“Great hotel in Chinatown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   231 Grand Street, New York City, NY 10013-4246 (Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #237 of 464 Hotels in New York City
East Amherst, New York
“Great hotel in Chinatown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

When moving our daughter to NYC, we were looking for a hotel close to her apartment in Chinatown. The Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel was close by. It got good reviews on Tripadvisor, so we tried it. The room was quite spacious and immaculate. Price was very reasonable by NYC standards and included a great breakfast with rooftop outdoor tables. Location was perfect for our needs. Close to Little Italy too. Location is a bit far from midtown but there's a subway stop nearby. My only complaint is that there was street construction which prohibited us from having a place to drop off/pick up luggage (and the lobby is on the 2nd floor). We had to talk our way out of a parking ticket while retrieving our bags from the hotel! No on site parking but there is a secure garage a half a block away.

• Stayed July 2014
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Best Western Bowery Hanbee hotel. I am so glad we were a convenient location to assist your daughter with her move to NYC. We appreciate your time to write the review to assist us in improving our hotel and assisting future guests with their hotel selection. Midtown is very simple to get to with the B or D line at Grand Street Station a block from the hotel. It is only 4 stops away. My apologies about the construction. Fortunately it is projected to be completed mid to late September 2014. We do not offer parking on site, but there are several close lots in the area that we are happy to recommend and provide directions to. Please stay with us again when you come to visit your daughter.

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Ringsted, Vestsjalland, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Would I go there again - yes.

We needed a clean hotel with breakfast in the relative cheap end.
Everything was OK, but not more than OK.
- Oh the service was better than OK. All the staff did their job with a smile and spread a good atmosphere.
It seemed a little like they tried to make the hotel better than what the bricks and the wallpaper could offer. I think they did that very well.

There are two computers and a printer free for use in the lobby and WiFi for free in the rooms.

The bowls with food at the breakfast buffet was immediately filled, when emptied and the variety was standard american - good enough for any Westerner. I was a bit amazed that there was no Asian breakfast there, since it was in Chinatown.

Living in Chinatown was also nice. There is always good places to eat around including Western Little Italy, when you get tired of Asian food.
The hotel is close to several subway lines. It is very easy to get around that way.

There are also nice neighborhoods in walking distance nearby like SoHo, Greenwich Village, Chelsea, NoHo and TriBeCa, so it is a great place to live as a tourist.

Room Tip: As high as possible to get away from the street noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thanks you so much for staying with us at the Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel. We appreciate you sharing your experience on TripAdvisor so others can choose the perfect hotel for their stay. You did a great job highlighting not only our hotel, but our great proximity to some of the fantastic NYC neighborhoods. There are certainly great restaurants and areas to explore. We hope that the next time you are in NYC that you will stay with us again.

Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed six nights at the Best Western Bowery Hanbee on Grand Street in Chinatown and were overall quite happy with our stay. I won the hotel bidding on Hotwire for ~$185CDN all-in, which is a decent hotel rate for New York City. The hotel is located on a very busy street in Chinatown, right on the border with Little Italy. It took us around 40 minutes to get to the hotel from LGA, but we were stuck in heavy traffic once we got into Manhattan.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon at around 3:00PM and were checked in very quickly and efficiently by the front desk staff - we appreciated that our room was ready. We asked for a king bed but understandably given that we had purchased on Hotwire we were given a queen bed in what we figured was probably the smallest type of room in the hotel. We were on the ninth floor and opposite the street side of the hotel. Despite the fact that there are only two elevators, they operate quickly and efficiently. There is a very small fitness room on the tenth floor which only has three pieces of cardio equipment and nothing else, which we never used during our stay, although we did get some water from the water cooler up there.

The room was small, but well-equipped and laid out. There was a small desk with a comfortable chair to work at, and the bed was very very comfortable. Air conditioner was loud but worked very well to keep the room nice and cool, and we both slept very well every night we were at this hotel. There is a large shower but no tub, worked just fine for our purposes. It was a little tight to find some space to put our luggage in the room, but not a huge deal. Wireless internet is available and worked flawlessly - it was quick and responsive, and included in the price of the room.

