“Perfect Location and Accommodation for a long term stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn the City

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Country Inn the City
You added Country Inn the City to your Saves list
270 West 77th Street, Broadway and West End Ave., New York City, NY 10024 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #18 of 95 New York City B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect Location and Accommodation for a long term stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

As a woman on my own my main concern was feeling safe in the surrounding area and in the place I stayed. Country Inn the City feels like a family house but you have your own studio apartment inside. It's wonderfully quiet there and my view looked onto a peaceful garden but when I stepped out and walked a few yards down the street I was in the hustle and bustle of Manhattan.

If you are looking for luxury and somewhere like a five star than this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for somewhere that can feel like home for a while then I couldn't recommend it more. If I have any more long term stays I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed here for just over a month over June/July. A friend also stayed in a different suite so I got to look at a couple of different rooms. On arrival Rob met me, helped with luggage and showed me the room (even though I had been delayed in getting there), and was helpful throughout the stay. The Inn offers a large spacious room (very nicely decorated), in a secure, safe building in a fantastic location just off Broadway. There is many options for shopping/dining close by, and the subway is a couple of blocks away. The Inn only offers accommodation for 30 days or more, but if you are in New York for a longer stay then you can't go wrong staying here. It really feels like home rather than a hotel. It offers great value considering all the small touches which are included (free wifi, cleaning twice per week, breakfast items on arrival, magazines and time out guides provided and a small kitchen). Highly recommended, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Terrace suite, which is on the top floor. Take this into consideration when booking...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
FOBNewYorkCity, Owner at Country Inn the City, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting this lovely review. We are happy to have pleased you on all the levels that we seek to satisfy our guests. Please feel free to contact me via email if you have any further comments or questions.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is the place to stay if you're looking for an extended stay and what location and comfort all in the same place! We stayed for a month and absolutely loved our stay! The warm welcome we received upon arrival made us feel immediately at home! The apartment is a great size with a kitchen, wifi, air conditioning, and cable. The bed is very comfortable, in addition to a pull out bed that you can use if needed. And to top all this off, they provide a cleaning service for you twice a week! It really doesn't get better than this. Well, it does, because the location of this apartment is FANTASTIC. In the center of Upper West Side with everything you would possibly need from restaurants, supermarkets, laundry facilities, shopping, etc. and the subway is just two blocks away! So, we will definitely be back to stay when we are in New York again for an extended stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FOBNewYorkCity, Owner at Country Inn the City, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We were very happy to get this glowing review and so happy to have satisfied you on all these levels as we make the difficult transition into a monthly stay property. The neighborhood too is indeed a godsend for those who need everything at their fingertips -- a little off the beaten path yet completely central and convenient for all the city has to offer just as we claim in our website. A true neighborhood that rewards extended stay guests as opposed to the likes of Times Square. We hope to see you again in the future!

Many thx for taking the time to post!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was visiting New York for just over a month and wanted an alternative to impersonal extended-stay hotels or risky, unseen apartment sublets. And as a noise-phobic light sleeper, I needed something quiet as well as comfortable. Country Inn the City exceeded all expectations. My beautifully furnished studio in their architectural gem of a building faced the back, an oasis of calm in the bustling Upper West Side neighborhood. The studio was cleaned and sheets and towels changed weekly, with fresh towels again provided mid-week. Particularly important during a long stay, having a kitchen made meals easy whether I cooked or indulged in the many delicious take-out options close by. And I loved the attention to detail – thoughtfully chosen decorative accents, period molding, complimentary issues of “New York” and “Time Out New York” magazines. As a former longtime Upper West Side resident back for the first time, I had wondered about living there in an unfamiliar place. I needn’t have worried. From the moment I arrived, my studio felt like home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
FOBNewYorkCity, Owner at Country Inn the City, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. I was delighted to hear that we 'exceeded' your expectations and that your extended stay with us was pleasurable and trouble free. I hope that your review will serve to attract those who might otherwise not have taken a risk on us for an extended stay such as yours, that is now that we have to comply with the city's 30 day minimum stay rule.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

In a nutshell, staying here makes you feel like you live in NYC! West-side living! (For this reason the sleep quality is 3 out 5, gotta love NYC and its sirens and car horns!) :)

The rooms are like homes rather than hotel rooms and having the kitchen etc means you can pick things up from the nearby supermarkets / deli's / foot places nearby and enjoy it at home rather than eating out all the time.

