“Clean but didn't sleep a wink” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Newton

You added Hotel Newton to your Saves list
Hotel Newton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2528 Broadway, Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #283 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Clean but didn't sleep a wink”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is in a great location next to the 96th subway for zipping up and down the west side of Manhattan. There was no meaningful view and the A/C was too loud but the price was right and the people friendly. They allow restaurants to deliver right to the room - not a plus for me, but for me night it was fine. My superior double queen suite was quite large with a little sitting room and two tvs. It was clean and the staff friendly.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Turkish first
Amherst, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel is a great location. Close to transportation, restaurants, shopping. The staff is friendly and always willing to help. The room was OK. On the first night we kept hearing some strange noises. I turn the lights on and see a mouse in the room running accross the dresser. We were given another room immediately but I was always looking for the unwanted visitor. I would have moved to another hotel but my husband and daughter convinced me to stay. Don't think we will staying here again.

t

Room Tip: Didn't get a good room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I thank you for your review of our property. I am so sorry about the events during your last stay. However i am pleased that the front desk was able to move you immediately. I know that an explanation does not make a difference but suffice to say, we owe you one! I am not sure if you were given as I haven't spoke to you but we have a building under construction next to us and they are ripping floors apart. In anticipation of this, before it began, we commissioned our fumigation company to come in and make sure that we would have no issues. They have done an excellent job with keeping the situation under tight control however, we have seen an instance or two and we have taken care of the situations immediately. I would ask you to consider our property again and contact me directly as I would like to offer you a preferred rate and breakfast on me! If not, we wish you well in your future travels.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was always a hidden gem on the Upper West Side steps from Central Park, restaurants, transportation and shopping. We started staying there when we rented out our apartment years ago and had to come back to the city periodically. It was not renovated as it is now, but it was still safe, clean, wonderful concierge, restaurant next door providing room service, and very inexpensive ( we are talking late 1990s early 2000's. )

Then the Hotel Newton was completely renovated. There are huge suite size rooms, actual suites with fridge and I believe micro, very nice furnishings, a small not very fancy lobby but oh, still a gem!

They are frequently very booked. They became so popular that the prices went up considerably, fluctuating by season, but for NYC, Manhattan, the trendy Upper West Side, with a mix of chic residential on Central Park West, townhouses on the side streets, shops and restaurants galore, can't be beat.
My family stays there whenever they come into the city and just love it!

This is a small boutique hotel. It's not big on glitz. There is no razzle dazzle. But you will get a very nice clean room and great service.

Don't expect motel prices from Interstate exits, this is Manhattan, but you get wonderful value, great neighborhood and convenience. If you can get a room, stay here! You won't be be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2011
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights in July with my partner. We booked the hotel late, but I still felt that $200/night for a 3 star hotel was expensive, especially since the hotel was out of times square.

When we arrived however, we had an experience that didn't seem 3 star. The hotel had a doorman, a welcoming lobby and wonderful concierge staff. There were a few we dealt with that were excellent, however unfortunately, the only name I remember is Charles. He was very personable and gave us an upgrade from a superior double room on arrival.

The rooms were nice, although I would say they were a little bit small, which made it difficult to fit two suitcases. I hate to think how small the superior double room would have been. But the room was very clean, as was the bathroom. It had a mini fridge which was useful, and had an air conditioner, which we did NOT find to be noisy.

Another bonus is the location. The hotel is in a decent neighbourhood and is near restaurants, a 24 hour chemist, a Starbucks and a bank. It is also right next to 96th street subway. This was brilliant as it saved us catching cabs everywhere, and was only about 10 minutes to get to times square. The staff were really helpful with directions, and what subway to catch. And they gave us a late checkout.

I only really had two issues with my stay:

1. Do not go to the restaurant next door (I think it is called Longrain Thai) unless you are willing to tip big. We were yelled at for giving a 10% tip, and I have heard other tourists who have left no tip have been physically grabbed by the staff.
2. Think twice before catching the hotels car service to the airport on checkout. We were told the car service was $60 including tolls and tip, and a taxi would cost $50. Turns out the car service was $60, not including a $6.50 toll and not including tip. I think a taxi would have been a lot cheaper.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at The Newton at the end of July for 4 nights. Our only gripe would be the air conditioning, which was very noisy. Not that it caused a problem because it kept the room cool during the day we and turned it off at night. It wasn't too hot and because it was quiet we still got a good nights sleep each night.

The room was small but was very clean and had everything we needed. The bed was comfortable. The coffee maker was great and made a very good cup of coffee for first thing in the morning. The bathroom was clean and well equipped.

There is no restaurant but the Manhattan Diner a couple of doors away was perfect for breakfast and for evening meals.

Central Park is within walking distance and the subway station almost directly outside gets you to Times Square, so long as you catch a number 2 or 3, in 2 stops.

The staff were great always cheerful and very helpful. Many thanks to them.

We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Director of reservations and Revenue
Bombay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel is far away from the center of Manhattan but the subway is very close. The staff is very helpful. The room was nice but the airconditioning needs updating. They have old window airconditioners which sound like a lawnmower.

Room Tip: Ask for the superior rooms when booking.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for your recent review and let me apologize if our A/C units were at all uncomfortable for you. All units are brand new and if you ever have an issue while staying with us, please feel free to contact our desk right away and if we can't fix it, we will replace it immediately. Your comfort is paramount to us.

Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

After a long trip from Australia, it was wonderful to have such a warm greeting when we checked in. Thank you!! We were lucky enough to stay in the Newton for 10 days in a junior suite which was roomy, comfortable and clean( These things for me and my family are important when travelling)As this was our second stay in this hotel, you would think that there would be some glitches. Err no. Everyday our room was cleaned by wonderful, professional staff, the desk staff (Landry, Jan and co) were happy and talkative-not just to us i noticed but to all and the doorman was always polite and helpful.
Yes, Mr Morales, you have exceptional, hard working staff and they have our praise and thankyous.
As for the hotel itself, it is tucked far enough away from the touristy trappings of Times Square et al, yet close enough to the subway and Downtown. The local nieghbourhood is full of free wifi via hotspots and Starbucks (if you dont want to pay at the hotel), local street vendors for fresh fruit, Europan( a deli/diner across the road), ice cream shop, pet shop and movie theatre (think rainy day)etc that you feel a part of the Upper west side community. We walked easily to Central Park where we did the things we missed out last time (Bethesda fountain, John Lennon/Imagine and came upon a great giant bubble maker man).Getting around is easy with the convenience of the 96th st subway, which took us safely to our destinations. I have an 11 year old who never felt scared travelling beyond 9 pm on the subway with us as security seems paramount in this amazing city
But back to the Newton- if you want to be in the mix of things, with flash as movie star up to the minute appointments-then choose elsewhere. if you would like to stay away from tourist crowds, where you can really "feel' the genuine hospitality of staff, where time is self paced(you don't care if the elevator is "too slow") you appreciate clean rooms and great beds then this, my friend IS IT!!

Room Tip: if staying for more than a week, the junior suite is well worth it. The extra space makes a big diff...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for that solid gold review!!! We expect every stay to be better than the last and we are happy that we didn't disappoint you! we hope to have many more with you

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Been to Hotel Newton? Share your experiences!