There is a free breakfast that is included with the room that offers good value, even if the area is busy at times. We usually got down by around 8:30-8:45AM, and things were pretty busy but all of the items were continually restocked by the very friendly and hard-working staff, and everyone gets what they want. The selection is good, in my estimation. There are pastries and plenty of baked goods, as well as boiled eggs, and always at least one meat and one egg option (even if the eggs are kinda "scary processed"). There are also a pair of waffle-makers which worked well. For those more conscious, there are healthy options like fruit, oatmeal, and yogurt. It's a good way to start the day, even if you're a picky eater. We went once in the middle of the week at around 8:15AM and it was much quieter. When the weather is nice outside there is a large outdoor patio area with a lot of seating, but there was one morning where it was wet and rainy outside and understandably the lobby was bursting with people eating breakfast everywhere they could find a spot to sit at. So in the winter and other months where the weather is far less conducive to eating outside in the morning, probably best to get down early to avoid huge crowds and get a spot to sit and eat.

Location was excellent. Tons and tons of stuff all very close and within walking distance, including innumerable Chinese / Asian restaurants down Mott Street, the main Italian restaurant drag between Canal and Grand Streets, and SoHo just a few blocks away which offers far more upscale options. Literally just a five minute walk to the subway (Grand Street Station) which is on the B/D line - one train takes you right into the heart of Manhattan, and easy transfers are available onto many other lines to get you virtually anywhere pretty quickly (as opposed to walking or taking any kind of surface transport). For those so inclined, we would strongly suggest getting the MetroCard with 7-day unlimited rides for $31 - best deal of our vacation. We hopped on and off the subway to get virtually everywhere, and at $2.50 a ride otherwise it pays for itself if you are in town for more than 3-4 days. We just downloaded the PDFs of the subway and bus maps onto our phones and we were good to go.

Yeah, people might complain that it is loud outside and that it smells bad (what else do people expect in Chinatown?), but being of Chinese heritage I have to say that all of it added to the authenticity of our NYC experience. We never felt unsafe at any point, and we were very comfortable walking all over the city. My girlfriend had a couple of insect bites that she casually mentioned to the front desk staff, and within a few minutes someone was calling to ensure that the room was OK, etc. These were NOT bedbug bites, but the hotel staff were obviously very concerned about such a perception.

In summary, the rate that we paid for the experience that we got left us satisfied. Good free breakfast, good reliable internet access, and comfortable sleeps are really the core of the hotel experience, and the Best Western Bowery Hanbee provided all of these and didn't force us to pay for anything other than storing our luggage (a small and reasonable $5 fee). Staff were friendly, location was excellent and very close to the subway that allows access to the rest of the city. Recommended!

The hotel otherwise is pretty basic, but for the rate that we paid and the service

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room away from the street for a quiet sleep.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and writing such a comprehensive review about your experience in NYC. It will assist future guests in selecting the best hotel for their visit. We appreciate the feedback as well so we can continue to do good things well and improve where we can. I am so glad you were able to enjoy the neighborhoods around the hotel. There is amazing food and shopping in this area. You are very correct that breakfast after 8:30am can be very busy. The patio is wonderful during warmer weather. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

In my last hotel review, for a Best Western in Oceanside, CA, I chalked Best Western (BW) up as "average." And I'm a Rewards member!

But after staying at the Bowery Hanbee, in the heart of Chinatown, I've changed my tune. BWs are capable of being much, much more!

I took a red-eye from LA to JFK, leaving Friday night and landing Saturday morning. I tried to kill as much time in JFK as humanly possible (which turns out to be about twenty minutes), but eventually just took the train to the hotel. It was about 8am and check-in wasn't until 4. My plan was to store my luggage there and walk around Lower Manhattan. But Jeffrey, the front desk clerk, found an available room and put me in it!

