great area, its on Broadway and only 5 mins from Times Square by a quick subway train. We found this area much nicer to stay at than Times Square, which can get very chaotic. Easy nice stroll to Central Park from here, more of a neighbourhood type feel. We would stay here again.

Tbilisi, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Please don't make the same mistake i did and go to this 2.2 star hotel. I use to live on the Upper West Side, W75th Street, a little over 15 years ago. There were two old hotels on the UWS then, that catered to SRO occupants. The Belle Claire was home to many artists and writers and dancers, who did not have high incomes. They could only afford the Belle Claire, or move to Brooklyn. Then there was the Hotel Newton, the building at that location then was a cold depressing SRO that housed many drug addicts and drifters. For some reason Trip Advisor and other hotel booking agencies do not bring up easily the hotels under $150 a day in NYC that are pretty good, and Hotel Newton kept popping up as if it were the only quality budget hotel in the entire city.

I was in a hurry and trying to book a hotel for myself on a bus from Washington DC to NYC that had wifi, and the connection was breaking as i approached Manhattan with no hotel room yet. One thing led to another, and i was electronically shepherded to Hotel Newton, and at the time of paying online i could not remember it was a former SRO beneath the Columbia University outer fringes, in a former dead zone. My mistake.

This area has been cleaned up a bit since 1996 up but it is super dead and unappealing still today. It shines but the kind of shine as in Payless Shoes and Wendy's.

I paid $165 and with city taxes it was $199, for one night, and it was not worth it. The staff was surly and taciturn, and the walk to the shared toilet, made me feel like a hooker having to wait to pee in the hall, long ago, one toilet for every ten rooms, in the good ole days of this building. The plumbing seems unchanged since decades ago in this entire 'upscale renovated' hotel.

I will admit, the sheets were clean and the little towels were fresh in the TV desk drawer, usually used to hold a Bible and not your towels and toiletries you have to walk the long walk to the toilet, past door after door like in an army barracks. Some fake fancy toiletries like brand name shampoos and soaps in classy hotels, were in the drawer, but really it was faked cosmetic culture, like knock off Rolex watches sold out of the back of a truck.

I never paid $200 in my life for such nothingness. But at least it was clean and no hookers or thieves were lingering around, and no shouting also, but i did not sleep well, nonetheless, for I could not adjust the air conditioner manually the entire night and morning.

The next day I checked out and found a new and better room down on W77th near Broadway, indisputably a great neighborhood, for $129, with 5-star service and personnel and stellar architecture and voluptuous interior design, and my own sumptuous private bath.

So when you book a room in NYC, be careful how you use the intermediary agency booking agencies on the internet. They are not always trustworthy guides any longer, despite customers online comments that praise the hotels.

I guess all the super high prices in NYC hotels and hostels are party due to Dubai investors, other long distance owners, foreign speculators, etc. Who really knows?? ... but it really hurts to pay out of the nose in New York City for crummy product, and I could remember with tears my friends in Paris or Barcelona who get a room easily for much cheaper than in NYC at 10x the satisfaction value. I've done it myself on occasion.

But not all is rotten in the Big Apple reality game show experience of finding a room which does not seem like an overpriced rip off! If you are tipped off by a friend or a local who knows where to recommend their out-of-town guests, when his/her house is full, and actually, sometimes a few of the booking online agency intermediaries are in fact helpful, you can get lucky and feel you weren't laughed at as they fleeced your pockets in a mean and stingy managed hotel.

There is very little to do or see near Hotel Newton, and at night NOTHING! But, one rewarding venue nearby. The Dive Bar, is over on Amsterdam Avenue and 96th St., with a large selection of microbrewery beers and foreign draft beers, and very good food, especially the mussels, fresh, and served long after midnight. About the only other place open nearby after 9pm, is a non-descript diner, and a McDonald's.

If you can cut a deal with the management before making reservations, for only $60 a night, it might be worth it, but not if they add more city taxes to this price. then skip it and go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
tampa bay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I'm surprised at the positive reviews for this hotel. The location is near Central Park, metro is across the street, but a long way from airports, midtown, and major attractions. Everything about our rooms needed updating. Beds were uncomfortable, bedding was old and worn. As other reviewers have noted, the air conditioner was extremely noisy and led to an uncomfortable, sleepless night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a three night city trip. The hotel is perfect for this. Good price, good area (Midtown). Several nice places to have breakfast are around.
The room was really small and not new, but the most important: clean.
Service is friendly and helpful.
Wifi not free.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I needed to be on the Upper West Side of Manhattan about 2 weeks ago. New York hotels have reached the stratosphere in terms of cost. The Hotel Newton is probably as well as you can do in terms of price without staying in a hostel or "dive." It was conveniently situated about 5 very short blocks from where I needed to be.

I got there a little early, but my room was ready so I was able to go straight to it. I had a superior double bedded room with a private bath (a shared bath would have been cheaper) with air conditioning, a microwave and fridge. There was a nice dresser with drawers. The furniture took up most of the floor space in the room, and the corridor between the furnishing portion and the door to the room also took up a chunk of the square footage, off of which were the bathroom and the closet, so the room can't be described as spacious. As the old joke goes, "the room was so small I had to step outside to change my mind" but I was one person and didn't need need much floor space. I'd recommend that two or more people get a larger room, but for me it was find.

The bathroom was immaculate and beautifully tiled. The thoughtful amenities left nothing to be desired, and included a shower cap (which many hotels that are more expensive don't include these days). In my room there was a step to the bathroom that was about 4 or 5 inches high that I tripped over twice before getting the bright idea of putting one of the trash baskets to one side in front of the bathroom door to remind me about the step.

Some friends of mine also stayed at the hotel as well--a couple and their two teenage daughters--in a roomier suite with 2 queen beds in the bedroom. They had a dining room table in addition to the refrigerator and microwave. They were quite surprised by how nice the room was, as well as its convenience to where we all needed to be. (Their bathroom did not have a step.)

The staff of the hotel was very friendly and helpful. There is a doorman on duty. When I checked out on my last day the doorman on duty, Eduardo, not only checked my suitcase but put the food I had for my flight in the fridge to keep it from spoiling while I went off to a museum for my last few hours in Manhattan, using the crosstown bus from 96th street to transit Central Park and get to Museum Mile. When I came back, I picked up my luggage, got on the M104 bus to 106th and Broadway, then transferred to the first stop of the M60 bus that took me all the way to LaGuardia Airport. I didn't get to use the subway because my time in NY was so short, but the Hotel Newton, as others have pointed out, is right near the 96th Street subway station.

The room didn't have WiFi but once or twice I was able to connect through the WiFi of another nearby hotel. More reliable was the nearby Starbucks Wi-Fi-- one across the street on Broadway and another one about 2 blocks south on the same side of the street, where I could access my ATT hotspot. There was a charge for use of the computers in the lobby, so I printed out my boarding pass when I got to the airport. If I could make one recommendation to the owner, it would be to offer free WiFi.

I'd have no hesitations about staying at the Hotel Newton again the next time I am in NY, or recommending it to others.

Room Tip: I liked being on the second floor because I could get downstairs quickly and easily without waiting...