“Great Spot near Chinatown and Little Italy....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   231 Grand Street, New York City, NY 10013-4246 (Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #189 of 452 Hotels in New York City
Calgary, Canada
“Great Spot near Chinatown and Little Italy....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The folks at the hotel were very helpful and accommodating and the room was always clean and tidy! The only thing is that there are no great breakfast spots within a couple of blocks, but if you don't mind walking for 10 minutes there are a couple of good ones. Yet the continental breakfasts at the hotel are enough to get a person going, if you are budget minded. The views from the hotel are not that great on the north side of the building, but I can't comment on the south side. Overall the hotel is a great spot if being close to lower Manhattan is your objective and this is a hotel to really consider. Enjoy your stay - we did!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for selecting to stay at our hotel when you were in NYC. We appreciate your feedback and I will certainly celebrate with my team what they are doing well. There are some nice breakfast restaurants in SoHo that the team can recommend, if you would prefer a different breakfast than the one we provide. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The hotel is good. I spent just one night. Its pretty decent. Breakfast was include. The room was very clean and comfortable. Love the shower!! walking distance to the subway!!!! Totally worth it. I recommend. The only downside is the area around... not too cute, but it didn't bother me.

Room Tip: U may think its far from Times Square... but its just some metro stations down.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel. Times Square and anywhere in NYC is so easy to get to with the Subway system on Grand or Canal Street stations (close to the hotel). We hope you will be able to stay with us for a longer stay in the future.

All the best!
Lansdowne, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Hello,

We stayed at the hotel during pride weekend and we liked the place overall. It's not high-end but it's located close to good restaurants, bars and not far from Tribeca. We would stay again if we could get a good rate -- our reservation was last minute so we overpaid, considerably. Pretty decent breakfast, overall.

Room Tip: High floor away from the elevator!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We appreciate you selecting our hotel and sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor. This is certainly a great area for wonderful restaurants and shopping. You did stay with us on a high demand time and last minute, many times our less expensive rooms have already sold out. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I was meeting up for a G Adventures trip from New York to New Orleans which would include a lot of camping. I would arrive in New York a few days before the trip was to begin, so I thought I would stay at a higher quality hotel in order to have a few luxuries before the trip began. The room I stayed in had two large double beds, so I could pick and choose where I slept. They were extremely comfortable, and came with a great number of pillows, which was very much appreciated. The bathroom was very spacious, and the power shower was very much as advertised. Free internet was available, and the breakfast was of a high quality. The hotel's location was particularly good for me, as the local subway stations were very close (Bowery J/Z lines and Grand Street B/D Lines) and allowed quick access to lower Manhattan, and the ability to get up to Central Park and beyond. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and did all they could to help. The hotel have a luggage store, and I was able to make use of this on my last day before I left, which was extremely helpful. I would stay here again if I was in New York, and would advise anyone else to stay too.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for selecting our hotel for your first time to the USA. I am so glad we were such a great stay prior to you also exploring New Orleans. It wounds like a wonderful trip. We appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel and sharing your experience with others. I will certainly celebrate your kind words with my staff. We hope you will return to NYC again and stay with us in the future.

All the best!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Our second last day (Saturday July 12) in NYC, we received a voicemail message left at around 1:20pm at our hotel room from the front desk that they had received a complaint that was accusing us that we were smoking or smell of smoke coming from our room. We couldn't believe this as my wife and I have never smoked in our entire lives. This didn't make any sense to us as we left the hotel that morning to go shopping just before 10am and did not return back to our room until after 5pm the same day. We have shopping receipts to prove that we were out shopping. In addition, we were not around anyone who were smoking at all their clothes and breath will smell of smoke. When we came back from our shopping trip, we noticed that the main hallway smelled of cigarette smoke, but when we went into our room, there was no smoking smell. We did noticed that there was a hint of curry bbq smell that maybe the housekeeper had for lunch as there was a curry bbq vendor cart at the corner of Grand and Bowery. We went to the front desk and complain about the voicemail accusing us of smoking in our room. The evening front desk guy did not know what we were talking about as he was not aware of any messages left from the morning. My wife did tell the font desk guy that she saw a guest with a box of cigarettes in his hand when we were taking the elevator down that morning on our way to go shopping. The evening guy told us to check back with the morning guy as he was the one that left the voicemail message. On our last day (Sunday) morning, we talked to the morning guy and he apologized for the voicemail. However, we are still unhappy because as guests in your hotel, you cannot accuse guests that they are smokers without any proof. Usually guests who are smokers have a yellowish discoloration on their skin between their index and middle finger when they hold a cigarette. Also, a smoker's clothes and their breath will smell of smoke. This is why we gave a "Poor" rating. If we didn't get any complaints, the hotel could have earned "Very Good". There was also road construction in front of hotel. The room, the service and cleanliness were very good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
My sincere apologies about the terrible way you had to end your stay with us. That is certainly unacceptable. Although we do take smoking in our 100% non-smoking hotel very serious, your experience was not handled properly. I have addressed it with my entire team and we have come to an agreement how to better handle this in the future. I do appreciate your feedback, so we can address it and improve in the future. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you the next time you are in NYC. Please email me directly if you will be returning to NYC and would like to stay with us and I will personally make sure you are well cared for.

White River Junction, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I brought a group of 14 to the hotel last week. It was quiet, secure, and clean. Best of all were the front desk staff who helped everyone find their way around. Breakfast was the basic chain hotel breakfast but with good coffee and an outdoor seating area that was quiet and secluded. I would stay again if coming to this part of NYC.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your NYC trip. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am so glad you were able to enjoy the rooftop patio for your breakfast. I think it is a wonderful way to start the morning. We hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in NYC.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The area is bustling with "Little Italy" and "Chinatown" shoppers by day and the area is quite congested. However this hotel, , whose lobby is actually a couple floors up, provided an oasis of quiet and organization. The room was fine with features one expects--in room coffee maker, etc. but the included breakfast was better than most places. An added treat is one can take their breakfast out onto lower rooftop eating area ( in the shade) . The check in personnel were busy but always polite. As with many BW hotels, shop around for dates, etc for best prices.

Room Tip: No real problems in the room I had which I believe did face a street. Other buildings seem to muffl...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for selecting our hotel for your NYC stay and taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I also find the hotel to be an oasis away from all the hustle and bustle of NYC. I am so glad you were able to enjoy breakfast on the patio. It is a wonderful way to start your day. Please come stay with us again soon!

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel? Share your experiences!