“I felt like a cosmopolitan New Yorker after three nights here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   231 Grand Street, New York City, NY 10013-4246 (Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #186 of 451 hotels in New York City
Germantown, Maryland
“I felt like a cosmopolitan New Yorker after three nights here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Make no mistake, this hotel is in Chinatown. There are fish, food, and flower stands up and down both sides of the street. The nights I was there, there were more French-speaking folks there than any other language. Staff was stellar, room was great, shower head was fabulous, free breakfast was generous, and it's two blocks from Little Italy. For the money, I was ecstatic about my decision to stay here. Be sure to stop at Ferrara's just up the street!

Room Tip: Costs extra to have them watch your luggage if you need to hang around after check-out time, which i...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Love your headline! I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel. I will certainly share your comments with the staff to keep doing the great job they are doing. Thank you for selecting our hotel for your NYC trip and taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to your next stay with us.

All the best!

792 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

we turned up unexpectedly early at 9-ish morning instead of what we had previously advised eta @6pm. only having the thought to store our luggages but was offered a room to check in.... first good news
Mr Hugh who attended us even offered us to consume the bfast which will be closing in 10min time.... second good news
a ring call to the front desk for an additional towel was immediately being delivered to our room.
i have all praises to the services in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
I am so pleased to hear about the excellent service Hugh and the team provided to you you during your stay with us at the Best Western Bowery. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us.

All the best!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

When our senior class was staying in the Best Western hotel, we were ready to leave the moment we walked in . There wasn't any hot water in the hotel, there was mildew on the floors, and some of the rooms only had one bed for four people. It was the worst hotel I've ever been in my whole life. I will never attend a Best Western hotel again.

Room Tip: Just don't check in you will be disappointed
Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
I appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel. I sincerely apologize that you did not have a pleasant or acceptable stay with us. I do not remember ever not having hot water. We did have two days in the past year that the city shut down the water for 2-6 hours and certainly tried to communicate that to our guests. Please contact me below if you feel there was an error in your bed type and I am happy to research it. Ensuring guests receive the room type they booked is very important to us.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Right in the Heart of Chinatown, near the Grand St. subway...very busy, even for New York. Might be a turn off to some people, but this is a little gem of a hotel. Friendly staff, clean & nicely decorated rooms. Rates were on the reasonable side for New York, but the hotel is a little off the beaten track, but the subway proximity makes up for it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the staff. The subway makes it easy to get to anywhere in NYC you would like to go. We hope you will stay with us again soon.

Torrance, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Hotel right in the middle of Chinatown - walking around the area was already interesting and provided new impressions. A few subway stations a couple of blocks away in three different directions - so good connections available. Lots of Italian restaurant choices in nearby Little Italy. Hotel itself very friendly, helpful staff. I arrived in the morning hours and was given a room right away- how nice of them. Room interior was modern, bathroom fresh and clean. Bed was ok. My only negative: this was late April and one night was so cold, I was shivering in the room. After experimenting with the Heating/ AC unit, I asked the front desk to help me figure out how to warm up the room and even they could not get Heating to work. Result: the manager told the front desk guy the heat was already TURNED OFF for the Spring and Summer. I got extra blankets and wore my sweater and scarf in bed. Brrrrr - cold room. Overall, a nice hotel with a good breakfast spread.

Room Tip: My room was on the 2nd floor (corridor right behind the lobby) and faced the courtyard. VERY quiet...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback so we can celebrate what we do well and improve where can. My sincere apologies about the heat. Spring and Fall are challenging to have the correct system on. During those times, it is best to completely turn off the unit. The heated bathroom floors are also nice when it is chilly. There is an extra blanket in the Armoire and we are happy to provide more upon request. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you when you return to NYC.

Queens, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Staff is always extremely courteous, pleasant and helpful. It's why my family and I have stayed at this hotel for the past few family reunions. The breakfast is plentiful, beds very comfortable and the king suite very spacious!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thanks so much for returning to stay at Best Western Bowery. We appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I will certainly celebrate your comments with my staff. We look forward to your next stay with us.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

The staff at this hotel were fabulous. The hotel it's self is in china town so expect to feel as though you are in china. Not that that's a bad thing. Down town is really easy to walk round and the transport is ok once you do it a few times. Hotel is $13 cab ride to Times Square. Too far to walk unless you are a walker. Hotel clean and pleasant. Breakfast was a bit of a let down. Traditional buffet style but fighting over the eggs and bacon as the trays where so small. Each tray off eggs fed 3 guests and then you have to wait for the next one.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words about the staff. I will certainly celebrate your comments with them. We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your NYC stay and for sharing your experience. Another option to Times Square is to take the B or D subway only a block away and it will get you there in about 15 minutes. We hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in NYC.

Gwen D Lytle
Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel? Share your experiences!