“Yum Yum is yummy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yum Yum 3

Yum Yum 3
658 9th Avenue, Corner of 46th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)
(212) 956-9415
Niagara Falls
“Yum Yum is yummy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Prix Fix meals could not be beat. Fantastic Tamarind Chicken and
coconut soup. We went before the theater allow yourself at least 90 minutes. Bigger selection at Yum Yum 3 than at #1 and 2

Visited January 2013

63% Recommend
winnipeg
“Good food & value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Came back to this Thai restaurant on my return visit to N.Y. Food is great & the prices are good. Service is attentive & pleasant. Convenient location - close to many theatres & to our hotel on 48th. Cosy atmosphere!

Visited September 2012
New York City, New York
“Great lunch specials”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My actor friend and I were working in the Clinton area of the city earlier in the day so we walked several blocks for Thai food as our lunch preference. 9th Avenue is known as "Restaurant Row" in Hell's Kitchen. It was a busy week day. You get two options plus a main dish. I had Thai ice tea (that was one option), the two veggie dumplings and chicken Pad Thai for under $10 per person. No chopped peanuts on my Pad Thai, I don't know why, not a big deal. There are 3 Thai restaurants next to each other, I guess if they enough business, there's nothing wrong with it. Service was fast, food was decent, I would eat here again if I'm in the area.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cortlandt Manor, New York
“Hot Spicy-Free in a Yum Yum Threesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We drove in from the suburbs to visit our friends, a young couple of Vietnamese heritage living in New York City (on the 52nd floor of a high rise with a view of the Hudson River). They had invited my wife and I for an early six o’clock dinner at a nearby midtown Vietnamese restaurant called Yum Yum 3, located on the edge of the theatre district. By the way, the words, Yum Yum, are not derived from the American slang word yummy, they actually refer to a specific exotic Thai cuisine, with a Vietnamese influence.

There are three restaurants in Manhattan with the name Yum Yum, all on the same block, same side of the street, and all are owned by the same management: Yum Yum 1, the original restaurant; Yum Yum 2; and the one we ate at, Yum Yum 3. The couple said that the number three restaurant was, by far, the best of the triumvirate. How in the world can it be that much better? It just is, they said and they should know---they have eaten in all three restaurants. They may be right. As I write this commentary, there are 12 reviewers of Yum Yum 3 on Trip Advisor and there are none (not one!) for the other two Yum Yum restaurants. Go figure.

Yum Yum 3 is rather small, seating 25 people or so, but in good weather the capacity expands with small tables and chairs set outside on the sidewalk in front. Be prepared, the place is unpretentious and, frankly, has a kind of easy going darkness you find in bars. Yet there is sufficient light to read your menu and see your food. As for the wait staff, our waitress was calm, focused, and made no errors. Drinks were prompt, glasses refilled, and plates brought and cleared with dispatch. This must be great if you’re gonna rush off to the theatre after your meal.

If anyone is uneasy about eating Vietnamese food because you worry it might be too spicy, that’s no problem at Yum Yum 3. I had steamed dumplings (shrimp, pork, herbs, and water chestnuts et al ---very tasty) and I used the soy sauce sparingly. I had the honey duck with pineapple and nuts and I said no garlic and there wasn’t any. And I had fried satay (Yum Yum 3’s menu spells the word “satae”), which is beef skewed on a wooden stick and marinated in coconut milk and then dunked in a peanut sauce. For dessert, I ordered the fried bananas with coconut ice cream, a superb concept but the chef should upgrade the ice cream. I found if you want, Yum Yum 3 could exist in a spicy-free zone.

The other three at our table who were not hot spicy adverse, feted on a series of unnamed but not forgotten Vietnamese foods that were all excellent. My wife remembers, in particular, she had a beef salad that was great (and spicy)---perhaps called “crying tiger”---which was grilled beef tossed with chili, roasted rice, onions, whatever.

In summary, overall, the food was very good, the wine was fine, and the talk at the table was easy and relaxed among friends. Long after the check was paid, we stayed at our table chatting, undisturbed. It was around eight o’clock, no one was waiting for our table, and no one appeared nearby anxious for us to leave. Perhaps, this benign attitude reflected in part the ways of the old Vietnam which had survived even amid the struggling, fast-paced hustle of New Yaawk City. May that tradition continue for another hundred years.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Funky and fun before theater shows”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I love these little places in Hell's Kitchen Road. And I say places because there are like five or six Yum Yums restaurants within the same block. I had tried about 3 of them and they all offer the same food and drinks (my favorite Lychee Martini).
Food is great the staff very attentive, maybe too much attentive :)
I recommend these restaurants if you are going to the theather, or have a low budget or you don't have much time.

• Visited August 2012