“good location - fair price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   231 Grand Street, New York City, NY 10013-4246 (Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #191 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Torrance, California
“good location - fair price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Hotel right in the middle of Chinatown - walking around the area was already interesting and provided new impressions. A few subway stations a couple of blocks away in three different directions - so good connections available. Lots of Italian restaurant choices in nearby Little Italy. Hotel itself very friendly, helpful staff. I arrived in the morning hours and was given a room right away- how nice of them. Room interior was modern, bathroom fresh and clean. Bed was ok. My only negative: this was late April and one night was so cold, I was shivering in the room. After experimenting with the Heating/ AC unit, I asked the front desk to help me figure out how to warm up the room and even they could not get Heating to work. Result: the manager told the front desk guy the heat was already TURNED OFF for the Spring and Summer. I got extra blankets and wore my sweater and scarf in bed. Brrrrr - cold room. Overall, a nice hotel with a good breakfast spread.

Room Tip: My room was on the 2nd floor (corridor right behind the lobby) and faced the courtyard. VERY quiet...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
We appreciate your feedback so we can celebrate what we do well and improve where can. My sincere apologies about the heat. Spring and Fall are challenging to have the correct system on. During those times, it is best to completely turn off the unit. The heated bathroom floors are also nice when it is chilly. There is an extra blanket in the Armoire and we are happy to provide more upon request. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you when you return to NYC.

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Queens, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Staff is always extremely courteous, pleasant and helpful. It's why my family and I have stayed at this hotel for the past few family reunions. The breakfast is plentiful, beds very comfortable and the king suite very spacious!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thanks so much for returning to stay at Best Western Bowery. We appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I will certainly celebrate your comments with my staff. We look forward to your next stay with us.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

The staff at this hotel were fabulous. The hotel it's self is in china town so expect to feel as though you are in china. Not that that's a bad thing. Down town is really easy to walk round and the transport is ok once you do it a few times. Hotel is $13 cab ride to Times Square. Too far to walk unless you are a walker. Hotel clean and pleasant. Breakfast was a bit of a let down. Traditional buffet style but fighting over the eggs and bacon as the trays where so small. Each tray off eggs fed 3 guests and then you have to wait for the next one.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words about the staff. I will certainly celebrate your comments with them. We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your NYC stay and for sharing your experience. Another option to Times Square is to take the B or D subway only a block away and it will get you there in about 15 minutes. We hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in NYC.

Gwen D Lytle
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have no complaints about the hotel room and breakfast service. However, I think it is good for all guests to be aware of that the hotel charges your credit card twice (in case of "accidents" that may happen in your room during your stay). It took 8 days before the hotel dropped the charge - when I was already back home. So if you want to have some money for NY shopping be sure to load your card with some extra money! I don't think the hotel is allowed to make charges like these!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
My sincere apologies that you feel your credit card was charged erroneously. I unfortunately am not aware of your particular situation, but if you would like to email me at the address below, I am happy to research it. At check in, we authorize the credit card at check in for Room, tax, and incidentals for the entire stay. At check out, we use the authorization code that was received at check in to charge the credit card and any over-authorization will drop off. It can be difficult to tell the difference between the authorizations and charges through online banking. I do appreciate the feedback and will follow up with my staff to ensure that this procedure is being done correctly. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you the next time you are in NYC.

Hasselt, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed 6 nights at Best Western in April 2014. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We had a good night sleep with no noises from outside. Breakfast is served every morning until 10 a.m. Breakfast isn't that divers or special, but it's included in the price. The location of the hotel is more downtown, at the border of China Town and Littly Italy, with 3 different subway stations closeby. We had a lovely stay and will definitely come back to Best Western!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I will certainly share your comments with my team at our daily meeting to continue to focus on what we are doing well. We look forward to you next stay with us!

Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed at this hotel last week. The room cost for the whole stay was "authorized" on my credit card at check in which is fair enough. When checking out, the same sum was "authorized" once more from the account, hence twice the cost was held by the hotel and made inaccessible for me. Two days after check out, the room cost was withdrawn again, now making the cost of room X 3 inaccessible. Thus, rather than $833 for three nights, the hotel held $ 2499 on my credit card for more than 9 days, making me completely broke during my stay in the US. So if you don't want to be stranded without money on your vacation, either you choose a different hotel, or you make sure that you have three times the cost for the rooms on your credit card.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
I sincerely apologize for the confusion with your credit card. It is a terrible thing that occurred to you. Upon check in we do authorize the credit card for room, tax and incidentals for the entire stay. At check out, if you use the same credit card, we use the authorization code received upon check in for the charges and any over authorization with drop off when the actual charges go through. It is rare for the card to be authorized and charged many times, but sadly it can occur for numerous reasons and we work with the bank to clear up the over-authorization quickly. If you would like me to look into your situation, so we can ensure everything is corrected, please email me at the address below. We do appreciate your business and hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you whenever you are in NYC.

Northampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

If your planning a visit to NYC and looking for a hotel that is away from uptown Manhattan, this is a great Hotel to stay in, very clean large rooms, buffet style breakfast, and very friendly staff.
It is in a great location, China Town and Little Italy on you door step, subway just a few blocks away,

Room Tip: Sorry no pool clicked by accident
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind review of our hotel. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed you time in NYC. We appreciate you selecting our hotel and look forward to your next stay with us.

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel? Share your experiences!