“I have never ever asked for autographs before!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago the Musical

Chicago the Musical
Ambassador Theatre, 219 W. 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)
212-239-6200
Website
Improve this listing
Visit Chicago the Musical like an insider
$127*
and up
More attraction details
Owner description: Come on, babe! If you’re looking for razzle-dazzle entertainment? If you’re looking for a night out at the theater you’ll remember for years to come? If you’re looking for pure Broadway? Then look no further than Chicago! A true New York City institution, Chicago has everything that makes Broadway great: a universal tale of fame, fortune and all that jazz; one show-stopping-song after another; and the most astonishing dancing you’ve ever seen.
Singapore
5 attraction reviews
“I have never ever asked for autographs before!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

But I got autographs from Nicole Bridgewater (Liz) and Paul C. Vogt (Amos). I was waiting for the rest of my party to arrive from their various Broadway musicals. Suddenly there was a stirring in the crowd and there they were up close and personal. Nicole and Paul were fantastic and totally believable in their respective roles. The rest of the cast in Chicago were incredible, too and the music got our feet tapping.
If you can afford to do go for the balcony seats. We stood in line like everyone around us and paid half price at the tkts. However we were disappointed to have to sit at the extreme end of our row. I was later told by the rest of my party that they were offered some kind of vouchers where they shelled a bit more for some extremely good balcony seats right in the centre where they had a good view of all the action and drama.
I know what I would have gone for if I were given the option!

• Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
“Good performance, but wish I'd seen a bigger production show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My mum and I went to see Chicago on our visit in May. We had excellent seats, 2nd row from the front. I was impressed with the included booklet about the show - not the official one, but if you didnt want to purchase one, a nice souvenir. I was very surprised at how small the theatre was to be honest - far smaller than London theatres. Although I have been to New York a few times, this was my first Broadway Show. I enjoyed it, and knew I would as I love the film. However, I didnt realise what a 'small production' it would be. No costume changes, very simple. Not necessarily bad, but I think next time I will see something with more of a wow factor. I must say though, that sitting so close to the stage, I could see the performers very clearly - and I am amazed that many are so fit (not all spring chickens).
All in all glad I went - but think I preferred Million Dollar Quartet (in Chicago).

Visited May 2014
Cork, Ireland
75 attraction reviews
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Sorry to say that we were a bit disappointed with this. Have been to a few shows in the West End, and thought that the quality on Broadway would be the same if not better. I really wanted to like it, especially as our tickets were far from cheap. But the performers didn't seem that in to it themselves, and the leading lady was actually irritating. The whole show was really lacking something. Passed an evening away, but sad to say we actually fought to stay awake near the end.

London, UK
105 attraction reviews
“A Great Character-Orientated Show BUT Potential Issues with the View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This was the first of 3 different Broadway musicals that I went to on consecutive days whilst on holiday in New York (Chicago/Les Mis/Phantom, I will review all 3 on TA). I had a good seat, enjoyed the show a lot and especially liked the novel staging arrangement and emphasis on performer characterisations. This is a popular/well known show so I'm not going to bother much describing it !

After being to all 3 I can now say that there is an issue with seating at this theatre when compared to the other theatres. I'm 6'+ tall, so it wasn't as much of a factor as it could be for others, BUT you need to be aware that the 'Orchestra' seating section (equivalent to 'Stalls' in UK theatres I think) is not sloped very much, so there is a good chance that you will have the based of the stage 'blocked-out' from view by the heads of those in front.

You will see the action but, depending on your height/those in front of you, you need to be prepared to not have a constant view of the performers feet for example ! The pros/cons of this are that (like the other theatres I went to) whilst an unobstructed view is virtually guaranteed if you are seated in the 'Mezzanine' (ie upper) section, you are looking DOWN on the stage - which I don't think is at all satisfactory in any respect. That's probably the reason why ALL the orchestra section seat prices are the highest on offer....

I bought my ticket from the discount TKTS Seaport outlet with 50% discount = $75.50 (incl all fees) for seat 1/row O, left orchestra section. Even being almost at the rear of the section (16 rows back) the view was fine (remember I'm quite tall !) and I did not feel that I was too far away from the stage. The real benefit was being level with the stage courtesy of an orchestra section seat....

What immediately impressed me about this show was the novel staging. It's set-up for the ultimate musical experience, as the (quite small) orchestra is sited ON the stage, in a sloping/forward-facing 'bandstand' behind the performers 'strip' at the front of the stage. There is no set to speak of really and the performers are confined to that strip of stage, which is probably only about 10' deep, although they do utilize access-points/sites to the side and within the bandstand to expand the action area and use props....

This staging makes the performance experience quite intimate and means the cast characterisations are more prominent, but most significantly it means that the music is delivered to you front-on (rather than upwards/by speakers if the orchestra is in the more traditional 'pit' location). As a result, the one (small) downside to this is that the performers voices have to be delivered to you more via microphone/speaker...

The only specific observation I have about the performance was that I felt that the lead actor/singer who played 'Roxie Hart' (Bianca Marroquin) had a very 'soft' (ie quiet !) voice, even when amplified; whilst she had a good tonal-quality to her singing voice, I often couldn't understand all the words of what she said/sang. This was made glaringly obvious when I compare her to the performer Amra-Faye Wright, who plays the almost equal-billing character 'Velma Kelly' - her performance was top-notch in ALL respects.

So, a marvellous show with a terrific music-orientated staging. At this theatre, for the reasons mentioned, in my opinion you need to try and get a seat which is not only in the orchestra section BUT also as close to the stage as possible...

Chicago, Illinois
20 attraction reviews
“WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Well, to be honest, we knew very little about the show and we are FROM Chicago area...sooo glad we came. The theater was cozy and actually had some leg room in our orchestra seats! Glad we paid extra to be up close. A stunning show. Staff - ushers, bar staff - were all very helpful, and all that Jazz....A must see. Bravo!