The location is awesome, being just a few minutes walk from the red line of the subway and not too far at all from Central Park and the museum of natural history. The red line cuts right down through Manhattan all the way to the bottom (Statue of Liberty!) and connects to pretty much every other line so is ideal for a tourists needs.There are also loads of bars and restaurants nearby if you need them.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Big Nick's Burger and Pizza joint just around the corner. Don't let the name fool you, they serve pretty much everything! Great quality and value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FOBNewYorkCity, Owner at Country Inn the City, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are sorry to hear that you had sleeping issues, an odd thing for any of our guests as we pride ourselves on our relatively quiet location on a side street. Indeed given how active New York City is there is little any of us can do about it but we hope that you might consider that we are relatively speaking in a very quiet location, one of our assets in the scheme of the hustle and bustle of New York. Please don't hold it against us... lol
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I spent a month in New York this past January attending classes, and at first, I thought it would be a good idea to stay as close to the school as possible. I'm so happy I decided to stay here instead!

Although it might seem a bit far from where I was going to school (SoHo), you can't beat this location. The subway is just a couple of short blocks away, which is a 2 minute walk, and you can be in Times Square in 10~15 minutes. It's definitely worth it, because the great neighborhood thoroughly makes up for the distance. Central Park is right there, there is a wonderful market just around the corner, and so many restaurants, delis and food stores you won't be able to try them all.

The room I stayed in was great too (Apt 5). It had a wonderful bed, great windows with a view of the street, a TV with more channels than I'll ever be able to watch, fast internet, a couch, a wardrobe, and a fully equipped kitchen (large refrigerator, stove and sink, plus all the plates and appliances and stuff). The kitchen made all the difference, because I could cook and make myself breakfast or any other meals, which substantially cut down on my living costs (food in New York can be SO expensive!) The bathroom worked fine, and had an exhaust fan so everything dries quickly. The heating was good too, never too warm or too cold, despite the bellow-freezing temperatures outside.

When I checked in, the building manager, Rob, was already there to welcome me to the room. He helped me with my bags, explained how everything worked, and told me I should call him if I needed anything. He comes by about twice a week to change sheets and towels and take out the trash, too.

The only reason I wouldn't recommend this particular room is if you're an elderly person, because there is no elevator and it's two flights of stairs, plus the bed is very, very high. But I'm sure there are other rooms here that are just as nice and a little closer to the ground!

Lastly, the owner, Fergus, was very nice about everything. It's good to deal with a real person when making reservations, and he was very attentive, promptly answered all the questions I had, and was very flexible with my requests. He lives in the same building, so that made me confident that it was in great condition, and he provided me with a lot of great tips about the neighborhood any time we met in the hallway.

Overall, it was a great stay, and I would not only stay here again, but definitely recommend it to everyone. It's a perfect place for a longer stay, away from the hustle and bustle of the more touristy areas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
FOBNewYorkCity, Owner at Country Inn the City, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear guest,

It was our absolute pleasure to have you stay with us for this 35 day period over Jan into Feb. We are very happy that your class went well and that you chose us as home base for your stay. We look forward to next time and wanted to thank you for taking time to post this glowing review.

Many thanks...
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Country Inn the City offers the perfect base to explore everything New York has to offer. It is located on the beautiful and relatively peaceful Upper West Side and is ideal for longer stays. The Inn is private, comfortable and homely, and provides convenient access to Central Park and attractions such as The Metropolitan Opera. I stayed in suite 5 (Collegiate Suite) which was spacious and well appointed. The local area has plenty of restaurants, a well-stocked market (ideal for self-catering) and various other amenities including a laundry a couple of doors away. The 79th Street subway station (train line 1) is only a couple of minutes away and provides convenient access to midtown and downtown Manhattan, including the Broadway theatre district, Chelsea, and Greenwich Village. Times Square subway station is a short train ride away and provides easy access to all other subway lines. Fergus and Rob are very accommodating and will gladly share their tips and advice for exploring the local area and New York in general. I would happily recommend Country Inn the City to anyone who is seeking a more personal alternative to the larger hotels, especially first-time visitors and those planning a longer stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
FOBNewYorkCity, Owner at Country Inn the City, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

We were delighted to get this wonderful review and thank you for taking the time to post. If you have any suggestions please don't hesitate to contact me through the website.

Been to Country Inn the City? Share your experiences!