“Best soft pretzels ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Redhead

The Redhead
349 E 13th St, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)
(212) 533-6212
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
“Best soft pretzels ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stopped by to try their soft pretzels and were not disappointed. The soft pretzels (2) and beer batter cheese spread literally melted in our mouths. The best pretzel ever! We'll definitely be back and bring others, thank you.

Visited April 2012

United States
“Charming lower east side spot with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We learned of this restaurant from a FoodNetwork show and we weren't disappointed! The fried chicken was delicious and the starters/ sides of soft pretzels, sauteed collared greens and macaroni and cheese were favorites in our family. The service was just right and very friendly. We will be back!

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Decent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Went here on the advice of our son who saw this on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. Was a bit overpriced but the food was just fine. I had the short ribs and they were really great. My husband had the shrimp and they were okay. He found the mix of shrimp and sausage a bit weird.. My daughter had the hamburger which was a bit underdone and there was some gross floaty stuff in her iced tea that was really disgusting.... They did replace it, but it kind of turned us all off.

Visited February 2012
Houston, Texas
“Beyond expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I am surprised by the other reviews posted here. Based on the TV show our expectations were high and The Redhead far exceeded our expectations. Everything that our party of 5 ate was outstanding. That included the pretzel and cheese dip and the bacon peanut brittle as appetizers as well as the shrimp and grits, trout almondine, fried chicken and spare rib pot roast entrees. And a side of macaroni and cheese. Desert was also incredible. Service was excellent. Our long weekend also included dinners at Quality Meats and Trattoria Trecolori. They were great, but the Redhead was the best of the weekend!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Just okay for me.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I learned about this place after watching an episode of the Food Network's "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives." Well let me start this review off by asking a question: Have you ever seen Guy Fieri dislike any dish on the show or say that a dish didn't taste all that great? If you are like me that answer is absolutely not! The man says that everything taste great! After seeing an episode that featured The Redhead, I added the restaurant to my list of "must eats" while in New York City. The place was packed. That was definitely as great sign. It was a small restaurant with a nice NYC feel to it. I ordered the fried chicken which came with a pretty good salad and my friend had the shrimp and grits. Although the presentation was amazing, I am going to say the food tasted pretty average for me. I was not crazy about it and neither was my friend. Don't get me wrong, it was not bad, but definitely nothing to write home about. After tasting it, that's when it occurred to me that Guy Fieri does not dislike any of the dishes on the show. I'm a "foodie" so shrimp and grits is one dish that I have had in Charleston, SC and in New Orleans. If this sample were sold in either place, it would not do well. I guess because it was New York it scores well. I'm not saying that New Yorkers don't know good food, but let's just say that shrimp and grits isn't exactly their specialty. I would have to say the fried chicken was just okay as well. The salad that it came with was awesome! I would not return, and would not recommend it as a "must have", but it's definitely worth keeping around for the locals. The atmosphere is great and the cookie that they give you with you check is probably the best gingerbread cookie I've ever eaten!

• Visited January 2012