“Funky little place in heart of the city!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carlton Arms

You added Carlton Arms to your Saves list
Carlton Arms
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   160 East 25th Street, New York City, NY 10010 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #41 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
Fountain Inn, South Carolina
“Funky little place in heart of the city!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We thought this place was great, and for the price and location it can't be beat. I was a little afraid of the shared bathroom when booking, but it really wasn't ever an issue. Bathrooms were clean and available when we needed them. The hotel is probably best suited for those who are a little free spirited, fun and young at heart. Definitely not for the Type A personalities. Beds were clean and again, location was great! We were just a few blocks from Madison Garden and the subway. My son (20) and I walked pretty much everywhere...Rockefeller plaza, Empire State Bldg, times square, etc.

When we arrived there were a few college kids hanging out in the lobby who were very friendly, offered us some doughnuts and chatted with us a bit when we arrived. We were given a choice of two rooms to choose from and chose 10C. A few less stairs to climb each day after walking the city. The hotel staff and cat are also very friendly.

I would stay here again, and have shared some of the pics I took with my hippie spirited friends who plan to stay when they visit. It isn't the holiday inn, but everything definitely isn't a boring shade of beige either! For a safe, no frills, great location that's easy on the budget, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I have stayed here numerous times over the last 15 years, and you just cant beat it for location and value. You need to pick your room carefully, (one time I got the suicide junkie room), but the management have always been happy to move me around. If you are expecting spotless or obsequiousness, dont bother, this place IS funky, a little run down, creative, original and most of all fun! I love it, and have always recommended it to my friends. I dont know if they still offer it, but they used to give a good discount for overseas visitors- worth asking.

Room Tip: I like so many of them- use the website to get an idea, then request it by number- they cant guarant...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Weymouth, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

In trying to plan a reasonably priced stay for one night my friends chose this place. We got two rooms here. I was horrified when I got there. The guy at the front desk is not nice. There is a cat wondering around. The "art" work is creepy and ridiculous. The stairs are steep and its not fun bringing your bags up to the fifth floor. One room was a dark room with pictures of nude transgender creatures on the whole wall. Huge murals. A nasty rug on the floor and a bathroom that is better left unused. The other room was just dingy with beds with covers on top that had been stained. The tub has a tube in it. The sink is not in the bathroom. Who would ever take a bath here? People lock their rooms with padlocks. Crazy. I didn't feel safe here and I really felt like bedbugs and cockroaches were going to get me if I fell asleep here. I'm still worried that somehow I have taken some sort of creatures home with me. Also, the windows are so thin that you might as well be outside because it sounds like you are. The window in the bathroom opened on its own with the wind because it is old and doesn't close right. We were confused that the bathroom was all wet, but it had rained and the window had opened. This place is creepy. I would say the room is not even worth the $150 we paid. You couldn't pay me to stay here ever again. I took the longest shower when I arrived home after my stay. It just feels like bad stuff has taken place here which it most definitely has according to the history of the place. This place is a horror movie waiting to happen.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Just want to stop by, saying I love this place. Central, affordable according to location, a fun experience!! The rooms are fantastic! MY mother (age 50) thought it was fun staying there, wit a bit shabby. I loved every minute! (age 22).
When we stayed there, the fire alarm when of, the hotel was evacuated, and by the time we were put of the rooms, firemen were already there! The hotel crew were helpful. A young and new yorkish-experience!

If you want to go to New York, go here!

Room Tip: Ask the reception, during low-season (What is it called?!), and you may be able to choose a room upo...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Nice place in the heart of Kips Bay. Easy access to other parts of the city and transit hubs. Rooms were nicely decorated and unique. Not a luxury destination, but it doesn't bill itself that way. Overall good value for nyc.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I love this place. Not for traveler used to luxury living. This is a great and interesting place to stay. Excellent location, friendly staff and very reasonable rates considering the location. I have recommended this place to my friends and will stay here whenever I go to New York, I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: If you're not prepared to climb too many stairs get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Cannot imagine where else you find the heart and soul of NYC..... although you dont get the service of Hilton or Holiday Inn, well, there is not a better hotel in the whole world.... and yeah, you might find a cat under your bed and it might have left something wet in the hallway - but who cares - it's a cat from Carlton Arms and it was there first ;-) can't wait to go back and live in this fab hotel. Miss you Carlton A..... Was there in 2004, 2006 & 2008

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Carlton Arms? Share your experiences!