“watch out for the maids: they might be stealing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea Savoy Hotel

You added Chelsea Savoy Hotel to your Saves list
Chelsea Savoy Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   204 West 23rd Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #310 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“watch out for the maids: they might be stealing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights (9-12 November) and found that the quality of both the room and the service is over-rated, as compared to cheaper rates in other hotels. I paid $216 a night + tax for a room with a double bed, and my friend was staying in a similar room close to Union square for half that price. Next time, I'll stay at that hotel.
1) Staff is typically unfriendly, as other guests have noted on this forum. I am starting to believe that they are paid to be rough and unhelpful to customers.

2) More importantly, there may be a serious problem with honesty in this hotel.
2.1) I had book parcels sent to me, and I never got one of them, officially "never received", but the sender has shown me the USPS slip.
2.2) on the day I was leaving, I went down to eat breakfast at 8 am, by the time I was back up in the room, the maid had done the room and .. my face cream (an expensive fancy one from a famous luxurious French brand), was missing from my beauty case. Hmm, i'll give it a doubt, one never knows, but I am 80% convinced the maid stole the cream. I asked the front desk immediately, but they said the maid was ... out (?!) and I had to call back the next day. And of course the next day... the maid, called Marisa, or Marianna, I don't remember clearly, said she never found anything
2.3) it just so happens that as I went downstairs for the check out, another lady guest reported that her purse, with all credit cards etc. had gone missing from her room after the maid had come in.
THAT WAS A BIT MUCH !!!!!
I don't know the end to that story, but i suspect there is a problem with honesty in this hotel.

Keep you bucks and find yourself a beter place for that price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel has a split personality: Plus = The rooms were clean; the price (in late October) was reasonable; the housekeeping staff was pleasant; and the location was fine. Negative = The front-desk staff seemed oblivious to us, for five days. And small amenities that most travelers take for granted were nonexistent. Examples: (1.) The day before we left, we asked (twice) if they could run off a boarding pass, on one of their two computer-printers, sitting three foot away. We were told, by two different clerks, to go to FedEx, up the street, (2.) We asked the front desk, twice, if they had a newspaper we could just look at, for starting times for a play. We were told, twice, to go up the street and buy a paper. We can't really recommend this place ... unless you're desperate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Was here during Sandy. The situation was really crummy all over lower Manhattan. The staff worked tirelessly to make us as comfortable as they possibly could before the power came back on. Some of the staff even stayed at the hotel because they couldn't get home and get back in - traffic and public transportation were a nightmare. Would stay here again (and hopefully not have a hurricane). All around good value.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Chelsea Savoy has decent sized, clean rooms with a handy mini fridge in the room. The breakfast is simple with fresh bagles and coffee and the staff is friendly. Located on the corner of 7th and West 23rd, the hotel is close to the subway, great shopping and restaurants.
This hotel is not fancy, but neither is the price.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Spring Hill, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Booked a room during storm Sandy based on the staff stating that they power the hotel by use of generator when the power goes out. The only reason a room was booked was for the use of power. We have a handicapped family member that needs use of power for breathing treatments. Once the power went out and the generators were turned on we were then advised that the generators do not provide any power to the hotel rooms. This would be bad enough, as this was something we clarified specificaly previous to booking the hotel... but the elevators do not even run. This means that not only is there no power in the room for breathing treatments, but our disabled family member also cannot get off of the 4th floor. If the staff at this nightmare place would have been up front and just stated that they do have a generator, but it only operates the lobby and some limited emergency lights in the stairways (but no access for guests) then we would have NOT have booked at this hotel. We have stayed at this hotel before and dealt with the inconveniences of noisy elevators, key cards that dont work, remotes that dont work, refrigerators that do not work, dirty floors and staff that speaks very little English. We are not generally very picky as the location is great for our needs, but after this experience and the complete dishonesty of the staff of this establishment we will never stay at this hotel again and would recommend others looking elsewhere as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We booked the hotel via the internet. Arrived with car, but found the hotel could notmoffer parking as listed at the internet. We found parking in the local area. Check-in without any further delay. Found the rooms to be large with two double beds (not the expected queens size), but nice and clean rooms. Bathroom was clean and large. Internet available for 10 USD/day. Positively surpriced with breakfast included. Not a large selection, but a bagle and tea/coffee. That's OK. Possible to store luggage.

Location is good. Metro line red 1 around the corner.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Angelica, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

what a great location! one block in either direction to main subways. a good continental breakfast with genuine NY bagels...and more. The prices were moderate, and I felt safe and comfortable. The room was bigger than I expected, bed was great, and extra pillows. Included were iron and board, hair dryer, shampoo etc...and a mini fridge. flat screen tv with cable and HBO, although it was odd that the baseball playoffs were without any commentary...what's with that? finally, there was a radio alarm compatible with a Ipod...which I don't have. I will plan on staying here again...finally, it was a mere $4.00 cab drive, or a couple subway stops from Penn Station.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chelsea Savoy Hotel? Share your experiences!