The room itself was nice-looking, clean, and comfortable. It had almost everything I wanted - an iron, a coffee maker, a safe, plenty of drawers - the only thing missing was a refrigerator. I compromised by keeping things on the AC unit, but a dorm fridge would be a welcome addition.

Throughout my stay, the staff was friendly, the housekeepers thorough and non-intrusive. Chinatown maybe isn't the nicest neighborhood, but it's definitely not bad, and the staff worked hard to make the place feel clean and safe. My second night, construction started at eleven o'clock at night at the corner of Grand and Bowery. Maybe it was because of my rear-facing room, but I didn't hear a peep of it from inside.

My only hiccup was trying to get my Rewards points. Because I booked through Priceline, they couldn't give me any points, which was a bit of a bummer, but that's life, and the front desk gave me tips to avoid that in the future.

Overall, a really stellar experience, and I'll be back the next time I'm in New York.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
I am so glad our hotel restored your faith in Best Western. I will certainly celebrate your comments with my staff. It is great to hear that they took such great care of you during your stay. We appreciate you sharing your stay on TripAdvisor. Best Western guarantees that you will receive the same price on any site (or direct with the hotel), so if you are a reward member, please book at BestWestern.com or with the hotel direct to ensure you are eligible for your points. We look forward to you next stay with us.

St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great location with staff who are great. When we checked in, the room we were given had a strange odor to it and the air conditioner didnt work effectively. When we asked to change rooms late at night, Ryan at the front desk, was very accommodating and moved us to a different room. The day time front desk person, Jeffrey, was also very helpful and friendly. Gave us several recommendations and helped us order a car for LaGuardia Airport. The staff here really go above and beyond to make you comfortable. Only complaint is that our mattress in the second room was extremely sloped and uncomfortable. We didn't want to complain about this after they switched us to the new room. If hotel management is reading this, it's the mattress in the king size room on the 2nd floor (down the hall, to the right, the room right next to the emergency exit door, can't recall the room #).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am so glad the staff took good care of you. I apologize about the condition of the first room and the second bed. We are in the process of changing out the king mattresses and will make sure the 2nd floor is next. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor so future travelers can make the best decision for their stay. Please come stay with us again the next time you are in NYC.

All the best!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I enjoyed this hotel. The room was nice, breakfast was pretty good. Internet was reliable. The best thing about it was the location. Very close to Chinatown and Little Italy, short walk to SoHo. Just blocks away there are walk in massage places. I went to one on the corner of Broom and Elizabeth. Excellent. There are tons of cute shops, restaurants, bars, hair/nail salons. Whole Foods is a few blocks away. Great location for downtown activities. It's also near subways and the M103 bus. Taxis are easy to get nearby. One bit of advice about staying here... ask for a room AWAY from the elevator and away from the ice machine. I was near both and it was unbearably noisy. Other than that it's was quite nice. Do not stay in an "01" room. Also, my room did not have a tub, only a shower. Fine for me, but some people want to be able to take a bath. Some rooms may have tubs, but ask in advance if you require one. The staff is lovely-- everyone was friendly and very helpful. The breakfast is pretty good, but if you are vegan, it might not work for you. There was not a non dairy option for milk. If you're not vegetarian, it's good.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor. I am pleased you were able to explore the area. There are so many great shops, restaurants, etc. I will have to try the massage place. Please stay with us again the next time you are in NYC!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed 2 nights here - our first visit to NY. What a gem of a hotel. Great location if you like to eat. The staff were very helpful. I was expecting to be kept awake all night with the noise from outside but with the window closed the outside world was shut out - & what a bonus a hotel room with opening windows. Will be returning there in a week & a half for our final few days in NY & the States.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for selecting our hotel for your first stay in NYC. I am so glad you were able to enjoy the wonderful food in our area. I find this area much quieter than midtown. Luckily the construction project is coming to a close in our area. We appreciate your review of our hotel to assist future travelers. We hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel? Share your experiences!