“Terrible experience at the Carlton Arms” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Carlton Arms

and 1 more site!
You added Carlton Arms to your Saves list
Carlton Arms
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   160 East 25th Street, New York City, NY 10010 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #41 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
Bath, United Kingdom
“Terrible experience at the Carlton Arms”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I would encourage all travellors to avoid this hotel. It was worse than many hostels I have stayed in (and there have been many!). The staff were unfriendly, the rooms are painted in dark colourse (as per photo - this is quite disturbing in dark corridors and stairwells in addition to rooms), floors uneven, the bath in the toilet on our landing partially full of water a lot of the time as it did not drain, carpets barely there, and a radiator in the corridor literally spouted steam throughout one night. There was a lot of traffic noise from our room - we think as the air conditioning means that the windows can't be fully shut - although some noise is understandably inevitable in NYC. We also had an electricity blackout while we were staying - no one came to ask if we were alright or had all that we needed, or were visible as we passed through the hallway - their solution to this was to leave bare flamed night lights on wooden staircases. We feel lucky to have got out alive!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights and on arriving thought the place was cool. Reception staff were pleasant and the artistic decor was impressive. Didn't have particularly high expectations as it is a budget hotel and we were told from friendly reception guy that the room would not be serviced unless we requested fresh linen, towels etc. which was not a problem. However the bed linen got changed every day and we wondered why, as this was contrary to what we had been told. I can only presume that this was their way of covering up a problem rather than dealing with it as unfortunately by the end of our stay my girlfriend had a bad swollen rash on her arms. Upon visiting the doctor back home in the UK we were told they are bed bug bites. Worse still we now have some unwelcome house guests who managed to hitch a ride in our luggage and we are struggling to get rid of them. Through cleaning our own home and replacing our bedding we have most likely spent out what we initially saved on booking a cheaper hotel in the first place. Not to mention the upset and discomfort it has caused.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is the great replacement for the famed Chelsea Hotel as the main bohemian stopping point in NYC. The place is clean, the rooms cheap ($80 bucks for shared bath) and you'll never find anything like it anywhere else on the planet.

My only complaints were that the street noise at night was a bit much and that it was best to rise early and avoid a wait for the bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street, the view may not be great but it will be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here with a friend for one night who actually rented the room in his name. The service was good. There is no elevator and there are common washrooms down the hall. Our room didn't have a terribly good view but it did have a window air conditioner and a small sink which was quite convenient. Each room has interesting art that has been painted by a local artist. Washrooms were somewhat clean and you could get fresh towels at the front desk as required. There are many shops in the area if you need to get food or supplies. As long as you are not expecting a 3+, 4 or 5 star hotel you will be happy to save some money as the place is fairly good. Mostly clean but I was not expecting too much. The location is great as well. I would certainly stay there again given that this hotel is fairly reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

wowee what a place. desperate for a place to stay for the night i was tired and almost delusional when google maps directed me to what looked like a building out of alice in wonderland. As i approached late at night we rang the buzzer and were transported to this quirky hideaway in the centre of manhattan. Desperate for a room the friendly and accommodating manager there quickly found me a key and offered me a shared bathroom room for only 80 dollars! I entered my room and was overcome by the cool decor and air-conditioned rooms! with a comfy double bed and towels provided i was more than happy to stay there. As i curled into bed my gratitude was beaming. Late check out at 11.30 i would recommend this hotel to anyone with a budget in NYC (which lets face it is anyone) Thank you so much Carlton Arms!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

It was my second time staying at the Carlton Arms in 2 years. Good place to stay if you don't mind the hostel ambiance. Sure the place is old, the bathrooms are questionable, the rooms are pretty small and the beds are okay at most but the place is clean. For the price and the location of this hotel I will probably book there again the next time I go to NYC.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My teenage daughter and I visited New York for a long weekend last week. I was really keen to stay at this hotel ever since I read about it on here.

The location is fantastic. You’re ten minutes walk from the Empire State Building for example. The prices start from $80 a night for a room with shared bathroom for one person. We paid $130 a night for the two of us with an ensuite.

Some of the reviews made me a little worried that the place might be a bit loud and dodgy but this absolutely wasn't the case.

The hotel is surprisingly quiet for such a central location. We didn't hear anyoutside noise or other patrons in neighbouring rooms or moving around the corridors. It was better soundproofed than most other hotels I've stayed in. Although, I guess the incredibly loud air-conditioning unit acted as a white noise generator.

The artwork throughout the hotel is fantastic. We stayed in Room 11D which has a mural by Jean Michel Verret and Dominique Lagneaux covering the whole of the walls and ceiling. We were offered the choice of 2 rooms when we checked in – both on the top floor. I am pleased we booked an ensuite as we avoided having to wait our turn in the morning and needing to lug all our toiletries/clean clothes into the bathroom with us. Also, not sure if this was because we were getting up so early in the morning but we found that the shower took a LONG time to heat up. At least 10 minutes. I would have felt bad hanging around in a communal bathroom for that long.

Another reviewer referred to the Carlton Arms as the place "old furniture goes to die". The rooms all do seem to have a motley collection of rickety stools and tables usually painted to match the decor. I was a bit worried that the beds might be equally unstable and vintage. Not at all. Both double beds in our room were firm and really comfortable. I had uninterrupted night’s sleep throughout my trip. In addition, the air-conditioner and fan did a great job of keeping the room cool. We visited during a heat-wave and were totally comfortable throughout our stay.

I have given this place 5 stars despite any slight issues regarding the shower temperature etc because I loved the whole atmosphere and look of the place. If I visit New York again, I‘ll happily stay here. Hell, I’d happily live here. It has a fantastic vibe.

I did consider knocking a star off for cleanliness. On my return, the first question my mum asked about the hotel was “Was it clean?” To which the honest answer is “ish”. The floors were clean, the towels, sheets and random mismatching pillow cases had obviously been laundered. But there was a lot of dust. There are plenty of mouldings, nooks, crannies and multiple other places for dust to gather so it isn’t surprising. The thing is, I don’t usually notice such things and I still noticed it. Anyone with an attitude towards cleanliness that rates higher than “Not Quite a Total Slob” may not be entirely comfortable here.

On balance, I have decided this wasn’t worth losing a whole star for. I wasn’t bothered by dust collections in the corners and if I had been then a quick wipe round with a damp tissue would have sorted it right out.

If you are considering staying here then I recommend you read as many reviews – good and bad – as possible. It seems to me that the people who were disappointed with the Carlton Arms were expecting something else entirely. If Glastonbury Festival had a reasonably priced hotel in the centre of Manhattan, this would be it.

Finally, a shout out to Carlton Arm’s current cat, - Ophelia, an utterly beautiful grey and white former stray. She was either aloof or bitey the couple of times we met her but we worshipped her regardless. If I ran the Michelin Guide, I’d give establishments a star just for having a resident cat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Carlton Arms? Share your experiences!